Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I told someone who asked....

We love the Honda name and therfor, were loyal to the Honda brand. When the Pilot was released it immediatly became consumer reports best buy, as well as many other automobile critics. We bought the Pilot based on that and paid close to the sticker price of 30,000. Its now 7 month old and still is very strong with 240 hp, all time AWD-actually drives in front wheel drive until it detects slipping. It also is very roomy and therfor, a great vehicle for traveling and growing families.
Currently, it offers the best MPG at 19city and 23 highway. It takes regular fuel so you save a little bit more at the pump. The model year we have 2003, offers no frills on the EX model we have. just leather and cd stereo
Now to the important stuff....are we happy with the vehicle?...NO!
It is poorly made with ample plastic and poor design. We have a great deal, and I Mean great deal of Wind/Road noise at 55mph, the seats are not comfortable for any lenght of time, the gear shift is antiquated, they say it is an 8 passenger vehicle...its really 5 adults and 3 kids...etc,etc,etc
I advise you to check out the website (www.honda-pilot.org) and review the complaint page and forum page. as this is written by Pilot owners...
If you're still not convinced and want this suv, then wait until 2004, they should have had some time to fix some of the major problems, they anticipated selling 80,000 units the first year and have fallen way short of this goal.
My opinion...buy the Toyota Highlander, a little smaller but is very popular and reliable, it offers as many frills as you want and has been around for a few more years, I wish we would have purchased this instead.
We plan on keeping the vehicle for another year or so and getting rid of it and getting the Toyota Sienna, Honda has lost us as loyalist and many others as well.
Good luck
----- Original Message

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
nopilot4me said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

If you're still not convinced and want this suv, then wait until 2004, they should have had some time to fix some of the major problems, they anticipated selling 80,000 units the first year and have fallen way short of this goal.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Where did you come up with the "fallen way short of this goal" conclusion? The latest VIN on the VIN Table shows 91758 with a build date of 04/03 (by member dough as of 05/25/03). It looks like Honda met their goal, and then some...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
nopilot4me said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

I advise you to check out the website (www.honda-pilot.org) and review the complaint page and forum page. as this is written by Pilot owners...

[ S N I P P E D ]

I dunno, my impression is that you will find just as many owners, if not more, who have sung high praises about their Pilot. Does the Highlander have a board? (I don't know and I'm too lazy to search for it (or maybe I just don't give a hoot)) If there is a Highlander board, I'm willing to bet my Pilot that there will be complaints by owners about that SUV, too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe miscalculated...

I might be wrong with the calculation, its nice to know that people still want this, so when I go to unload it I wont be a complete loss.

"come on folks keep buying it" and "have I got a deal for YOU" and "it was only driven to church on Sundays" and "sure it has a lot of miles, but their highways Miles" any takers?:2:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. As a former Highlander owner myself, be sure and report back when you discover that the road noise in it is worse and the factory JBL in the Limited sucks compared to the factory audio in the Pilot. The Pilot is a much sportier drive, and much faster accelerating; the Highlander's like a slug once you've driven a Pilot.

Otherwise, you're just trading one set of likes, dislikes, and minor annoyances for another, because both are great vehicles, and both companies stand behind there product, for the most part.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting

Are you sure you bought a Pilot?

I don't get wind noise at 70mph, it's hard to imagine enough at 55 to make someone get rid of one. As for the seating, I've found them great for long trips. The back seats are cramped, but in a pinch, they're nice to have, even for adults.

I do agree with most of the other data (most available in sales brochures)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Interesting

terrier said:
Are you sure you bought a Pilot?

I don't get wind noise at 70mph, it's hard to imagine enough at 55 to make someone get rid of one. As for the seating, I've found them great for long trips. The back seats are cramped, but in a pinch, they're nice to have, even for adults.

I do agree with most of the other data (most available in sales brochures)
I totally agre...I have no problems with my pilot ...and which car does'nt have minor problmes....even honda says teh 3rd seat is for kids.....:2:

bottom line I love the pilot and if I was again going to spend < $ 35K I would buy the pilot...

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
To each his own (or her own)

Different strokes and all that stuff.....

I went from a '99 Park Avenue to my Pilot and find that the overall comfort is really not all that bad - when you consider one is a semi-luxury car and the other is a semi-SUV. The wife, step-son and I recently took a 3200 mile trip to SC and back and never did we feel "uncomfortable" with the seats, wind noise (what wind noise?) or any other quirk of the Pilot.

We have had 8 people in our Pilot - and it was cramped. Good only for short trips. We knew this going in (as does about anyone else that has bought a Pilot). Why complain about it now????

YMMV

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) I sat at the 3rd row seat and felt like I was sitting in a civic's back seat which I also have and it was okay, then again I am not 6 or seven footer. It is a midsize SUV and the 3rd seat was a plus thats is why I bought it in the first place. Sure there are other SUVs around but for the price and the reliability it has to offer, the pilot is it. It doesnt drive like a LX470 which my relatives own but for the money I still have change to buy my other car, the Evo8:D

·
Registered
964 Posts
nopilot4me said:
This is what I told someone who asked....
- snip -
It is poorly made with ample plastic and poor design. We have a great deal, and I Mean great deal of Wind/Road noise at 55mph, the seats are not comfortable for any lenght of time, the gear shift is antiquated,
- snip -
----- Original Message
This is a joke, right? I can't believe that a Pilot owner honestly posted this. I've owned my Pilot for about a month and a half and I still love it. Sure, there are some things that bug me a little, but every car I've owned has some little things that bug me. The little things in the Pilot are MINOR things, a scrunch here, a rattle there. Nothing that would make me want to sell it. No way! Maybe there is a great deal of wind noise at 55 MPH with the windows down. Seats uncomfortable? I don't think so, Tim. While I've never spent more than a few minutes in the back seats, I've never heard a complaint from my passengers back there. The front seats are very comfortable for me. I can't wait to drive cross country next year in my Pilot. I can't imagine a more comfortable travel environment for my family and I.

nopilot4me, when you're ready to sell "your Pilot", please give me a call. I would love to find a used one so I can drive it every day, my wife got our current one.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
nopilot4me said:

What major problems? Sure, there are things I'm unhappy about; some I knew of before I bought, some I noticed since, but I know of no major problems that make me regret the purchase. Sorry to hear that you don't feel the same way. Regretting a major purchase is no fun.

The production run for the 2003 model year has at least exceeded 90,000 vehicles, according to the VIN numbers posted on this site.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921

·
Registered
991 Posts
There are Always minor issues with first year vehicles, but I don't think at all that the Pilot was a mistake. I tried out the Highlander and it was great! But for the room the Pilot beats the Highlander in a heartbeat.

Talking about the cheaper plastic interior I tend to agree with you, but most cars today are like this.

I drove my Pilot for about 2 hours and the seats seemed good! The only uncomfortable seat was second row middle seat where the back is very hard due to the drop down storage bin.

I made a mistake once and bought a GMC product. If you want real problems with shakes, rattles, and feel like spending lots of money on repairs get one, you will soon see that the Honda Pilot was the real winner..

Hope you like your Pilot in time..

·
Registered
145 Posts
We were originally going to buy a Highlander, and when we saw (and rode) the Pilot, there was no going back. Every car has its quirks, but I think that the lack of any major problems for the vast majority of people is quite amazing for a first generation car. And remember, Honda has a lot of experience with the guts of this vehicle: MDX, Odyssey, etc.

Of course, I wonder about someone who joins a forum using the name "nopilotforme." Think there is an agenda? And you might want to take a look at his profile.

--Bret

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It must be nice accepting mediocracy in life. This is a luxury I don't have and certainly hope never to achieve.
Just because I don't agree with everyone doesn't make me wrong.
The Pilot has (as mentioned) some nice features incl. the engine 240hp, the transmission, the suspension and the AWD system, all by the way based on the Acura and existing Odessy. Its the remaining parts I have a problems with as the body and plastic structures are sub--standard and ill designed. I should have paid more attention during the test drive and noticed

-the poor seat design with unusable head rest
-the lack of attention to detail and abundant use of plastic
-the poor molding and ill aligned trim
-the 2nd rate stereo, grand cherokee is much better
-the awkward gear shift that should have died in the 70's
-the lack of continous AC outlets to charge stuff when engine is off
-the bland styling
-the excessive, YES EXCESSIVE wind/road noise at 55 mph
-the lack of auto locks once driving over 7mph, even ford taurus
has this feature
-the lack of vehicle upgrades, Ie. auto dim mirrors, heat package,
roof, tires etc...
-instrument panel basics without computer
-and what about that trip gauge, to switch it you can't see it due
to your hand is in the way.
-List goes on folks...

Enjoy this car, as I'm sure it demonstrates that we have come to accept this level of quality as the norm.
I would gladly dump this vehicle in second if I wasn't going to get hammered during the deal. As for all of you 2003 model owners might I suggest taking your responses and printing them and put them right next to your bed so on those sleepless nites you can turn towards for a some comfort. As for me, the facts are facts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personal Preference

You really do have it bad. Better luck next time.

I honestly do have a different vehicle than you do, fortunately.

I love my Grand Cherokee but frankly think that it had a much more "plastic" feel than the Pilot. (For whatever reason, that feeling went away after a few months.) I'm hanging on to it.

I loved our Volvo AWD that we payed $10K more for 5 years ago. It was solid and luxurious, my wife's car BTW.

The Pilot, IMHO, has all the bell and whistles I need, the quality and workmanship I wanted (I still can't figure who built your Pilot), and a great price. Sure I really wanted heated mirrors and seats, a factory sun roof, NAV and RES, and 60mpg fuel economy, but I'm still happy with the purchase. (I almost thank Honda for limiting me on some of these options. It almost makes me feel frugal. Nah! I still want the heated seats and mirrors!)

nopilot4me, good luck with the next purchase. Take your time, and try some of the higher end vehicles.

Now, about "accepting mediocracy", it isn't about mediocracy. It's about understanding what you want and need. You need to understand :
1. your requirements in the vehicle (differentiate wants and needs too);
2. what resources you can allocate to meet those requirements;

Then, go out and find a vehicle that satisfies most of 1 and all of 2 (unless you like to go into debt)

It's work, but worth it.

Try it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
nopilot4me said:
...Just because I don't agree with everyone doesn't make me wrong...
True and vice-versa.

Does the Highlander even have a third row to compare to the Pilot...what about a trip computer and the programmable options you want?

By the way, from your "wish list" it sounds like you've had or want a Jeep Grand Cherokee SE or Ltd. It has all the features you're wishing for, except it still has some plastic trim on the interior, sorry.

nopilot4me said:
...I should have paid more attention during the test drive...
Too true. Don't let it happen again, okay?

·
Registered
461 Posts
nopilotforme: Why not sell the car. Most dealers are selling for MSRP, so if you sell at a reasonable price, I'd think you'd sell it for your asking price very quickly. Take the money and run to the Toyota dealer and buy a Highlander. You won't get new MSRP....but you have driven it a year. As there are next to no used Pilots available, I think you'd get pretty darn near an extrodinary price for the Pilot. Go buy something you'd be happy with. But, you might want to take it to a dealer for service first. They will replace the plastic trim that knicked near the seat belt one time....might be a good time to do that. They have fixed the wind noise on other people's cars, and I'm sure they can fix yours too. I can't remember what the other issues were, but take it back for service until they fix all the problems under warranty. Then sell the next to new Pilot to some thrilled family. You'd be happy with a Highlander, and you'd make someone else happy by finding a slightly used Pilot for sale.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:rolleyes: sell it! sell it! there are a lot of pilot orphans who wants to buy a slightly used one! then grab the first highlander you see, better yet check out the JGC, explorer and if you really want the frills, the navigator is it. drove my relative's LX470 it was really awesome, the wood looked so real I'm worried that termites might eat it in a years time.:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
nopilot4me said:
It is poorly made with ample plastic and poor design. We have a great deal, and I Mean great deal of Wind/Road noise at 55mph, the seats are not comfortable for any lenght of time, the gear shift is antiquated, they say it is an 8 passenger vehicle...its really 5 adults and 3 kids...etc,etc,etc
If you're still not convinced and want this suv, then wait until 2004, they should have had some time to fix some of the major problems, they anticipated selling 80,000 units the first year and have fallen way short of this goal.----- Original Message
Yes, even Hondas have their problems.....but it is true that some things about the Pilot can be fixed.
  • The plastic is VERY easy to scratch and fade...where I rest my arm and leg on the door is already starting to fade and become dis-colored!
  • Yes, wind noise, as well as road noise, at times can be intrusive.
  • The seats are OK, but the overall driving position can be improved with a telescopic wheel for long range driving comfort.
  • The gear shift can be DANGEROUS at times for tall drivers! I have hit the gear shift with my knee countless times when it is in the 'drive' position....it's only a matter of time until I hit it and throw the lever into PARK! :mad:
  • The whole chassis creaks when going slowly over any kind of uneven terrain...like when I back out of my yard, there is a small hill I have to go over and I can hear the inside plastic scrunching and stretching as the chassis flexes over the hill.
  • Yes I plan on trading mine in for an '04 or '05, whenever they come out with a sunroof option!

True, some of this shouldn't be happening on a $30K vehicle, but keep in mind it is in its first year production. Just be glad you didn't get a Ford or GM SUV. :rolleyes:

For all of the Pilot's weaknesses, though, I really don't know what SUV I would trade it in for if I had the chance. Honda has me between a rock and a hard place. :p

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
132 Posts
nopilot4me said:
It must be nice accepting mediocracy in life. This is a luxury I don't have and certainly hope never to achieve.
Just because I don't agree with everyone doesn't make me wrong.
The Pilot has (as mentioned) some nice features incl. the engine 240hp, the transmission, the suspension and the AWD system, all by the way based on the Acura and existing Odessy. Its the remaining parts I have a problems with as the body and plastic structures are sub--standard and ill designed. I should have paid more attention during the test drive and noticed

-the poor seat design with unusable head rest
-the lack of attention to detail and abundant use of plastic
-the poor molding and ill aligned trim
-the 2nd rate stereo, grand cherokee is much better
-the awkward gear shift that should have died in the 70's
-the lack of continous AC outlets to charge stuff when engine is off
-the bland styling
-the excessive, YES EXCESSIVE wind/road noise at 55 mph
-the lack of auto locks once driving over 7mph, even ford taurus
has this feature
-the lack of vehicle upgrades, Ie. auto dim mirrors, heat package,
roof, tires etc...
-instrument panel basics without computer
-and what about that trip gauge, to switch it you can't see it due
to your hand is in the way.
-List goes on folks...

Enjoy this car, as I'm sure it demonstrates that we have come to accept this level of quality as the norm.
I would gladly dump this vehicle in second if I wasn't going to get hammered during the deal. As for all of you 2003 model owners might I suggest taking your responses and printing them and put them right next to your bed so on those sleepless nites you can turn towards for a some comfort. As for me, the facts are facts.
I cannot believe you didn't noticed the obvious things like shift gear & styling etc. when you purchased the Pilot.

I've traded down from a 2000 Mecedes ML320 but still like my Pilot for what it is designed for .... family use.

For just $32K, it is a good vehicle.

I will recommend you to buy a Land Rover for your next vehicle.
It is a lot better than the Pilot but I bet you will complain abput something else.

Tat

1 - 20 of 44 Posts