Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take strike a deal on a new 2003 Pilot currently on the dealer's lot and I need some advise regarding the dealer installed options. I have a lengthy list of required options including the towing package, back up sensors, fog lights and CD changer to name a few and I was wondering if all my options should be installed before I take delivery on the vehicle? Or is it customary to take delivery, have the dealer order the accessories and then have the options installed when the parts arrive at the dealership. My preference is to wait while I still have some leverage and take delivery after having all the options installed just in case there any problems . What did you do and how did it work out?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Unless a dealer's already installed those options on one on the lot, my guess is that they'd want you to buy the vehicle first, do what most dealers call a "Due in Deal," and schedule a visit to take the vehicle back in to install the options.

From a dealer's perspective, why put the options that you want on a vehicle you've not actually purchased, on the chance that your loan doesn't get approved, you back out, etc. Then they're stuck with a vehicle they've put extra money in. (I know, I know, it's a Pilot, so they'll make a fair profit, regardless.)

·
Registered
620 Posts
dukeofjuke said:
I'm about to take strike a deal on a new 2003 Pilot currently on the dealer's lot and I need some advise regarding the dealer installed options. I have a lengthy list of required options including the towing package, back up sensors, fog lights and CD changer to name a few and I was wondering if all my options should be installed before I take delivery on the vehicle? Or is it customary to take delivery, have the dealer order the accessories and then have the options installed when the parts arrive at the dealership. My preference is to wait while I still have some leverage and take delivery after having all the options installed just in case there any problems . What did you do and how did it work out?
I struck a deal on the vehicle before the options were added. I don't think the dealer will add the exact options you want before a deal is struck because if the deal falls through they'll have an option loaded car to try and unload. A good tip is to know how much you can get the options for online. When the dealer trys to rake you on price of the options, you can come back with more reasonable numbers... Generally, you can get the options for Internet price and labor cost to install them.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you look at my profile, you can see I have a lot of OEM accessories. When I started emailing all the dealerships in the area, I asked for a quote to include all the accessories. With the huge markups, every dealership varied in price, yet they all claimed I was getting the very best price. So, I started negotiating price on accessories using on-line pricing from various websites selling OEM accessories. The dealers hated me bacause now I knew how much they were charging for installation.

Anyway, I ended up getting very few accessories with the Pilot. All the dealerships wanted too much for the dealer installed accessories. So, I went on-line and purchased all the OEM accessories and installed it myself. I estimated that I saved $2000.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Like everyone says, do your homework on researching prices. I paid entirely too much for my running boards.

Consider this (which has been mentioned before by other members):
If you have accessories purchased/installed with the deal (listed on your new car paperwork), they will be covered by the factory warranty of the car (3 yrs/36k mi). If you purchase/install accessories at a later date (i.e. not with the deal), even at the dealer you bought the car from, the warranty is "only" (1yr/12k mi).

At least, that's what my dealer told me...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
dukeofjuke said:
...My preference is to wait while I still have some leverage and take delivery after having all the options installed just in case there any problems . What did you do and how did it work out?
I had the auto-dim mirror installed before delivery, but I added it after the the purchase price was agreed on. You might be able to bargain the purchase price or the price of the accessories if you are negotiating them together, but you will be financing the price of the accessories if you role them into the purchase price. It all depends on how you want to spend your money and how much bargaining you want to do.

I wouldn't worry about problems with the Dealer added accessories. They are warrantied and will be repaired the same as the standard equipment. (I know all Honda accessories carry a one year warranty, but I thinkDealer added options put on before delivery have a three year warranty - someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Re: When Are The Dealer Options Installed?

tim.s said:
(I know all Honda accessories carry a one year warranty, but I thinkDealer added options put on before delivery have a three year warranty - someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
Nope. You are correct. I would make sure, however, that the dealer installed options are listed on the car invoice. That way there will be no finger pointing in the 35th month should your cargo cover fall apart.

--Bret

·
Registered
263 Posts
Honda accessories not installed by a dealer are warranted for 12mo/12000mi. Honda accessories installed by a dealer are warranted for the longer of 12mo/12000mi OR the remaining term of the new car warranty.

Therefore, if Honda accessories are installed by the dealer at time of purchase, you get a warranty that is the same as the car. However, you can buy those same accessories at a discount via the internet and have them installed by the dealer a month later, and you still get a 35mo warranty and you save money.

If you do the "Due in deal" option, go ahead and sign the contract but decline to take delivery until the accessories are installed. This gives the dealer extra incentive to do the install both quickly AND correctly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi hop23. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "due in deal". Also, I got the impression from the other posts to my question that the dealer won't order and install any options until the contract is signed and the dealer has a cashiers check for the entire purchase price of the vehicle. I agree with the other Pilot owners that it is not in the dealer's best interests order and install a shopping list of options on a vehicle if there is even the remotest possibility that the deal could fall through. Therefore, the dealer should expect to be paid in full before he spends the time and material to equip a vehicle for a buyer. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
263 Posts
jay mentioned the "Due in deal" in the first reply above. I was referring to that practice, where the sales price includes the price of the accessories to be installed by the dealer. Then, when you close the deal, the dealer gives you paperwork indicating that they now owe you these accessories and their installation. Normally, you're supposed to go to the service department and arrange to bring the car back for these items. However, once you drive the car off the lot, or put your own tags on the car, you have taken delivery of the vehicle and it's really yours. If you decline to take delivery until the accessories are installed, then you have recourse in the event they damage the car in the process. In my case, I withheld the check until they finished the install. They didn't like it, but they did it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts