Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EXL Navi.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen a couple months ago some members in the USA talking about already installed the 2021 map. Does anyone know if the Canadian release would have happened at the same time? As it's North America.
My 2018 Pilot keeps letting me know there's a new map. When I go to Garmin Express all it says is the software is up to date, version 2.02. And never tells me theres a new map yet. I updated Garmin Express and tried again. Same thing. It does work, it tells me theres new maps for my old portable Garmins. I even installed Garmin Express on another laptop, and also the same thing.

I had successfully updated to 2019 and then to 2020 last year. I know how it works. I am being impatient!

We had speed limits raised on a few random highways round here a few years ago, then lowered back down a couple years ago. The latest 2020 map still had the wrong raised speeds on it. I want the new 2021 map to see if they are correct yet.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
I thought it was the same as Garmin has only North America maps not just Canada. Don't count on the 2021.1 revision being totally correct either.
I am still running the 2020.1 so I guess I should update too.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
It appears that the update is already there unless Canada moved to South America. 😁

·
Registered
516 Posts
For the last couple years Garmin usually releases the updates in Nov. So anytime soon.

Reactions: Nilst

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you have 2017 or newer Pilot you should be able to have 2021 map update. My 2016 was unable to update when I tried back in September, because five years is up I guess.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
In the meanwhile you can use this, if among other things you don't mind the mental image of Canada falling apart and the US as its tuque. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have 2017 or newer Pilot you should be able to have 2021 map update. My 2016 was unable to update when I tried back in September, because five years is up I guess.
I took delivery of my 2016 Pilot on October 14, 2015. When I tried getting the 2021 map update in September it didn't allow me so I called Garmin Support on September 24th to document the problem. When I called them again September 29th, I was advised that they are aware of the issue and are discussing with Honda Canada on how to get updates to customers like myself - I was told this might take a few weeks. I will continue to follow up until I receive this map update.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thank you for this. I do hope I can have this update. But then again mine was over five years old in September 2020, and don’t know if Garmin will allow that.
So I had the same message a few days ago along with AWD system failure! I was like what the hell! The same day I was sitting waiting for my grocery’s right be brought out. Tried to restart the car and battery was dead! I was like omg! Covid! Dead battery! Emission system and AWD message in the same day. Replaced battery and NO more messages! So check your battery out.
Gotta love a tranny without a dipstick. After going through the awfully convoluted tranny fluid drain and fill procedure on my Tacoma, I am glad my wife’s Pilot has a tranny fluid dipstick. It’s almost like they want us to have to take it into the dealership for what should be a simple process.
Yesterday I uploaded everting into the head unit with no issues. Map version is 2020 though so believe there will be no 2021 for 2016 model year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took delivery of my 2016 Pilot on October 14, 2015. When I tried getting the 2021 map update in September it didn't allow me so I called Garmin Support on September 24th to document the problem. When I called them again September 29th, I was advised that they are aware of the issue and are discussing with Honda Canada on how to get updates to customers like myself - I was told this might take a few weeks. I will continue to follow up until I receive this map update.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Oops, was quoting pmhonda only. Didn’t mean to quote all four.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EXL Navi.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, mine is 2018, I am patiently waiting at this time for a 2021 map release.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Just called Garmin yesterday and was told 2021 map not released yet, and there was no set time frame for new map release. I told him that my map was 2020.0 and he said that was the latest. Also he said 2016 Pilot should receive 2021 map update free of charge. Not sure if he was correct. Hope he was right.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
Just called Garmin yesterday and was told 2021 map not released yet, and there was no set time frame for new map release. I told him that my map was 2020.0 and he said that was the latest. Also he said 2016 Pilot should receive 2021 map update free of charge. Not sure if he was correct. Hope he was right.
If you look at my previous post you will see that the latest map out is Ver: 2021:10. Me thinks the Garmin guy you talked to doesn't workt on the Garmin/Honda team.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I believe you are right. I mentioned this (someone posted online already had 2021 map) on the phone call but the Garmin guy still insisted my map was up to date. I remember I chose the Vehicle (such as BMW or Honda) option on my call, may be he was drunk or something, weird. Will try the update from ground up again and see.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your comparing apples and oranges. Current map versions depends on the head unit hardware version. 2016-2018 Pilot's current maps are v2020.0. The 2019-2021 use hardware that receives over the air updates and have maps version of v2021:10. Map updates for the 2016-2018 usually show up in November.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
This makes sense. You know this more than the Garmin support guy. I still would like to know when the five years of free update ends though, the Garmin guy suggested I should have 2021 map and that’s what I try to find out.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EXL Navi.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honda7, I read the 5 years of free map update timer starts after 320Kms on the new Pilot.
“The timing starts once the vehicle receives satellite signal and exceeds 320 kms on the odometer.”

·
Registered
51 Posts
I persisted with a couple of phone conversations with Garmin support and an email to them. Today, I was able to download the 2021 map update and then install it on my 2016 Pilot (delivery taken on October 14, 2015). I am happy to have the update , but not pleased that it took so much effort.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
I persisted with a couple of phone conversations with Garmin support and an email to them. Today, I was able to download the 2021 map update and then install it on my 2016 Pilot (delivery taken on October 14, 2015). I am happy to have the update , but not pleased that it took so much effort.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Downloaded the 2021 map update on the USB Drive last night. As always it took about 2 hrs to download after updating Garmin Express to the latest version. Will be installing to the car later today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts