Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 EX-L, rack, boards, hitch 2007 Ex-L Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V, rack
41 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
The good-job-well-done future self-congratulatory beer should be on ice, too.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L, rack, boards, hitch 2007 Ex-L Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V, rack
41 Posts
It is! 3 of the 4 nuts on the backer plate bolts cooperated. But the 4th kept spinning like it wanted to dance; so I pulled out the grinder and asked the bolt if I could cut in! :ROFLMAO: So now its bearing/hub pressing time and soon it will be Miller Time! And I'll remount everything tomorrow. But tell me why the dealer doesnt have the damn M12 1
25 flange nut in stock - "Oh, we'll have to order that in for you because your car is so old." :mad: Uhhh . . . No! C'mon Honda . . . You're better than that!

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
9,292 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry for delay. All done! Son and I finished up. All in all, did driver's rear knuckle, bearing and hub; rear shocks, upper control arms, rotors, and brakes - parking brakes ended up being fine. Went with some nice Blue Moon with a shot of my favorite single malt. Then took to Firestone for alignment (have a lifetime alignment), warranty tire replacement, and cooling system pressure check. Next repair is water pump/timing belt - already done at 105k major service, but have coolant leak from water pump - 2007 coolant leak...water pump?! Never ends . . . but the Devil Pilot you know is better than the one you don't know! :cool:

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forgot to mention, that Firestone called to say they couldn't align Pilot because driver's side inner and outer tie rods seized. Told me that passenger side didn't seize. Odd! Authorized replacement of driver's side; picked up Pilot and they had replaced both sides but wrote off parts and labor for passenger side because they had already told me they were fine. Hilarious! Had them save the parts and indeed they had both seized and had to be cut off.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Forgot to mention, that Firestone called to say they couldn't align Pilot because driver's side inner and outer tie rods seized. Told me that passenger side didn't seize. Odd! Authorized replacement of driver's side; picked up Pilot and they had replaced both sides but wrote off parts and labor for passenger side because they had already told me they were fine. Hilarious! Had them save the parts and indeed they had both seized and had to be cut off.
That was really nice of them. Do you know what brand of parts they used going back in?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep. Duralast inners, Moog outers (same that I had priced at RockAuto, AutoZone and Amazon when I was going to do them myself). "Nice of them," yes - especially since parts and labor on one side alone was about 2x + what it should have been; So they still made a few bucks. And given weather, lack of lift, fact that I'd have had to find the inner tie rod tool, and fact that I would have had to get the Pilot, bring it home, do the work, then take back for the alignment, I'm good with it!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did notice FS went right at them with a sawzall and they were otherwise bone dry - meaning no WD40 soaking. But they were the originals - 15 years/138k miles. So the Lord clearly was saying 'rest your back this weekend and kick your feet up and let somebody else do the work!' 😉 But wife said "Good, now you have time to fix some other 💩!!!" 🤣

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I did notice FS went right at them with a sawzall and they were otherwise bone dry - meaning no WD40 soaking. But they were the originals - 15 years/138k miles. So the Lord clearly was saying 'rest your back this weekend and kick your feet up and let somebody else do the work!' 😉 But wife said "Good, now you have time to fix some other 💩!!!" 🤣

Reactions: D-Dub

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pretty much!!!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
"Nice of them,"
OK, but I'm still somewhat disappointed in places whose two main tools are the Sawzall
and the parts cannon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Absolutely! I'm going to soak the ends just to see if they could have done this right!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts