Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 with 60K. Started hearing a low hum while driving that is pronounced at lower speeds. It is accompanied by an ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel. Should I expect my bearings to be going bad at only 60K?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
i have noticed these stupid gen 2s do wear out faster for parts eat tires alot quicker than my two gen 1s. then again on my tahoe i had a bearing fail at 45 k on the meter.. hit or miss at this point.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Swimming is the prominent cause of front bearing failure. The bearings get warm in operation, with heat added from the brakes. They have rubber lip seals between the outer and inner races to try and keep water and dirt out. Drop the warm/hot bearings into colder water and the air, and whatever inside will shrink slightly, causing some of that water to get sucked in around the seal lips. It only takes a little bit, and the corrosion starts. The seals are designed better to keep grease in a than they are at keep moisture out. Moisture inside wants to stay inside, unfortunately. Once the corrosion starts, it's slippery slope to failure.

So... How many miles will the bearings last without swimming, and how many after? Consider also that the problem is the same if you drive through deep puddles, spray hot hubs with the garden hose while washing the car, etc. Water that cools the bearings quickly is suspect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a data point... I have a 2013 with 75K miles on it and now have replaced both the drivers side rear and passenger side front wheel bearings. Super annoying to say the least. Dr. Bob may be correct on his assessment above, but as a counter point... I have a 99 Toyota 4Runner with 168K miles that sees a lot of heat and water crossings. It is a camp / 4 wheel / end of the world bug out vehicle and those bearings have no issue. ;-) The 4Runner also has it's original 21 year old door lock actuators that still function... unlike the two that I also had to replace on my Pilot. As they say, YMMV.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lastly... to the OP... if you are right at 60K miles you might consider going to Honda for a diagnosis... the fronts are covered under the Powertrain Warranty. You have a good case for a free replacement if in fact one or both of your fronts are bad!

·
Registered
164 Posts
130k miles with no issues. There are so many factors that go into what kills the bearings that this isn’t going to be useful. Driving conditions differ so much. A bumpy curvy drive is a lot harder on the bearings than mostly highway miles.

That said I know a number of Guys that take sealed bearings and take them apart to replace the grease with redline grease which is better for higher temps in more racing type of applications.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've disassembled a few "sealed" bearings for failure-mode inspection. As tempting as the thought is on repacking, getting the seals and shields back in is almost impossible. I use the Redline CV-2 on lots of things like the roller wheel bearings in the not-FWD toys in the garage. For the sealed-bearing duty, it's easier to just replace the bearing or bearing/carrier than it is to try and DIY up-engineer them with different grease.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 with 60K. Started hearing a low hum while driving that is pronounced at lower speeds. It is accompanied by an ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel. Should I expect my bearings to be going bad at only 60K?
I have a 2012 Pilot with 203k mikes. Just now looking to replace bearings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our front wheel bearings went bad at 70K miles in our 2013. I've replaced the two fronts, and the passenger side rear myself. I have a fourth to do but I'm just so frustrated with this car the part is just sitting on my work bench. The job is quite easy to do yourself to save on labor. The rear parking brake shoes froze into the hub when I replaced the passenger side, so I had a massive issue there getting that one replaced myself, although I eventually got the shoes loosened and bearing out.

I hate this vehicle. If it wasn't paid off it would be gone by now. So many parts have failed and we still need to replace the front engine mount and transmission mount, we've got some crazy loud uneven rotational squeaking that only happens around 25 mph and when the engine is cold (2 different mechanics haven't been able to diagnose it after multiple days of searching and I haven't either), and of course we also have the sluggish acceleration issue for which there appears to be absolutely no fix for. There is a new problem every month with this crap pile. This year pilot is a terribly unreliable vehicle for us and will be our last Honda ever purchased.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm on the original bearings @66k. With the horrendous roads around here I wouldn't be surprised if they prematurely fail.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our front wheel bearings went bad at 70K miles in our 2013. I've replaced the two fronts, and the passenger side rear myself. I have a fourth to do but I'm just so frustrated with this car the part is just sitting on my work bench. The job is quite easy to do yourself to save on labor. The rear parking brake shoes froze into the hub when I replaced the passenger side, so I had a massive issue there getting that one replaced myself, although I eventually got the shoes loosened and bearing out.

I hate this vehicle. If it wasn't paid off it would be gone by now. So many parts have failed and we still need to replace the front engine mount and transmission mount, we've got some crazy loud uneven rotational squeaking that only happens around 25 mph and when the engine is cold (2 different mechanics haven't been able to diagnose it after multiple days of searching and I haven't either), and of course we also have the sluggish acceleration issue for which there appears to be absolutely no fix for. There is a new problem every month with this crap pile. This year pilot is a terribly unreliable vehicle for us and will be our last Honda ever purchased.
I feel your pain! Our 2012 with 90k miles has had so much crap replaced and we still have issues with it. It's also paid off and we rarely drive it, so we don't want to have another car payment on something we don't drive as much. At this point, we take it on road trips, but I'm always concerned whatever's causing some of my issues is finally going to break. Various mechanics can't seem to figure out why I have a vibration on the highway that comes and goes, why my acceleration is crap off the line, and why I have a shudder from 20-30 mph on moderate to hard acceleration. All new engine mounts, front axles, and VCMTuner haven't fixed those issues. You can see my thread here for details on my issues: https://www.piloteers.org/threads/2012-pilot-ex-l-motor-mounts.164297/

This, too, will be my last Honda after owning eight. It seems their small 4 cylinder cars are fine. It's their bigger vehicles with the VCM V6 that have the issues. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason they went to a turbo 4 on the Accord instead of a V6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts