Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I recently replaced my entire control arm assembly(compliance bushing, arm, and ball joint). I had prior to replacing the arm a slight knocking sound when traveling over small bumps. The control arms were in need of replacement due to disintegrating bushings. I had hoped that the new arms would clear up the noise, but they did not. I have also replaced the end links. The new end links corrected some of the knocking sounds but one still remains, a slight muffled knock/rattle over bumps. I now also have a vibration in my steering wheel when traveling over 60 MPH.
I am hoping that someone could shed some light on this.
Do I need an alignment or wheels re-balanced after the control arm replacement?
What else could be causing the knock sounds in the front end?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Check your sway bar bushings. They are often overlooked and if worn, will let the sway bar move and clunk. Had that issue on my 11 EXL. Started with struts, end links and then the sway bar bushings. I did not notice the sway bar bushings until all the other stuff was replaced. There were enough issues and noise between the struts and end links that I totally missed the bushings.

The other thing you may want to check is the strut bearing cap. These are know to fail and will produce a knock / clunk as the struts are loaded/unloaded. Depending on the miles on your Pilot, it may be better to just replace the strut assemblies vs disassembling to replace the bearing caps.

Out of the two I've mentioned, the sway bar bushings are the cheapest and easiest to do. Strut assemblies in the Pilot will take you around 45-1hr per side. If you just replace the caps, add another hour per side to compress springs, disassemble, replace, reassemble.....

For the LCA, when mine were replaced, the dealer did verify the alignment. Really any time you are in mucking around with the geometry of the vehicle, it is always good to get an alignment to verify nothing has changed. NTB by me used to offer a lifetime alignment for 400.00. I got it on my 08 CRV and 11 Pilot. They go in for a check at least 2x a year for an alignment check and balance check and after I've done any repairs / replacements such as struts, end links, ball joints, bushings. Keeps the vehicles tracking true and tires wearing evenly. I think the guys at NTB hate to see me come in. It was a great deal and I'm bummed they no longer offer it.

As for the vibration over 60, you can try rotating the fronts to the rear and see if it goes away, or go in and have the tires high speed balanced to see if that resolves the issue. Verify that all hardware is torqued to the proper setting on your repairs, but at this point, I think you may be dealing with two separate issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the information!!
I was wondering also if the large bolt that holds the compliance bushing to the control arm is used for any type of alignment adjustment? I was looking at it and was curious if that has to be a certain way, or can it be loosened and then re tightened? Was just thinking if it needed to be installed a specific way. Just double checking my self.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Only note on the bolt at the CB for the control arm is that it needs to be torqued down with a load on the vehicle (not with the wheel off the ground). Don't think this would cause your vibrations though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts