Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
@plplplpl ....seems you are right. Pilot manual states the first gen has front and rear tow hooks designed for recovery. View attachment 146006
Nice find. I really should
more.

Now to see if that shackle fits when it gets here. It's not like I'm planning to do some Aussie-level sprint 'n' yank, and in fact I'm planning not to ever use it at all, but you never know and it would be handy if it were all set up for an unexpected light recovery, even though I've never been in a situation yet, be it semi-wild offroading or deep snow, where I couldn't recover myself using only the Pilot's VTM-4 engaged and VSA disengaged.

One more thing, a little common sense goes a long way to avoid getting stuck in the first place.

Mild Mannered Off Roading for 2006 EX-L (Pics & Vids)

I have a rear hitch receiver, but I'm wondering where the rear tow hook is located for folks without a hitch receiver. I don't recall seeing one, but then I wasn't looking for one either.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Now to see if that shackle fits when it gets here. It's not like I'm planning to do some Aussie-level sprint 'n' yank, and in fact I'm planning not to ever use it at all, but you never know and it would be
I have a rear hitch receiver, but I'm wondering where the rear tow hook is located for folks without a hitch receiver. I don't recall seeing one, but then I wasn't looking for one either.
When a hitch receiver is installed the OEM rear tow hook has to come off as it uses the same three bolts on the driver side. The OEM tow hook is very strong but your hitch receiver will now be the recovery point. Get your CC ready to order one of these. One is heavy clunky and inexpensive while the other is light and spendy.
FBEBE969-7676-49FA-8A61-FAA2BF208A46.jpeg
D44606EC-ACA6-49A9-B22B-8C9F0EAAC314.jpeg

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #104

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Both are Aussie approved. Damsels in distress will be impressed with either one you whip out :p
Unless you plan on driving around with your shackle exposed, I'd go for a $20 one, and opt for a Honda hitch cover. Save your chins that way too.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
Unless you plan on driving around with your shackle exposed, I'd go for a $20 one, and opt for a Honda hitch cover. Save your chins that way too.
I guess Canada isn't like the U.S. There you must be able to go around with your shackle exposed. Here if you go around exposing you shackle they will put you in the clink. ;)

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Me, not so much. :(

View attachment 146017

I did find the same one on amazon.ca...

View attachment 146015

So what's the difference? The first one is US dollars and the second one is in Canadian dollars. The exchange rate is currently 1.2663. Bloomberg

Ironically, they they're both the same item that ships from the same Robbor Store.You can't make this stuff up. 🤪
Surely there is a Canadian business that can sell u one for less. I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I guess Canada isn't like the U.S. There you must be able to go around with your shackle exposed. Here if you go around exposing you shackle they will put you in the clink. ;)
But when it's cold...

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
@plplplpl ...just don’t be this guy. That would scare the damsels in distress away 😂 View attachment 146022
You realize of course , that is the universal symbol denoting a hen pecked husband. 😆

With every pair comes a complimentary DVD for the husband to watch, practice and sing....

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Surely there is a Canadian business that can sell u one for less. I'd keep looking.
Yeah, like Canadian Tire. And add 15% tax to that.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/champion-receiver-bracket-shackle-1400002p.html#srp

But here's a Canadian-friendly business that has one for less.

@plplplpl ...just don’t be this guy. That would scare the damsels in distress away 😂 View attachment 146022

These apparently get a glowing review. :D

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
If you want to make an impression, you could always go bigger. might loose a mile per gallon. If of course that it doesn't drag the pavement.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts

is that a confirmed recovery point or tie-down for shipping? The first gen has a rear solid metal bolt on that looks more substantial. View attachment 145971
Yeah, that same one you take OFF when you install a trailer hitch- rear.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
@plplplpl ....seems you are right. Pilot manual states the first gen has front and rear tow hooks designed for recovery. View attachment 146006
1st Gen, Front and Rear Tow Hooks? I ain't got no stink'n hooks!

I did have the tow loop thingy you have to remove on the REAR when you install a hitch.

On the front?

I looked at my Gen 1 last night.
NO bar/hook like this:

I DID find THIS though. A potential mounting hole in the frame on the Front, LEFT side only too!
This is on my 08 SE FWD

Now I'm thinking about putting a bigger shackle in here. Seems it's more made to be a tow/pull point?

Anyone else using this on their Gen 1?

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Not sure what that is, but it's got to be something: otherwise, it wouldn't be there.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Not sure what that is, but it's got to be something: otherwise, it wouldn't be there.
Unless the 08 is somehow different, you should have that also on the left side.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts