Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asymmetric tire wear - front internal side both tires.
Just came back from wheel alignment shop; they did not do diagnostics because there was a line of cars in the front of mebut they told me it most definitely camber and because Honda does not allow for camber adjustment they will have to do additional custom work (probably $200 more on the top of alignment cost).

I am having hard time to comprehend if Honda would really have this shortcoming.

My Pilot was not in accident, I don’t remember I hit some serious pothole or curb. It has more than 100K (Pilot 2012) and I have never experienced any issue related to alignment until recently when it started “eating” my tires on internal side.

I can always go back to the dealer and try to do alignment there vs local shop but wanted to get some feedback from community here.
Did anyone experience this?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
A poor toe adjustment (toe'd out) offers almost exactly the same symptoms. Differences: Camber offers wear that tapers gradually one side to the other. Toe'd out often scrubs the inner ribs really hard, leaving a lot of the rest of the tread nice and even. Don't take a blind "it must be camber" diagnosis from the approach lane.

You can verify camber a yourself a couple ways. Easiest way is with a digital level and a couple spacers to measure the actual camber from rim edges. The car needs to be on a level side-to-side floor of course. Next and more accurate option is to make the same measurement with a carpenter's bubble level. Use drill bits as spacers at the top to find the distance between the level and the rim with the level actually vertical, bottom against the rim. There's some calculator math (trig) to translate that drill bit thickness into degrees and minutes of camber angle, but this is certainly easily repeatable. FWIW, if the car is sitting at normal ride height, no accidents, and the lower control arm bushings (including that compliance bushing at the back of the arm) are not damaged, the camber will be fine.

Toe-out offers slightly more initial turn-in feel. Toe-in is spec'd on most road cars so that all the wear and stacked clearances in the suspension steering can result in the tires rolling in parallel. FWIW, unless the toe has been set poorly sometime in the past, it's unlikely that it would change on its own.

Do you have factory wheels mounted? Wheels with the wrong offset (stick out too far) can load the steering clearances incorrectly and give you the toe'd out condition.

Reactions: FromCTtoNJ

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If you live in the northern jersey area i can tell you places on where NOT to go they are crooks .. talking from experience here :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Follow-up thoughts after re-reading the OP's original post:

Knowing how well the south jersey roads are maintained, I'm thinking that the 115k on the original front shocks will have a lot to do with the uneven tire wear he reports. The suspension geometry is such that ride height changes equal the equivalent of a side-to-side scrubbing motion of the tire on the pavement. Further, the total toe changes as effective ride height changes, adding to possible scrub wear on the inside edges due to a toe'd-out condition.

Based on the second read, I'm amending my recommendation to include new dampers at all four corners based on mileage and driving conditions, followed by a fully-settled alignment. There's a pretty good argument for using genuine Honda replacement dampers, based on life expectancy and ride comfort.

Reactions: FromCTtoNJ

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
In NJ the terminology of a pot hole takes on a whole new meaning I have seen countless times where vehicles bottom out in a pot whole and the wheel disappears. ..I have seen z rated rims break on impact to these massive craters. On the other hand you can send the Dot the repair bill of the damaged rim and location and they will reimburse the cost of the repair.

Reactions: Alc50

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
In my deep dark past, I have to confess to being a NJ resident into my learning-to-drive years. I escaped to go to school on the west coast, where it took a few years to unlearn the NJ habits and forget the pretty dismal road maintenance practices. I managed to stay away for 25+ years, but then it all came back to me in a flash as I exited Newark airport and turned south on the turnpike towards destination Linden. I felt bad for the rental car.

In other news... yesterday, the local city council decided to offer a bond measure next May to fund some new roads construction. There isn't funding now to maintain the roads we have, and bond money can't go to maintain existing roads. I'll speculate that the situation is similar in most other places. Increasing fuel taxes is the solution, but nobody really wants to actually plan and pay for anything with tax dollars.

Back to your Rocky Road ice cream....

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have asymmetric tire wear - front internal side both tires.
Just came back from wheel alignment shop; they did not do diagnostics because there was a line of cars in the front of mebut they told me it most definitely camber and because Honda does not allow for camber adjustment they will have to do additional custom work (probably $200 more on the top of alignment cost).

I am having hard time to comprehend if Honda would really have this shortcoming.

My Pilot was not in accident, I don’t remember I hit some serious pothole or curb. It has more than 100K (Pilot 2012) and I have never experienced any issue related to alignment until recently when it started “eating” my tires on internal side.

I can always go back to the dealer and try to do alignment there vs local shop but wanted to get some feedback from community here.
Did anyone experience this?
Many other brands out there also.They want to charge you $200 to install these?

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Some of the best potholes I have ever found are in NJ and PA.....

I have receipts for tires and wheels to prove it.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts