Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004, 265,000. Insufficient clearance to insert new lug stud. What are my options to create clearance? Is it safe to slightly trim lug stud (of course leaving plenty of room for lug nut)? TIA

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Without the Hub removed ? ...not much room it needs to be removed in order to replace the stud. That's how I saw it done unless someone here has discovered a way to do it ..

·
Registered
149 Posts
2004, 265,000. Insufficient clearance to insert new lug stud. What are my options to create clearance? Is it safe to slightly trim lug stud (of course leaving plenty of room for lug nut)? TIA
That's pretty much what Eric did in this video.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Managed it without cutting stud. Now clearance problem is that the head is too wide and is stuck against hub shaft (or whatever it's called). In the process of trimming it's width.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What are you doing? You have to remove the hub to press the stud out and back in.
Eric is crazy if he believes that whacking the bearing with a hammer and altering studs is safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a wheel lug stud break while removing the wheel. With the help of some lubricant and a couple of minutes with the hammer, the broken stud came out. With a bit of maneuvering but no alterations, I got the replacement wheel stud lined up with the hole. But I can't thread more than a mm or too thru the whole, because the tip of the lug stud can't get past the center piece (not sure what it's called). Only option, other than taking apart the hub, is to trim a side of the head.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Would Honda say that it's safe to grind down the head of a wheel stud? Of course not. Would I say it's safe? No, I would not. Would I use Eric's method on my own car? For one stud, maybe. If I needed to replace 3, probably not. But I would never tell someone else that it's a safe thing to do. If you want to use a questionable short cut, you're really on your own, and you can't expect this forum to bless the technique.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
That's why Eric the Car guy is not longer a Honda technician ....

Reactions: can
1 - 9 of 9 Posts