Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you hear like whistling sound (more like releasing from a tire type of sound)? Like a hissss?

I do....and I'm curious if anyone else does?

Thanks......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what I meant was - sounds like air being released from a tire or a balloon? I hear that whenever I press the brakes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
gap4jason said:
do you hear like whistling sound (more like releasing from a tire type of sound)? Like a hissss?

I do....and I'm curious if anyone else does?

Thanks......
Yeah, I hear it too. Sounds like a "shushing" sound to me. I think I noticed a prior post about this. People say it sounds hydraulic in nature if I remember correct, and that the sound goes away after using the breaks for a while? Is that right?

Also, my break pedal wiggles a little back and worth from left to right. I think there's also another post about that too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Soapplant....so there has been a posting about this? The question now is - to those who heard it when they first drove their Pilot, can you still hear it?

I've only had mine for 10 days, I noticed the hissing immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Started noticing it after the breakin period around 800...... I think it went away after 1,100 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
It's part of a new, high-tech brake quieting system. When you press the pedal, a highly advanced audio network anticipates when the brakes are about to squeak. The system then triggers the new "shush" pedal that tells the brakes to be quiet. (option not available in all 50 states).

Chris

Actually, it reminds me of my mothers Olds from 1988. The pedal made the exact same noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Yep, had this sound from the first moment.
Was told by the salesman that this is normal. Will
double check with a service manager tomorrow.

I've noticed another related thing today while sitting
at a rail road stop: the brake pedal normally feals just
right -- just enough feedback, just the right pressure
needed to stop etc. However, I noticed if I step on the
brakes, and then keep my foot on the pedal once stoped
(like on a traffic light), if there is even moderated pressure
applied to the pedal, it will "drift" down, i.e. will get to
a fully depressed state, as opposed to being half way
down when I first came to a stop. Not sure if this was clear
enought, but those who've noticed this should understand
what I am saying. Has anything noticed this though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Do ya'll have this?

When I'm braking at freeway speeds, after a few seconds, the brakes seem to grab harder all of a sudden. Almost like the truck is assisting, but it's NOT during panic breaking.

Weird


Dallas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
Dallas said:
Do ya'll have this?

When I'm braking at freeway speeds, after a few seconds, the brakes seem to grab harder all of a sudden. Almost like the truck is assisting, but it's NOT during panic breaking.

Weird


Dallas
That's our "wonderful" grade logic transmission downshifting. It is working as espected, but it's a bit odd feeling.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
All That Way

Shush and wiggle normal and subject of other threads. Had "grade logic" transmission in the CRV also. Got used to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
gap4jason said:
Thanks Soapplant....so there has been a posting about this? The question now is - to those who heard it when they first drove their Pilot, can you still hear it?

I've only had mine for 10 days, I noticed the hissing immediately.
Over 5K miles and I have heard the "ssshhhhh" noise from day one. According to a Honda Tech, this is normal and will always be there as will the thud coming from the gas sloshing in the gas tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Dallas said:
Do ya'll have this?

When I'm braking at freeway speeds, after a few seconds, the brakes seem to grab harder all of a sudden. Almost like the truck is assisting, but it's NOT during panic breaking.

Weird


Dallas
I have noticed this since day one also. I have not gotten used to it. My brakes seem overly touchy and will go from slightly braking to grabbing. I know others talk about the downshift, but I don't think this is what I am experiencing. I think my brakes just act a little funny. Tech couldn't reproduce it or didn't notice anything out of ordinary. Guess I will have to take them for a test spin to demonstrate the next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
kruzo said:
Yep, had this sound from the first moment.
Was told by the salesman that this is normal. Will
double check with a service manager tomorrow.

I've noticed another related thing today while sitting
at a rail road stop: the brake pedal normally feals just
right -- just enough feedback, just the right pressure
needed to stop etc. However, I noticed if I step on the
brakes, and then keep my foot on the pedal once stoped
(like on a traffic light), if there is even moderated pressure
applied to the pedal, it will "drift" down, i.e. will get to
a fully depressed state, as opposed to being half way
down when I first came to a stop. Not sure if this was clear
enought, but those who've noticed this should understand
what I am saying. Has anything noticed this though?
I know exactly what you are talking about and it is very wierd. Mine does this all the time at stop lights. All of a sudden the pedal will just start to move down when I don't feel as though I was adding any pressure what-so-ever. Seems dangerous to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I have a Lincoln Towncar...

that does the same thing. I'm not sure if this is it; but check the next time this happens and see if the Tachometer increased or decreased. On my Towncar this usually happens when the A/C compressor kicks on and off. I don't know exactly why; but the Tech said it has to do with an automatic idle setting run by the Transmission Control Module that speeds up the idle when the A/C compressor kicks in. I still don't understand why this affects the brake pedal unless it is just more or less assist being supplied to the brakes because of different idle speed. In any case EVERY time this occurs in my Towncar the A/C has just either kicked on or off. Who knows--just a thought.:8:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Brake goes down deeper when....

I bet the brakes problems you guys talking about has something to do with the A/C compressor.If i had the A/C on and at the stop lights while the car is stopped,turned the A/C off and as the compressor stops running,my brake pedal goes down deeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Re: Brake goes down deeper when....

I talked to my service manager about this.
Hiss is normal. Pedal going down is normal too.
He had some piece-wise explaination having
to do with the power booster. He did not know
the details, but promissed to ask his foreman
again (He has 4 Platinum Honda Mechanics in his
shop). I will press him for info today again
when I pick my truck after installing Fogs,
Backup Sensors and Wood Trim today!


baoloclamdong said:
I bet the brakes problems you guys talking about has something to do with the A/C compressor.If i had the A/C on and at the stop lights while the car is stopped,turned the A/C off and as the compressor stops running,my brake pedal goes down deeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I am probably repeating what has been said above, but I too, noticed the sound, brakes acting a different way, transmission, etc. What we are dealing with is high-tech brakes, transmission and a vehicle that is new in more ways than one. To borrow a phrase, this is not my dad's 1975 Buick Electra 225, which was not his dad's 1957 Buick. I (and all of us) will get used to this vehicle in time. Remember we only have 200-3000 miles on these vehicles, let them break in (no pun intended) this is a good vehicle and we will say so in 50000 miles and 100000 miles I am sure of that. This is one of the best cars I have owned and I have owned Corvettes, BMW's, Buicks, Toyota's, etc.......thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
from past experience... brakes slowly moving down means there is a leak somewhere. From past experience it is not normal, i dont see how this is normal in the Pilot. In myother car this was because of a bad mast er brake cylinder. my Pilolt doesn't do that, but it does have the swishing sound when stopping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Best Breaks

The Pilot has the best brake feel ever. As I am rolling to a stop, it is smooth, no pulsing, like I have become used to in all American cars.
(This is so ironic, because I usually like something pulsating!)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top