Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
Most of the time it's all built into the fuel pump assembly. I believe most manufacturers started somtime in 2000s.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum diaphragm as part of it's design. It's not going to be in the tank. Look near the fuel rail and intake manifold. I believe that it's mounted on a fuel rail near the throttle body. Google it!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum diaphragm as part of it's design. It's not going to be in the tank. Look near the fuel rail and intake manifold. I believe that it's mounted on a fuel rail near the throttle body. Google it!
I did ..nothing came back for the 06 that's why i posted here

·
Registered
135 Posts
The '06 has a returnless EFI fuel system so there is no fuel return line as like on my '04 which is a return system with a vacuum driven regulator providing returning fuel to the tank. The reason is the EPA and the regulations to drive down the fuel vapors in the EVAP system due to hot fuel returning to the tank. You'll notice your '06 has no fuel return line at the tank, Only the fuel supply line and the vapor control valve line to the canister.

·
Registered
06 Pilot EX-L 3.5l 4wd
5 Posts
So my problem is the same can't find the fuel regulator, the new fuel pump doesn't seem to have one on it. I have a 06 Honda Pilot and has trouble starting. This is the second go at it I've pulled all 6 plugs when it wouldn't start and all are soaked with fuel. Ive let it sit and dry out put them back in and it cranks right up. This being the second time I was thinking the pressure is released dumping whatever fuel the rails have in them flooding the plugs. It only happens when it has sat for a few hours. The first go around after I pulled the plugs and they dried out it ran for 2 months with every now and again a misfire upon start, but after a few starts check engine light goes away. Has been running fine till yesterday the plugs again we're flooded. Any thoughts or anyone confirm the regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly?

·
Registered
955 Posts
MY BAD! I am still learning. Learning that I should keep quiet if I'm not sure on something. After a little research, it is clear that the fuel pressure regulator on the 2006 Pilot is built into the fuel pump, and thus lives in the gas tank as part of the fuel pump. If you have fuel pressure problems on these cars, you need to replace the fuel pump.

On earlier Pilots, and on many other earlier fuel injected cars, the regulator was up in the engine compartment, and was part of the intake manifold assembly. I assumed that this design was still universal. Obviously not. Again, my bad.

Mea Culpa !

·
Registered
955 Posts
So my problem is the same can't find the fuel regulator, the new fuel pump doesn't seem to have one on it. I have a 06 Honda Pilot and has trouble starting. This is the second go at it I've pulled all 6 plugs when it wouldn't start and all are soaked with fuel. Ive let it sit and dry out put them back in and it cranks right up. This being the second time I was thinking the pressure is released dumping whatever fuel the rails have in them flooding the plugs. It only happens when it has sat for a few hours. The first go around after I pulled the plugs and they dried out it ran for 2 months with every now and again a misfire upon start, but after a few starts check engine light goes away. Has been running fine till yesterday the plugs again we're flooded. Any thoughts or anyone confirm the regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly?
Look on Rock Auto, and find the Delco fuel pump that is spec'ed to fit your Pilot. If you read the info link for this part, you will see that the regulator is integrated into the pump assembly.

·
Registered
06 Pilot EX-L 3.5l 4wd
5 Posts
MY BAD! I am still learning. Learning that I should keep quiet if I'm not sure on something. After a little research, it is clear that the fuel pressure regulator on the 2006 Pilot is built into the fuel pump, and thus lives in the gas tank as part of the fuel pump. If you have fuel pressure problems on these cars, you need to replace the fuel pump.

On earlier Pilots, and on many other earlier fuel injected cars, the regulator was up in the engine compartment, and was part of the intake manifold assembly. I assumed that this design was still universal. Obviously not. Again, my bad.

Mea Culpa !

Yeah I went to a pick and pull junk yard and bought a fuel pump for 15$ and took it apart! Fuel regulator is built in the pump and not at the fuel rails!

·
Registered
955 Posts
After reading your description of the engine flooding after the key is turned off, I suspect that the fuel pressure regulator is not the problem. You may have worn out injectors that allow fuel to leak into the cylinders after key off.

·
Registered
06 Pilot EX-L 3.5l 4wd
5 Posts
After reading your description of the engine flooding after the key is turned off, I suspect that the fuel pressure regulator is not the problem. You may have worn out injectors that allow fuel to leak into the cylinders after key off.
Kinda thought the same just don’t know how everyone of them would go bad all at once. I could see maybe 2 or 3 but all 6? I just changed the full pump out today with a used me that looked to be in good condition I put a new screen and replace few parts. We shall see how it goes!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Kinda thought the same just don’t know how everyone of them would go bad all at once. I could see maybe 2 or 3 but all 6? I just changed the full pump out today with a used me that looked to be in good condition I put a new screen and replace few parts. We shall see how it goes!
My 2003 had a tendency to flood on a hot restart attempt. I always suspected that the injectors were leaking, but never confirmed it. Gave the car to my son! He tried running a couple of cans of Techron through the system, and it did seem to help. Although, if the injectors are worn, the real fix is new ones.

·
Registered
06 Pilot EX-L 3.5l 4wd
5 Posts
My 2003 had a tendency to flood on a hot restart attempt. I always suspected that the injectors were leaking, but never confirmed it. Gave the car to my son! He tried running a couple of cans of Techron through the system, and it did seem to help. Although, if the injectors are worn, the real fix is new ones.
This all started from my timing belt going out, bent 4 valves so head them redone and put it all back together. Since then I’ve been changing all sensors, coil packs, plugs, egr, pcv, the works. It has 185,500 just going to slowly change and fix what I can to keep it running good.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This all started from my timing belt going out, bent 4 valves so head them redone and put it all back together. Since then I’ve been changing all sensors, coil packs, plugs, egr, pcv, the works. It has 185,500 just going to slowly change and fix what I can to keep it running good.
Wish you all the best with your 2006. The Pilots are durable vehicles. We would probably still be driving the 2003, except for the rust that compromised the hitch mounting area. We could not trust the hitch attachment any more, so I cut the rear section of the hitch out and gave the Pilot to my son as a winter beater. Now we have a 2018 and a payment, but that's the way it goes!

A lot of discussion on this forum concerns the transmissions on the older Pilots. They really are fairly reliable, but they do need regular ATF changes. If your 2006 driveline is working well, please stay on top of ATF changes and fresh VTM-4 fluid for the rear axle. I think that you also have a transfer case at the driveshaft to transaxle connection that uses a hypoid oil. I am assuming that you have the AWD Pilot.

·
Registered
06 Pilot EX-L 3.5l 4wd
5 Posts
Wish you all the best with your 2006. The Pilots are durable vehicles. We would probably still be driving the 2003, except for the rust that compromised the hitch mounting area. We could not trust the hitch attachment any more, so I cut the rear section of the hitch out and gave the Pilot to my son as a winter beater. Now we have a 2018 and a payment, but that's the way it goes!

A lot of discussion on this forum concerns the transmissions on the older Pilots. They really are fairly reliable, but they do need regular ATF changes. If your 2006 driveline is working well, please stay on top of ATF changes and fresh VTM-4 fluid for the rear axle. I think that you also have a transfer case at the driveshaft to transaxle connection that uses a hypoid oil. I am assuming that you have the AWD Pilot.

Yeah I have the 06 Pilot EX-L 3.5l 4wd, I actually already have the oil and just ordered the hand pump to help with changing the rear axle. Thanx for the heads up on the transaxle I’ll have to get to that one also!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts