Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the left front wheel hub and CV axle. Anything special I should take into consideration before tackling this project myself? Any advice on ways to make the project easier for a novice DIYer? Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I need to replace the left front wheel hub and CV axle. Anything special I should take into consideration before tackling this project myself? Any advice on ways to make the project easier for a novice DIYer? Thanks!
General tips I wish someone had told me before I started working on cars:

• Watch at least three different YouTube videos and read every post you can find here until you're confident you completely understand the parts and the job.
  • Plan the work very carefully. Spend time under the car to ensure reality fits with your plans.
  • Start irrigating nuts with penetrating oil a week before you start, and repeat every other day.
  • Have at least one spare day before you really need the car so you're not in a hurry.
  • If you don't have access to a lift, use jack stands, and seriously try to push the car off the stands before you go underneath.
  • Book your alignment in advance.
  • Have all the torque specs handy before you start putting things back together.

And a few Pilot specifics:
  • Consider doing the suspension wear parts while you're in there if you're anywhere close to 100k miles.
  • Don't try to pull the speed sensor out of the steering knuckle. It will break. Don't look at it too hard. It will break.
  • Make sure that the tool you get to pop the ball joint from the knuckle is big enough for the Pilot

Above all, remind yourself its supposed to be fun most of the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent advice and much appreciated! I just put new struts, a sway bar, new brakes, and new tires on. It seems a lot of suspension and front end work is suddenly needed after hitting 90K miles. I would never had considered pre-lubricating everything. We do have access to a lift, thank goodness.

Thanks again and I definitely won’t make eye contact with the speed sensor!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
When you purchase the axle best place i would recommend is rockauto ... they are the only ones after buying from autozone and advanced auto the axle needs to be the same length.. not an half inch off ... move the speed ring over from the old to the new use caution it's aluminum and it can damage easy. you may see some trans fluid come out ..relax your not losing the entire amount. will make a poping sound when properly seated ...

watch the you tube videos until you do this in your sleep will make the job easier...on the second Gen pilots like ours they have the build quality of garbage so expect anything to fail after or near 100k ... keep in mind 105 k you due for the timing belt replacement lots of how too's here .. look under the 03-08 pilot ...its the same engine same way of swapping it .. service manual is around if you needed it ..somewhere in the forums ..

like others here follow what they recommend we got some awesome member that already been there ...done that ..

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
why do you think the build quality is garbage?
If you own a Gen 1 pilot like I do you will see the difference your self in workmanship , thickness of materials...( my beer can seem to have more heavier gauge of metal than the Gen 2 has lol ?) .. The Gen 1 pilots have been seen to make it passed 300k ... most have made it passed 200k on origional parts ..on the Gen 2 however I have seen parts fail as early as 80k . the Gen 2 was manufactured with cheaper lighter materials thus making it prone to failure at an earlier rate than a Gen 1 would fail at. Also Honda hired fisher price to make the interiors since most of it now is 97% plastic or so . :giggle: There are not too many people make it to 200k without either trading in the Pilot or having engine failures or something drastic. They are out there that do ...not many though...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a 2013 Pilot a bit over a year ago. The seller was a dealer, but only in the legal sense. The vehicle looked great. The story was great. I let my guard down. I ended up with a leaking transmission where the left axle inserts into the transmission. It was leaking because the previous axle and both struts had been destroyed by both front wheels hitting something hard - like a log. There was no Carfax data indicating a wreck. So, I had to replace both front struts and the left axle. The axle in the Pilot had actually been replaced - with the wrong part - hence the leak.

I had to learn once again - there is no place for trust in a vehicle acquisition.

I now have a 2013 with 53,000 miles that runs great - no leaks, but at a cost that was unintended.

By the way - I got the best deal on the complete strut package from Lumberton Honda out of NC. My preference was OE, and always is. It looks sturdy as it can be. The aftermarket choice for the total package were at the time no there. I think there is now an alternative, but it ain't that much cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts