Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering upgrading my wheels and tires for the Pilot. I am thinking of going with 17" Millie Miglia Spiders for wheels and 255-60-17 Dunlops for tires. This upgrade will run me about $1000 total. I would use the stock wheels and tires for winter purposes.

Do you guys think that this is worth doing??? I have been wanting some sweet wheels on my cars since I was about 15 years old.

Please advise...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
Looks Good

Will the tire size upgrade impact your speedometer and how will the width of the tire (255) impact your wheel wells????

I'd be interested in your results, because I'm looking at a wheel and tire upgrade as well.


Good Luck,


PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The diameter will still be 29" and the width, according to the Tire Rack anyway, will be no problem.

The question is, do you think it is worth $1000 to do this???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
MG Pilot said:
The diameter will still be 29" and the width, according to the Tire Rack anyway, will be no problem.

The question is, do you think it is worth $1000 to do this???
I'm kinda diggin' the look of those wheels. Although it wouldn't be worth a grand to me, it may be for you. How much do you really, really want 'em?? It you really, really want 'em - GO FOR IT, MG! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Definitely a personal decision, but I think they would look good. Just make sure the wheels have the same or greater weight capacity. I know a lot of car wheels will fit but it will lower the ability for you to haul cargo and people and that is something you probably don't want to mess with. The people at Tire Rack are very knowledgeable and have always given me quality advice. So if you have $1000 to spend on accessories, go for it, remember you will see you car every day and if you can make it look better why shouldn't you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I like them. Go for 18's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
MG Pilot said:
The diameter will still be 29" and the width, according to the Tire Rack anyway, will be no problem.

The question is, do you think it is worth $1000 to do this???
Well, like people have said, this is a personal choice -- a few weeks ago, I spent $150 on e-bay for a diecast model that is probably $14.99 at Wal-Mart (if it were available), but I wanted it, so I went for it. [ Putting on my Dr. Phil hat ] If you're going to be happy with them, then by all means, do it! [ Taking off my Dr. Phil hat ]

Just don't paint the spokes red like baoloclamdong was going to do...!!! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
I would just check with Honda (just in case) for any warranty problems which may arise....

I'm talking about the VTM 4x4 system.

Your gas mileage may suffer a bit and perhaps you'll pick up a bit more road noise.

Aside from those little things, I think the 17inchers and those rims would make your Pilot look pretty sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Aftermarket rims and tires

I have a LX and went with 17 inch rims and 235/65/17 Continental contact 4X4. This is the correct fit for one plus sizing. I think the 255/60/17 may not fit. The tire rack is where I went to. I posted a photo in the gallery in Oct. If you want to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Aftermarket rims and tires

pilotguy said:
I have a LX and went with 17 inch rims and 235/65/17 Continental contact 4X4. This is the correct fit for one plus sizing. I think the 255/60/17 may not fit. The tire rack is where I went to. I posted a photo in the gallery in Oct. If you want to see.
I saw your Pilot...not bad. The size does fit, as I already tried them out. There are more then one plus one size applications. If you want to go with a larger wheel, it's not a bad idea to go a little wider tire as well, if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
No Problems

I did the 17x8 Mille Miglia Actions w/ Miich Cross Terrains. Overall, all aspects of handling are better. Cornering, braking, even accelerating. It makes the whole car more stable. I've had no problems with anything and the dealer hasn't balked at looking at a pull to the left. They realigned it. In gact they love what I've done to it and want me to come hang out so I can park it out front to attract customers.

I think this size makes the car. The under-tired look (and feel) of stock was one of my first complaints. The seceond was the sunroof. Fixed that, too. ;)

Making this upgrade was well worth it (to me). I'd do it again.

Now I love my Pilot, not just like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Go to AcuraMDX.org.
A few of those guys have done 19's and 20's.
I would look into at least an 18. 17 won't do to much of an improvement.
Honda, in my opinion, but the cheapest smallest tires, as does every manufacturer, they could find. A 255 would be a good fit, but a 265 might be even better.
good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TXPilot said:
Go to AcuraMDX.org.
A few of those guys have done 19's and 20's.
I would look into at least an 18. 17 won't do to much of an improvement.
Honda, in my opinion, but the cheapest smallest tires, as does every manufacturer, they could find. A 255 would be a good fit, but a 265 might be even better.
good luck!
I'm not sure you know a whole lot about this sort of thing...

First off, 18+ inch wheels for the Pilot are few and far between. Secondly, going more than a plus one upgrade can actually REDUCE the drivability of a vehicle.

Sure 19 or 20 inch wheels would look better, but at what cost? Have you ever ridden in a car with 19 or 20 inch wheels that was not originally set up for this type of application??? It's not pretty. It's like riding in a lumber cart. With regards to the width of tire, going from a 235 to a 255 tire with a 17” inch rim makes a world of difference in terms of handling. I’m not even sure a 265 would fit in the wheel well w/o any mods.

Finally, there is the issue of cost. Have you ever priced 18”+ tires??? You can end up paying $200+ per tire. Taking this all into account, I went with the setup listed in my sig…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
$1K isn't bad for wheel and tire set combo. I'm going to echo everyone here and tell you to go with 18". If you're goingwith 255 tires, try and get wheels that are 2-4mm negative offset from the factory wheels.
The wheels will affect your speedometer, but only by about 3mph at 70mph. There's a website (sorry forgot the URL) that calculates the difference when you switch wheels and tire sizes...run a search at google.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
MG Pilot said:


First off, 18+ inch wheels for the Pilot are few and far between. Secondly, going more than a plus one upgrade can actually REDUCE the drivability of a vehicle.

Sure 19 or 20 inch wheels would look better, but at what cost? Have you ever ridden in a car with 19 or 20 inch wheels that was not originally set up for this type of application??? It's not pretty. It's like riding in a lumber cart. With regards to the width of tire, going from a 235 to a 255 tire with a 17” inch rim makes a world of difference in terms of handling. I’m not even sure a 265 would fit in the wheel well w/o any mods.

There are folks on the AcuraMDX.org that are running 295/40/20 on there vehicles.
265 or 275 should be no problem. As far as drivability being taken away, sure the ride is a little firmer but handling will be much improved over the stock setup and your setup. Your size is too close to stock for me. 235/65.17 comes on the MDX, granted we drive Pilots but its the same vehicle. You only have 2 sizes bigger or roughly 20 mm or 2 cm. Thats not much for $2000 although a great improvement over stock Pilot specs.
If it was me, I would get the maximum tire and rim for the money. I personally would not do a 20, but I would do at least and 18 with at least a 265

Do not know too much on the subject, I have worked many years at a national tire store through college and have bought multiple wheels and tires for my personal cars. I have extensive hands-on experience on the subject. It is obvious that our tastes are different, that's all.

Maybe you are bitter because you did not go bigger! J/K!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
kemosabe said:


Well, like people have said, this is a personal choice -- a few weeks ago, I spent $150 on e-bay for a diecast model that is probably $14.99 at Wal-Mart (if it were available), but I wanted it, so I went for it. [ Putting on my Dr. Phil hat ] If you're going to be happy with them, then by all means, do it! [ Taking off my Dr. Phil hat ]

Just don't paint the spokes red like baoloclamdong was going to do...!!! :eek:
I just asked for your opinions,did not do it:D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
wheels

I am not very wealthy like the rest of you. I had to buy the LX model.
Unfortunately it comes with steel rims. Do any of you EX buyers want to sell your stock EX 16" alloy wheels. Or do you know where I can get some? I found a site online that would sell and ship for $622. Still a little to high for me. Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top