Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go back to work after supper and on the way there, I decided to give my Pilot a wash at an automated brushless car wash I go to all the time. Once I got to the office, there was considerably more work than I had anticipated, so I actually ended up staying over there for the night. I was kind of concerned with the left over water from the car wash freezing (the temp lastnite was about -15C or about 5F) overnight in the parking lot, but I figured I'd be able to open the door, at least.

So, this morning, after I showed my boss what I had done to fix all the problems, he was satisfied and told me to go home for the day. So, I started my Pilot and I let it warm up for about a minute and put the car in reverse but the car wouldn't budge! Normally, the car moves slowly all by itself even if I don't give any gas when I put the car in drive or in reverse.

So, I gave it a little gas and the Pilot did start moving, but not before it made two loud "THUD!!" noise in the back. It scared the heck out of me. It sounded like it came from the brakes, but I'm not so sure. I figured some parts must've been frozen together overnite with all that water from the car wash and finally came apart after I gave it a little gas (the carwash has a spray coming straight out of the ground to wash the underside of the car as it enters).

The brakes seemed to working just fine after that though and there were no abnormal noises coming from the back since then. I never experienced anything like this the cars I've owned previously and even with my other car, the 99 Pontiac Transport, I've washed it during colder nights and had it parked overnite at work and never had something like this happen.

What do you guys suppose it could've been? I'm still thinking it was the brakes, but I never had the parking brakes engaged, so I don't see how the brake pads could've been frozen to the discs to the point that it'd prevent the car from moving before I gave it some gas.

My biggest fear is that there could've been some damage to the brake system or to whatever parts the noise came from. Should I mention this to my service advisor next time I take the car in for service or should I not wait until then and go in right away?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My guess

I would guess it is either some ice or rust on the (or a combination) on the disks.
If the car was that wet, you could get a nice layer of ice "gluing" the pad to the disc.
Or
you could have got some water into the parking drum (less likely in my opinion)

I would not worry about it either way, as long as the brakes and parking brake are working normally now.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
You lost me there.
:1zhelp:

·
Registered
920 Posts
N_Jay said:
You lost me there.
:1zhelp:
IOW, he ran over a fellow employee!!! Get it??? Boo ya!!!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
That would be a Thump, as he started to roll, not a Thud, then started to roll. :D

(as has been said before; "Don't ask me how I know!")

·
Registered
991 Posts
It looks to be just fronzen up, I would let your service Department know just to be safe..

rob

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tires frozen to the ground?

I have had tires freeze to the ground when I inadvertently parked in a wet area that then froze. It made a pretty loud thud when they finally broke loose. Glad I didn't pull them away from the rims.:14:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MG Pilot said:
IOW, he ran over a fellow employee!!! Get it??? Boo ya!!!!
LOL. There is one guy at work I'd like to run over whenever I see him in the parking lot. He came in late as usual as I was leaving for the day, so, too bad, wasn't him under my Pilot.

Ummmm.....was that like too much information? Did I just reveal the sinister and dark side of myself? Just to be clear, I never ran anybody over in my life.......on purpose. Just kidding!!! I should mention that the reason I was at the office all night in the first place was because of this individual. I think his days are numbered at the company.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
RipRocK said:

I think his days are numbered at the company.
Sure sounds like it... one way or the other...with the help from your fellow Piloteers here. Good one lamuncha! Crack me up! :19:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts