Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm. I hope the question is clear but while driving today I noticed the hot and cold line is halfway. It sits right below the little boat picture. In my previous car; it stayed at the bottom near the cold. It hasn’t moved or anything but it’s something I just noticed. I want to make sure this is normal. The car is still under warranty so please share your thoughts with me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Temperature gauge

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
401 Posts
For Pilots it reads typically dead center between Cold and Hot when warmed up. It won't move higher unless you are starting to overheat. There is a wide "dead zone" where the gauge doesn't move with respect to coolant temp, probably 170F up to 210F.

If you install a VCM disabling device the coolant temp will read a little lower, which is the trick the devices uses to keep VCM off.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
For Pilots it reads typically dead center between Cold and Hot when warmed up. It won't move higher unless you are starting to overheat. There is a wide "dead zone" where the gauge doesn't move with respect to coolant temp, probably 170F up to 210F.

If you install a VCM disabling device the coolant temp will read a little lower, which is the trick the devices uses to keep VCM off.
Yep mine read pretty well center between hot and cold until I installed the SVCM and now it reads 1/2 a graduation below center when warmed up.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Umm. I hope the question is clear but while driving today I noticed the hot and cold line is halfway. It sits right below the little boat picture. In my previous car; it stayed at the bottom near the cold. It hasn’t moved or anything but it’s something I just noticed. I want to make sure this is normal. The car is still under warranty so please share your thoughts with me. Thanks.
+/-middle is normal (180F-205F). “At the bottom near the cold“ mark likely means the gauge/sensor is faulty or the thermostat has been removed/stuck open/incorrect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you! I didn’t pay attention to this at the dealership and I was worried. I just purchased last week.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Thank you! I didn’t pay attention to this at the dealership and I was worried. I just purchased last week.
If the outside air temp is very cold and you're running the heat full blast and moving, the temperature gauge can point significantly below center. If you see it in the center in warmer weather with the heat off, it might be ok.

·
Registered
841 Posts
There can always be some extremes that will move the factory needle ever so slightly from where it "normally" would reside. "it stayed at the bottom near the cold" does not sound normal. What does "stayed" mean....the devil is in the details.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
If your gage is always reading on the cold side then one common problem could be a stuck thermostat in the wide open position. While this may not sound as bad as a thermostat that is stuck closed (over heating engine), it can be detrimental to your vehicle as well.

A thermostat that is stuck wide open can cause you vehicle to burn more fuel at the ECU will try to get the vehicle to warm up to the proper operation temp. A constant rich fuel mixture will cause carbon build up over time and can even cause damage to the catalytic converter as excess unburnt fuel can enter the exhaust system.

I would suggest that you have the issue looked at to determine if it is a problem. Even if it is a faulty gage or temp sensor, a non functioning temp gage can cause serious damage to your engine since you will not know the status of the coolant temp.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
I forgot to add (in my post #6 above), a "failsafe" brand t-stat can cause "it stayed at the bottom near the cold".

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 14 of 14 Posts