Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2012 Pilot, love it by the way and my wife had a CRV until a deer jumped in front of her and totaled it. We have both had a problem with dirt, snow and ice buildup on the inside of the wheels. This causes the tires to be out of balance which in turn causes bad vibrations at highway speeds. I have thought about replacing the wheels and was wondering if anyone has had the same issues. I would love to know how others have solved this problem.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I can't say I've heard of this as a common occurrence. In snowy areas I've seen this on all of the forums I've been on during snow storms.

What trim do you have?

I've seen (years ago) these disks that go on behind the wheels and kind of block the barrel and disk from view, they could help dirt from getting in but I've never seen them used.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
For purely cosmetic reasons, I scrubbed the barrels and use a good paint sealant on them. I started using Rejex but lately have been using the same Meguiars sealant that I use on the paint. Regardless, keeping the barrels clean and relatively free of dirt means the sealant stays slippery and ice doesn't build up in there. It slides out The wheel barrels get cleaned (pressure washed) each time the car is cleaned, while the sealant renewed a few times a year. So far so good.

A previous ride, 1980's Saab 900 Turbo, came with some interesting mudflaps. Just aft of the front wheel wells, but on the inside portion, a 3" or so mudflap sticks down to cut down on slush and road junk sprayed up towards the rear wheels. Then in front of the rear wheels and towards the inside curve in the wheel well, another mudflap kept the crud from splashing into the wheel and rear brakes. Saab shared an interesting book with the car when new that detailed a slew of interesting features on the car, including the odd mud flaps. Have to say that they really did work at keeping the brakes and rear wheels clean of sprayed-on ices and crud from winter roads. I haven't had enough of an issue with the Pilot to make adding similar pieces more than a casual thought. If I had a vibration problem from accumulating snow crud and ice, I'd be all over it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for replying to my post. I am going to try the sealant on the inside of the spokes. The tire shop that balanced the tires on my Pilot recommended something like that. I’ll let everyone know how it works for me. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts