Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheels & Tires

Thought I would attempt to compile a one-stop shopping gallery of aftermarket Pilot wheels & tires that owners have installed...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First up, we have an EX Sage Brush on 18" Kaizer Circus matched with 255/55/18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero rubber set. Maintained OEM wheel diameter for proper wheel well fitment. Straggler decided to go for 18s for a smoother/softer ride and extra rubber for offroad flexibility...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
kemosabe said:
First up, we have an EX Sage Brush on 18" Kaizer Circus matched with 255/55/18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero rubber set. Maintained OEM wheel diameter for proper wheel well fitment. Owner decided to go for 18s for a smoother/softer ride and extra rubber for offroad flexibility...
I'm confused with 18" wheels and 18" tires, how is this the OEM wheel diameter? Shouldn't that be 16"? Be gentle, I don't know nothin' about birthin' no wheel-tire modifications.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
robrecht said:

I'm confused with 18" wheels and 18" tires, how is this the OEM wheel diameter? Shouldn't that be 16"? Be gentle, I don't know nothin' about birthin' no wheel-tire modifications.
18 inchers (or some other combo) is what is installed as aftermarket. 16 inchers are OEM.

You're not confused!!!!

:)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I gotta include Litespeeds who just picked up a relatively inexpensive set of 18x7.5" wheels with an offset of +42 with Kumho Ecsta STX tires in the size 255/55/18. This setup fills out the wheel wells perfectly without sticking out.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
borg installed 235/65/17 Michellin CT's & 17x7 Formula Racing Design FRD30 wheels -- so far so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
johndrak had these 20 chromes installed with Toyo 255/45/20 proxes tires. Best looking Pilot in California.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
galil308 added these ICW Racing 077M wheels which are load rated at 1900 lbs. and stayed with 16x7 rim size 42mm+ offset and reused original Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 UTOG 300BB 235/70-16 tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
robrecht said:

I think what's meant is that while the wheel, itself, is a larger diameter, the tire is lower profile such that the outside diameter of the 18" tire (inside diameter) is nearly identical to the outside diameter of the OEM tire (235x70x16).

Here's the calculations:

OEM 235 x 70 x 16 = 28.95 cm tire outside diameter
aftermarket 255 x 55 x 18 = 29.04 cm tire outside diameter.

The tire sidewall height = treadwidth (235) times profile (70) divided by 100

Tire outside diameter = 2 times sidewall height times wheel diameter (converted to cm with 1" = 25.4 cm)

As you can see the outside tire diameters are virtually identical

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BradWhitePilot put on 17" x 7.5" Moda R6 with 255/60-17 Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. Huge difference in handling! With stock tires, cornering felt as if tire was tucking under--now, it handles great.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
sfhondapilot said:

I think what's meant is that while the wheel, itself, is a larger diameter, the tire is lower profile such that the outside diameter of the 18" tire (inside diameter) is nearly identical to the outside diameter of the OEM tire (235x70x16).
Thanks! Haven't mastered the calculations yet but got the concept. You can learn so much here.

1 - 20 of 610 Posts