Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Wheel cleaner for Black Shiny /new wheels

325 8
My 2022 SE has the black shiny wheels. I like it that the barrels are black and shiny too. Since they're new I'd like to keep them as nice as possible but I really don't need too aggressive of a cleaner since they're new and I'll be staying on top of them weekly. I'll be using a MF towel on the face of wheels and hitting them with a little carnuba to keep them extra shiny, but what wheel specific cleaner would you suggest. The reason I ask is that I've always been a little heavy handed when it comes to cleaning the wheels on our other cars and I'd like to treat these with additional care right from the start.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
A basic non acidic wheel cleaner should be fine. Meguiars has a couple. Carnuba won't hold up long due to the heat and brake dust. At a minimum I'd use a ceramic or graphene spay (EOD Titan) is getting good reviews . If they're new and little to no scratches yet, I'd use Carpro Dlux or Gyeon rim, even a normal glass bottle long term ceramic coating.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I use a 4” soft bristle paint brush and regular car wash soap on the painted rims. Then a coat of Meguiars #26 wax. Cheap, easy, nothing fancy and works great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2022 SE has the black shiny wheels. I like it that the barrels are black and shiny too. Since they're new I'd like to keep them as nice as possible but I really don't need too aggressive of a cleaner since they're new and I'll be staying on top of them weekly. I'll be using a MF towel on the face of wheels and hitting them with a little carnuba to keep them extra shiny, but what wheel specific cleaner would you suggest. The reason I ask is that I've always been a little heavy handed when it comes to cleaning the wheels on our other cars and I'd like to treat these with additional care right from the start.
I recently got 2022 black edition with black gloss rims like yours. I picked up a mcquire's hot rim and tire cleaner today because of filthy tires, but after reading some people's thought on spray type of wheel cleaner, I might just return it since it could be too aggressive for the black gloss rims

·
Registered
523 Posts
Meguiars Non acid wheel wheel and tire cleaner (drtu14332) or meguiars ultimate all wheel cleaner (G180124) are great non acid cleaners. The ultimate also has iron remover in it. Another good one I've been using recently is turtle wax hybrid solutions hyper foam wheel cleaner & tire prep (sorry no part number). Grab a tire brush from harbor freight, agitate, then rinse off. Normal car wash for the rims.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner and everything seems to be working just fine. As RP said above, it's a non acid cleaner so there should be any problems. Just be sure to use a MF towel or mit when cleaning them since the gloss black finish is going to scratch up (and show it) quickly if you're not watching what you're doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Meguiars Non acid wheel wheel and tire cleaner (drtu14332) or meguiars ultimate all wheel cleaner (G180124) are great non acid cleaners. The ultimate also has iron remover in it. Another good one I've been using recently is turtle wax hybrid solutions hyper foam wheel cleaner & tire prep (sorry no part number). Grab a tire brush from harbor freight, agitate, then rinse off. Normal car wash for the rims.
Thank you for the product recommendations with part numbers. I will look into all of them!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm using the Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner and everything seems to be working just fine. As RP said above, it's a non acid cleaner so there should be any problems. Just be sure to use a MF towel or mit when cleaning them since the gloss black finish is going to scratch up (and show it) quickly if you're not watching what you're doing.
I think I saw the Mcguire's All Wheel Cleaner at a local store. Thanks for the cleaning tip. I was going to clean using the wheel brush without knowing it could scratch the gloss black finish.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you look at the wheels under a very bright light or the sun hitting them just right you can see the micro-abrasions. Mine were new and barely noticeable so I just cleaned the wheels and then coated them with some Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions ceramic spray coating. It's not ideal for wheels since it doesn't last that long and the heat from the tires/wheels will shorten its effectiveness, but it does keep the dirt and debris from sticking to the wheel and your weekly washes end up being a whole lot easier. Actually, if you can get them coated with almost anything there's no reason to use the All Wheel Cleaner, most OTC washes with clean them right up. I would only do the Meguiar's every 3rd or 4th wash.

Let me expand for a minute... I would first hit them with the Meguiars to deep clean any road and brake grime, then do a light wash with your favorite soap, dry them thoroughly and then apply a coating of your choice. I actually climbed under my car to ensure I got the barrels as clean as possible before applying the TWHS ceramic spray. Just follow the instructions. And always use a MF towel or mitt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts