Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing the remaining hoses in my power steering system.
I have them in my cart ready for checkout at Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts

is this a reputable site or is there a better one that is possibly cheaper?

should I even bother comparing prices with my local dealer?

thanks!

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I'd simply google the part # and avoid ebay. After getting the top 3 or 4 best prices, proceed to check out and see what the shipping cost will be.
I've used www.oempartsource.com . I'm not sure how they pull off getting the best price. But the 2 things I've bought from them has been legit. (BMW transmission mount, Honda valve cover) They also work through Amazon.

Reactions: Hondapark

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm looking at replacing the remaining hoses in my power steering system.
I have them in my cart ready for checkout at Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts

is this a reputable site or is there a better one that is possibly cheaper?

should I even bother comparing prices with my local dealer?

thanks!
I have been using Amazon since most dealers and OEM parts stores charge shipping which brings their prices higher than what I get on Amazon Prime. Plus next day is often free. I've had good luck when the second source for Amazon is oempartsource.com. So far the parts I've received from them are genuine OEM as far as I can tell, and arrive very quickly. I still check around by part number just to keep them honest.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I know how some want OEM only, but I'd have no problem buying this aftermarket Edelmann power steering hose. These are AWD 2wd sensitive.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
If you ever done the power steering hose you would see that even the slightest mis bend would cause it to not fit correctly. The power steering line replacement is incredibly difficult to do on a 4wd pilot. Wouldn’t recommend ever cheaping out on it to do it twice. It took hours to do because you can’t reach anything.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If you ever done the power steering hose you would see that even the slightest mis bend would cause it to not fit correctly. The power steering line replacement is incredibly difficult to do on a 4wd pilot. Wouldn’t recommend ever cheaping out on it to do it twice. It took hours to do because you can’t reach anything.
How could anyone possibly mis bend something this simple?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Agree.....the PS hose installation struggle is real and if the less expensive hose needs a few small tweaks here or there to correct the shipping bends one should be GTG

·
Read Only
293 Posts
If the angle of the hose isn’t perfect by the time it gets to the power steering rack then there is no way to fix it. These hoses don’t bend without collapsing. One part doesn’t fit across the rack and you’re stuck. It’s already nearly impossible to thread in the perfect fitting oem one on the ground.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
If the angle of the hose isn’t perfect by the time it gets to the power steering rack then there is no way to fix it. These hoses don’t bend without collapsing. One part doesn’t fit across the rack and you’re stuck. It’s already nearly impossible to thread in the perfect fitting oem one on the ground.
Duly noted.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Agree.....the PS hose installation struggle is real and if the less expensive hose needs a few small tweaks here or there to correct the shipping bends one should be GTG
I'm suggesting the aftermarket based on the 35 reviews on Amazon. If it were garbage, there would be more complaints. It may be worth a shot if your on a budget.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Lots of fake amazon reviews about anchor engine mounts too, but we all know they are total junk and last about 5k miles, haha.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Lots of fake amazon reviews about anchor engine mounts too, but we all know they are total junk and last about 5k miles, haha.
Did you read up on Edelmann?
If you find some dirt, please let me know.
Link in post #5.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I don’t waste my time with aftermarket parts that take hours of my time to put in and if they fail can destroy my whole car. Not worth the money saved. Power steering fluid on a timing belt wouldn’t be pretty.

I just replaced a standard motor products coil from amazon that lasted 5k miles with an oem one that had 200k miles on it, the old oem fixed the amazon coil misfire. The amazon coil had glowing reviews and wasted my $30. Look at the duralast tensioner guy trying to save a buck by going aftermarket. Critical parts I don’t mess with aftermarket. My time is too important and I’m not trying to get stranded or do the job twice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the pressure line from pump to rack I replaced last year and it was a chore, to put it nicely.
Rockauto has some of those hoses in stock but not all of them, and the prices are similar to this honda site.
I found one of the part numbers on amazon and I already ordered it because they sold it directly and it was only $10.
I figure which there being different hoses from AWD to FWD I will save myself potential trouble and just go OEM on these.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I don’t waste my time with aftermarket parts that take hours of my time to put in and if they fail can destroy my whole car. Not worth the money saved. Power steering fluid on a timing belt wouldn’t be pretty.

I just replaced a standard motor products coil from amazon that lasted 5k miles with an oem one that had 200k miles on it, the old oem fixed the amazon coil misfire. The amazon coil had glowing reviews and wasted my $30. Look at the duralast tensioner guy trying to save a buck by going aftermarket. Critical parts I don’t mess with aftermarket. My time is too important and I’m not trying to get stranded or do the job twice.
OEM parts can be defective too. Like this CV axle with the boot installed wrong. OEM parts can make you do it twice too.

Reactions: undivide

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
forgot to update, I did end up ordering all the remaining PS hoses from Honda Parts Now and they arrived several months ago, project put on hold until after I complete the top end engine work (plugs, gaskets, seals, valve clearance adjustment, soda blasting, etc) :p
the hoses all arrived in great shape in their original honda bags, some made in different countries other than japan.
no need to replace the hard lines just yet they still in great shape. will need to figure out a good spot to securely mount the additional in-line filter to make it easy for a bi-annual replacement schedule.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
forgot to update, I did end up ordering all the remaining PS hoses from Honda Parts Now and they arrived several months ago, project put on hold until after I complete the top end engine work (plugs, gaskets, seals, valve clearance adjustment, soda blasting, etc) :p
the hoses all arrived in great shape in their original honda bags, some made in different countries other than japan.
no need to replace the hard lines just yet they still in great shape. will need to figure out a good spot to securely mount the additional in-line filter to make it easy for a bi-annual replacement schedule.
Umm, soda blasting?
Maybe I should look this up so I don't look dumb. 🤓

1 - 20 of 23 Posts