Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a bad right rear wheel bearing and got a quote from a dealer for 400, plus 100 for a wheel alignment. I looked to do this myself and bought a Haynes manual and the book says to take it to an auto shop (the work is too involved and needs special tools). So it was no help.

I've looked online and can't find a good step by step instructions. Does anyone have any? How easy is it to do? I've done brake pads, rotors, general maintenance stuff on most of my cars before.

Do I really need to take disconnect the lower control arm? I've seen some tools sold that allow a bearing to be removed while on the hub. How easy is that to use?

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you have the right tools you may be able to do it. The problem with the rear is you may have to take it apart to remove the drive shaft if you are 4wd.

I believe the part that the bearing is pressed into is referred to at the knuckle, the hub is pressed into the inner ring of the wheel bearing, and is what your brake disc and wheel are bolted to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the right tools you may be able to do it. The problem with the rear is you may have to take it apart to remove the drive shaft if you are 4wd.

I believe the part that the bearing is pressed into is referred to at the knuckle, the hub is pressed into the inner ring of the wheel bearing, and is what your brake disc and wheel are bolted to.
Thanks. Sounds like I'm going to the dealer. I bought my own parts so that will save me about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The rear knuckle for the 03 and 06 4wd are the same part number, therefore the procedure to replace the wheel bearing is the same. Send me a message with your email and I will send you the procedure from the service manual for my 03 if you still think you may want to take the job on yourself.

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rear knuckle for the 03 and 06 4wd are the same part number, therefore the procedure to replace the wheel bearing is the same. Send me a message with your email and I will send you the procedure from the service manual for my 03 if you still think you may want to take the job on yourself.

Pete
Message sent. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005 Honda Pilot rear wheel bearing replacment

this is a small project you have to remove the tire , pop the axel nut cover and put the ebrake on and bang the indent on the axel nut up and break it loose 36 mm socket . then release the ebrake and remove the 2 philps head screws holding the rotor to the hub . remove the disc breaks and caliper mount then tie it up with a peice of mechanics wire to the spring , then remove the ebrake assembly and the ebrake cable , the upper swing arm and the 4 bolts and lower A ARM AND SHOCK , i removed the hole knuckle from the truck but be carful of the brake lines . Then you can have the hub pressed out of the bearing and the bearing pressed out of the knuckle there is a large C clip holding the bearing in place . it is a pain in the butt!!! especialy if you dont have a bearing press or access to one .

19mm for lug nuts 10mm,12mm ,14mm,17mm are some of the sockets you will need:bangh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is a small project you have to remove the tire , pop the axel nut cover and put the ebrake on and bang the indent on the axel nut up and break it loose 36 mm socket . then release the ebrake and remove the 2 philps head screws holding the rotor to the hub . remove the disc breaks and caliper mount then tie it up with a peice of mechanics wire to the spring , then remove the ebrake assembly and the ebrake cable , the upper swing arm and the 4 bolts and lower A ARM AND SHOCK , i removed the hole knuckle from the truck but be carful of the brake lines . Then you can have the hub pressed out of the bearing and the bearing pressed out of the knuckle there is a large C clip holding the bearing in place . it is a pain in the butt!!! especialy if you dont have a bearing press or access to one .

19mm for lug nuts 10mm,12mm ,14mm,17mm are some of the sockets you will need:bangh:
i looked all over for some info on this job and all that i found was info about a oddessy van that isnt the same so if someone can find this this will be helpful

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quick comment: I have 08 Pilot EX-SE AWD; that means essentially the rear bearing is similar as a front bearing. Poster who mentions to remove whole knuckle is right on there; but if you wish to leave the knuckle in two items are needed:

1) Slide hammer: for either a FWD fwd or rear AWD bearing -> attach to bolts on the hub and this pulls the hub out with the inner bearing race stuck on (that needs separated and there are couple of ways that can be done).
2) Bearing puller/installer kit. Harbor Freight sells one and there are number of YouTube showing how it works; the motivation of it is mostly for fwd bearing so you keep the alignment in place w/o removing the whole knuckle; will work on rear with correct cup sizes.
3) Yeah I said 2 items; but forgot the inner race will stay with the hub. Folks are using air chisel or bearing separators to pull the inner race. There are a smattering of YouTube videos showing that step.....

Good Luck. I have not done a bearing on the Pilot, have studied up on DIY at home since my much older Subaru AWD Outback will come due earlier....looks like DIY at home on wheel bearing in an driven axle vs stub axle assembly (that I have done a bunch of times on VW Jetta rear) take more elbow grease....so if you are light on that.....take the whole knuckle to a shop and let them do the pressing....btw, Harbor freight sells presses....thinking to invest in one of those vs slide hammer + in place bearing puller......other things on car can use the press.....decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had my rear wheel bearing replaced on my 2008 Pilot. Being 4WD, meant that a lot of parts had to be removed to pull the axel out. It required many tools that I don't have so I am glad I had it done at a garage. It cost me $240, but it was done right and in just a couple hours. I don't go to the dealer unless my garage tells me I need to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up going to the dealer and used their parts. I wanted to tackle the job but it looked overly complicated, at least with all the parts to remove and I didn't how the tools. I thought about buying the parts at Harbor Freight, the bearing tool and the lower control arm separator, but it was starting to add up and I still wasn't sure I wanted to take on the job. I was going to bring my own parts too, but the dealer would not warranty the work. I did not consider bringing it to a local garage because I have not had great success going to these yahoos.

The dealer warranted the work and parts for a year, and I had heard of stories of people re-doing their wheel bearings after a couple of months, so I decided to not take a chance. Bringing my own parts was a difference of $100 with the dealer still doing the work, so not worth it to me.

Maybe if I need another replaced soon I might take it on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing my 03 EX rear bearing and now wish I didn't. By the time I realized it wasn't the tires making the noise the bearing had gotten pretty bad. The parts are adding up which I would have had to pay for with a dealer anyway but they have all the tools.
It's more involved than just popping off the hub. The whole knuckle needs to come off and with a 03 all the bolts are very rusted. I found I needed a new backing plate and hub plus the bearing. bite the bullet on this one and have a shop do it. Be ready to pay more than the estimate.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L, rack, boards, hitch 2007 Ex-L Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V, rack
41 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
For those searching like me, I just found this post - DIY Wheel Bearing replacement
Nice find!
Before buying special tools, might check O'Reilly tool loaner program. They have the bearing hub kit, a slide hammer without attachment so that may go with a 3rd kit they might have.
Nice DIY!

·
Registered
2017 EX-L, rack, boards, hitch 2007 Ex-L Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V, rack
41 Posts
Nice find!
Before buying special tools, might check O'Reilly tool loaner program. They have the bearing hub kit, a slide hammer without attachment so that may go with a 3rd kit they might have.
Nice DIY!
Thanks! Unfortunately, no O'Reillys near me and neither Harbor Freight nor Auto Zone near me had loaners. But my son is mechanic-in-training, so I'll pass these to him for his tool kit to help him get started. 😉

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got the hub and part of the bearing out (5lb slide hammer - about 15 raps) - will take the remaining race off of the hub and then clean the hub up for future use. Getting the knuckle off was pretty easy once I found that the key to getting the parking brake cable out of the backing plate was a 12 mm combo box end to press the connector arms down and then slide the cable out of the backing plate after disassembling the parking brakes. I have new shoes and hardware ($40 total) but the old shoes look fine.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
41 Posts
The backing plate bolts seized to the nuts and are just spinning since the bolt heads are round. Soaked 'em overnight in WD-40 and will get at them with vise-grips now. Otherwise off to the dealer for new backing plate. Had to pop out the old abs sensor which had seized as well - already had new one on hand.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
When you go to press the new bearing in, put it in the freezer first. It reduces the size a fraction. Helps it go in easier.
@andywatson tip/trick.

Reactions: aggrex and D-Dub
1 - 20 of 33 Posts