Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will like to get a full sized 18 inch spare tire for 2016 EX. Has anyone done so for your Pilot? If I were to go hunting in the junk yard to find one that's compatible, what shall I look for? What is the rim size/width specification?

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I did this with my 2004 EX-L, I went on ebay picked up a used factory rim and threw on a new tire. You could get a new aftermarket rim cheap and a tire from tire rack and have them mount and balance it and your done.

·
Super Moderator
15,157 Posts
Do you want to simply match the overall size of the wheel and tire or want to match the wheel style as well?
If the latter, since it's so new you are likely to have to go to a dealer for the wheel.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I bet there are at least a few people spending money on aftermarket wheels.

Just search ebay, Craigslist and here to find someone selling a set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hope someone can help with the details on bolt pattern for the 2016 Pilot. My 2012 Pilot had a (confirmed) bolt pattern of 5-120. Have read in several places that the 2016 has the a different bolt pattern 5-114 and the 5-120 will not fit. Other info says the 5-120 will in fact bolt to the 16 Pilot with no problem. Local Discount Tire folks who have been a good source of info in the past are saying that going with the 5-120 is not recommended. Honda OEM rims, even from "discount" dealers are more than double what Discount Tire says is similar looking rim that meets all specs for the 16 Pilot. Anyone got the real facts? Many thanks. I drive the AlCan and do not feel the donut spare is adequate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You don't need a Honda wheel if it's only for use as a spare. I would just confirm the specs and make sure it fits under your Honda.
But if you plan to use Honda lug nuts, you probably need a Honda wheel. Honda uses the "ball-seat" style lug nut and most other wheels on the planet use a straight-taper "cone seat", especially in the US market. So if you get a wheel that doesn't have a "ball-seat" lug nut interface, you will need to carry appropriate lug nuts. I have aftermarket winter "cone seat" wheels on some of my Honda/Acura vehicles, and I have to remember to stash Honda "ball-seat" lug nuts for the compact spare. ( And try to educate other drivers of said vehicles on the difference... ) PITA.

Wheel fasteners: Understanding the nuts and bolts of wheel clamping - Automotive Service Professional

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Has anybody confirmed the bolt pattern of the 2016 pilot?
Yes, 2016- 3rd-gen Pilot uses 5 x 120mm
2009-2015 2nd-gen Pilot uses 5 x 120mm
2003-2008 1st-gen Pilot uses 5 x 114mm

2014- 3rd-gen MDX uses 5 x 114mm
2007-2013 2nd-gen MDX uses 5 x 120mm
2001-2006 1st-gen MDX uses 5 x 114mm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi folks, bear with me for another full size spare question. I've searched and read a number of threads, but I just want to be sure I get the optimum size wheel and tire for my model. I have a 2013 Pilot EX 4WD. The four regular tires I have are P235/60R18. Based on what I've read so far, I ordered a $75 new steel wheel off of eBay Motors for the Ridgeline/Pilot years 2009-2015, 17" x 7.5", 5 lug pattern, 5x120. Am I okay so far?

If so, for this wheel, what size tire do I put on for proper diameter given it's a spare but 4WD with towing and still get optimal fit underneath?

Thanks for any help.

Hank

·
Registered
60 Posts
No one has answered me a question I have. Will a full size spare fits in the area where the doughnut is at?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I confirmed that it will fit in the same question you asked in the "Spare tire" thread. If the OEM full size will fit with an OEM tow hitch. The OEM full size will better without the OEM tow hitch.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Full size spare tire

Here's some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
You were able to fit stock 20's. Wow was there room to spare? My ride is a Gen 2. Running 255 50 19's and I am worried about the tire width. I know some are using stock 235 65 17's. as a spare. But nothing over that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts