Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was just reading this thread about the 3rd gen about no place good to hook up a towrope, and someone mentions there's a towing eye included in the 2nd gen, and that got me wondering about the 1st gen.

If you have to hook a towrope (not to tow but to get unstuck or help pull someone out), where do you hook it up to in front on a 1st gen?

I've got a tow hitch in back, so there's always that, but what about in front? I must admit I haven't ever needed that with the Pilot, so I haven't looked closely, but just in case someday I do, either to get pulled out facing forward, or to help someone, where do you hook up a towrope on the front?

Owner's Manual only says don't use the bumper, lol.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tie-down loop in the middle for me. It's a fine jack point, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it for light tow duty. No yanking out tree stumps with that one, though.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tie-down loop in the middle for me. It's a fine jack point, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it for light tow duty. No yanking out tree stumps with that one, though.
Oh good, interesting. It's -16 C out today so do you have a picture so I don't have to go out and look? I can't find one on the internet. :( I know, I know, they revoke Canadian passports for such wussiness.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts
Following!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Oh good, interesting. It's -16 C out today so do you have a picture so I don't have to go out and look? I can't find one on the internet. :( I know, I know, they revoke Canadian passports for such wussiness.
What? I just assumed all Canadians went ice fishing and had no problem with cold temps. These folks seem to enjoy the weather.
Man I hate to see you break tradition. :p

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I installed a front mounted hitch receiver. It was about $80. Its come in handy a few different ways.
When you get a chance post a link for the front hitch receiver and a few pics. Tough to imagine where that would bolt up since the front is crowded with subframe bolts, plastic shields and radiator support.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If you have to hook a towrope (not to tow but to get unstuck or help pull someone out), where do you hook it up to in front on a 1st gen?

I've got a tow hitch in back, so there's always that, but what about in front? I must admit I
Not my Pilot but the first gen has this welded loop on the front subframe but I don’t think it’s considered a recovery point.
FA85E601-D506-405D-B610-D31B6E5F3D61.jpeg

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
What? I just assumed all Canadians went ice fishing and had no problem with cold temps. These folks seem to enjoy the weather.
Man I hate to see you break tradition. :p
THAT, is an awesome video!!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Not my Pilot but the first gen has this welded loop on the front subframe but I don’t think it’s considered a recovery point. View attachment 145333
I don't think My 1st gen has this? Or my 2nd Gen? That looks aftermarket to me? As does that pan under the motor?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I don't think My 1st gen has this? Or my 2nd Gen? That looks aftermarket to me? As does that pan under the motor?
That Pilot owner used an F250 gas tank skid to make a skid plate for his Pilot. The welded loop on the subframe is his “recovery” point.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When I took out the PCV to change it, that little metal spacer fell down into the great abyss. It's non-magnetic so a magnet pickerupper won't help, so after wasting 10 minutes looking for it, I yanked the whole bottom vanity panel off and out it came along with a number of other lost items, tools, parts, and things I didn't even recognize. Under that vanity panel is hiding this hungmunga. Not aftermarket. This is a 2nd gen Pilot. I can see a lot of jobs that will be a lot easier without this panel in the way. Good time to add an external transmission filter. The lines are right there within easy reach.

The panel is huge, you uncover a lot of access by removing it. I'm not sure I'll ever put
it back.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
When I took out the PCV to change it, that little metal spacer fell down into the great abyss. It's non-magnetic so a magnet pickerupper won't help, so after wasting 10 minutes looking for it, I yanked the whole bottom vanity panel off and out it came along with a number of other lost items, tools, parts, and things I didn't even recognize. Under that vanity panel is hiding this hungmunga. Not aftermarket. This is a 2nd gen Pilot. I can see a lot of jobs that will be a lot easier without this panel in the way. Good time to add an external transmission filter. The lines are right there within easy reach.

The panel is huge, you uncover a lot of access by removing it. I'm not sure I'll ever put
it back.

View attachment 145337
Did you find thise needlw nose pliers in there I lost a while back? LOL

Thanks, good to know, I'll take a look under there soon, on both my Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
That Pilot owner used an F250 gas tank skid to make a skid plate for his Pilot. The welded loop on the subframe is his “recovery” point.
That's a metal shackle. I'm guessing the tab on the frame is OEM. Similar, usually smaller 1/4" bolt are used extensivly in sailing- they are stainless too.
You can get a metal one like that at about nay hardware store me thninks.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can hear some old man grunting sounds in that video, but they were still more restrained than mine when I took one for the team by kneeling and squatting to take these pictures on a -10 C icy, salty surface today.

There's a hole in that metal piece jutting down from the frame. Not sure if it's quite big enough to put a towrope hook in. Too cold to try. Maybe I'll ask those ice fishermen guys. Or someone in a warmer clime?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooh, then I want a shackle like that to hook up. My plastic beauty cover skid plates :D obstruct access to the tube. It'll be like giving my Pilot a nose ring like all the cool kids about to drop out have. :)

Dimensions? Links?

Warmly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Ooh, then I want a shackle like that to hook up. My plastic beauty cover skid plates :D obstruct access to the tube. It'll be like giving my Pilot a nose ring like all the cool kids about to drop out have. :)

Dimensions? Links?

Warmly appreciated. View attachment 145371
Here's one link.

I'm looking thru my old sailing tackle, and also checking my local ACE store!

Won't this mess with the front lower cowl when using a rope/ chain to pull it from there though?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts