Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
If you are really concerned with getting stuck somewhere and need a recovery option and don't like the front receiver idea then you might want to take a look at something like this. Allows you to even the load on the vehicle components when trying to pull out a stuck vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts

I'm pretty sure I knew a Dominatrix that had one of those LOL

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
Okay for you Pilot owners, I now have a Passport so I can't look on the old Pilot, If you look under the front of the vehicle do you have a recovery point like this on the Passport?

Front Left

Compliments of Dude CS in the Passport Forum: Thread

Good reason to install the rear receiver, even if you never plan to tow.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Wait,, What?

This looks like an alloy fluid line to me? People use this as a tow hook point?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Okay for you Pilot owners, I now have a Passport so I can't look on the old Pilot, If you look under the front of the vehicle do you have a recovery point like this on the Passport?

View attachment 145963
Front Left
I got this style on my 2012 Crosstour and 2017 Pilot.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
No joy. I’m guessing it means it you loop it around something and hook both ends together since it’s about double the rating.
With a shackle or 2, you can hook on in a variety of ways. I'm rarely pulling any one out of the mud. My need is mostly towing a broke down vehicle. Not a lot of stress on the hitch or strap. I got chain if needed.

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The OP was asking about the Gen 3.
Actually, I was asking about 1st gen.

I was just reading this thread about the 3rd gen about no place good to hook up a towrope, and someone mentions there's a towing eye included in the 2nd gen, and that got me wondering about the 1st gen.

If you have to hook a towrope (not to tow but to get unstuck or help pull someone out), where do you hook it up to in front on a 1st gen?
When my brother saw my garage with pegboard covering all the walls full of hanging stuff, he said, "Jim, you're better stocked than most Home Depots." Shamefully true, lot's of stuff hanging in unopened original packaging. Sometimes I'll buy something but not use it right away, then forget where I put it, need it later, and then go buy it again which is easier than finding the one I know I have that I lost.
Been there, done that, got the garage storage to prove it. On the other hand, there's many a time when I need something, remember I got it eons ago, find it, and thank the forward-thinking me of the past.

View attachment 145964

I'm pretty sure I knew a Dominatrix that had one of those LOL
Pumpkin patch! Pumpkin patch!

I guess, still looks like a coolant/PS line to me LOL

And NO, No Way the Gen 1, or Gen 2 has that.
OK, Passport FTW. This time.

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
Actually, I was asking about 1st gen.

Been there, done that, got the garage storage to prove it. On the other hand, there's many a time when I need something, remember I got it eons ago, find it, and thank the forward-thinking me of the past.

Pumpkin patch! Pumpkin patch!

OK, Passport FTW. This time.
Sorry the lead in made think you were asking about 3rd gen. I got no clue on 1st gen. Never owned one. Didn’t the 1st gen come with a screw in recovert bolt?

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Didn’t the 1st gen come with a screw in recovert bolt?
That's what the 3rd genners were talking about, that the 2nd gen did come with a screw-in recovery bolt, but not the 3rd gen anymore. If the 1st gen had one it would be news to me.

On the other hand, that's getting me thinking. The single screw-in recovery screw screws into where? Not just the bumper, presumably. So into the 2nd gen's round support beam, or equivalent thereof? And if that's strong enough for the purpose, then shouldn't the jutting tab in the 1st gen be similarly adequate for light recovery? I can't imagine the1st and 2nd gen support beam structures are radically different.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yes, it happens, although not often enough! But the self-pat on the back does feel good. The worst storage polluters are the PVC fittings. They're so cheap, I always get more than I need to save a trip back to the store. But do I use the extra ones?. Well, what used to be one large plastic storage bin has grown to three. I think they multiply by themselves. I have to start storing the male and female fittings in separate boxes.

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
That's what the 3rd genners were talking about, that the 2nd gen did come with a screw-in recovery bolt, but not the 3rd gen anymore. If the 1st gen had one it would be news to me.

On the other hand, that's getting me thinking. The single screw-in recovery screw screws into where? Not just the bumper, presumably. So into the 2nd gen's round support beam, or equivalent thereof? And if that's strong enough for the purpose, then shouldn't the jutting tab in the 1st gen be similarly adequate for light recovery? I can't imagine the1st and 2nd gen support beam structures are radically different.

I don't remember my 2013 Pilot Touring having a screw in bolt, but then I never had occasion to have need of any kind of tow/recovery.

Just checked the manual and sure enough, there was a tow hook for the thing. The only thing I ever did was to lower the spare once every 6 months or so to make sure it worked and I never had to get into he emergency tools to do so. I knew where the emergency tool were but never had need of them so I never saw the thing.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

@plplplpl ....seems you are right. Pilot manual states the first gen has front and rear tow hooks designed for recovery.
6CE2FC52-B5B3-4FFE-879E-0BA0D39349DF.jpeg

81 - 100 of 138 Posts