Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Chevy/GMC is the ugly ducking. Tundra is so old but commands a pretty devout following. Wifey thinks pick ups are ruff ridin' gun totin machines. Well the F150 is one option but its ride is streets behind the Ram 1500 which I felt connected to far better than the Ford.
You know you want a RAM Limited with the Cummins turbodiesel engine.
Tell the wifey you'll need it, along with a gun rack, in order to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You know you want a RAM Limited with the Cummins turbodiesel engine.
Tell the wifey you'll need it, along with a gun rack, in order to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse.
PASS... I prefer my trucks a little more simple. If I want a luxury vehicle I'll go buy a luxury vehicle. Give me a lower trim package and I'm good to go.

Also, I'm not towing 30,000 lbs up mountains, so unlike many who live in my County I don't need an HD pickup at all, let alone a diesel to park at my office and the local grocery store.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
PASS... I prefer my trucks a little more simple. If I want a luxury vehicle I'll go buy a luxury vehicle. Give me a lower trim package and I'm good to go.

Also, I'm not towing 30,000 lbs up mountains, so unlike many who live in my County I don't need an HD pickup at all, let alone a diesel to park at my office and the local grocery store.
It's not about what you need, it's about what you want.
That, and the image you're trying to project and being able to brag about what your TRUCK could do.

There are two barbers at the shop I (used) to patronize.
One drives a lifted RAM pick-up truck with a HEMI engine, while the other drives a Toyota Avalon Hybrid sedan.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,981 Posts

Why not? You have a Honda Pilot with a trailer hitch and ATF cooler.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
It's not about what you need, it's about what you want.
That, and the image you're trying to project and being able to brag about what your TRUCK could do.

There are two barbers at the shop I (used) to patronize.
One drives a lifted RAM pick-up truck with a HEMI engine, while the other drives a Toyota Avalon Hybrid sedan.
I wouldn't go for a hybrid either, the enthusiast in me can't get behind that. Right now we are single income while my wife is attending PA school, it's all about needs right now. Maybe in 5 years once she graduates and pays off school we can look at wants.

Why not? You have a Honda Pilot with a trailer hitch and ATF cooler.
The Pilot and the Traverse both rarely notice my 2,000 lb utility trailer when it's fully loaded, hard to imagine upgrading to a 90k diesel pickup could be that much of an upgrade for my use.

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
I wouldn't go for a hybrid either, the enthusiast in me can't get behind that. Right now we are single income while my wife is attending PA school, it's all about needs right now. Maybe in 5 years once she graduates and pays off school we can look at wants.

The Pilot and the Traverse both rarely notice my 2,000 lb utility trailer when it's fully loaded, hard to imagine upgrading to a 90k diesel pickup could be that much of an upgrade for my use.
But... But....But.... It's a Honda Pilot. It will pull anything, or at least some people think so. I just wanted to know what pulling 30,000 # with a Pilot was like. Plus I am also curious to know how many feet you got before the transmission fell on the ground. 😄 😆 :ROFLMAO:

As for wants, if you are planning on waiting 5 years, (which makes sense) AND waiting until she has school all paid off, you might as well buy the fancy streamers for the walker you will getting by that time. The cost of higher education has gone stupid these days.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
But... But....But.... It's a Honda Pilot. It will pull anything, or at least some people think so. I just wanted to know what pulling 30,000 # with a Pilot was like. Plus I am also curious to know how many feet you got before the transmission fell on the ground. 😄 😆 :ROFLMAO:

As for wants, if you are planning on waiting 5 years, (which makes sense) AND waiting until she has school all paid off, you might as well buy the fancy streamers for the walker you will getting by that time. The cost of higher education has gone stupid these days.
PA school is going to cost $60-$70k for the entire program. She is in line to get a couple scholarships and grants to chip away at $5kish per year (2 year program). So with my salary and hers (which should be around $125k in MD, more if she goes into Baltimore) we should be able to pay it off pretty quick.

I hope.

While we are complaining about the cost of things I'll add that the cost to buy a house is ridiculous and that I will vote for any politician that will fix that system. Paying over $500k for a house that we bought for $238 because of the glories of compound interest is absolutely insane in my humble opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
Man don't I know it. The price of housing in some areas it absolutely insane. The father in law was a Full Bird in the Air Force. Spent 3 different tours of duty at the Pentagon and on their first tour bought a simple, nice 3 bedroom ranch in Alexandria VA, about 1 1/2 miles from Mount Vernon. It had a basement, unfinished, a car port and a decent yard. A house that at the time would have sold for about $75,000. When they were not in Alexandria the leased the house to other USAF personal. When he retired they sold the house for somewhere in the neighborhood of 600K - 800k. Absolutely ridiculous.

California is even stupider. Our ranch is 3,472 square feet, 3 car garage, 4 bedroom, 3 full bath, on slightly less than 1/4 acre in a nice, quiet subdivision. We paid 200k for it. 10 years ago. We were in San Diego a couple of years back and I was wondering around in the Gaslight District where we were staying. Walked by a Berkshire Hathaway realtor office with photos of houses for sail in the San Diego area. Realtor comes out and we start talking. Long story short showed him some photos of our house inside and out and he advised that our house out there would be in the 2-4 million range. I was more than shocked to say the least. Out there you don't buy a house to own, you buy a house to live in. People don't get their houses paid off to often out there any more from what he was saying.

Our house is a nice house but it's nothing fancy, and for 2-4 million here I could own a whole square mile for my yard and have a 10,000 to 15,000 square foot house with all of the amenities you could ever need or what.

Thats why when we watch shows like Property Brothers or Love It Or List It, our jaws drop at the price of the homes they are showing etc. I can't imagine paying that kind of price for a house.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Also glad we got in when we did. I worry for our next generation, coming out of college (often with debt), then wanting to get a house to start a family. And buy cars.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Also glad we got in when we did. I worry for our next generation, coming out of college (often with debt), then wanting to get a house to start a family. And buy cars.
I'm 9 years out of college now... it was and is a struggle for sure, it's why I had to trade in my new Tacoma 1 year in and get a $8k Accord. We had kids right after we got married which was right after graduating so we never had more than a year or so to just make money and save it or blow it (we saved).

I will say we are better off than a lot of our peers who came out and started blowing the money they made so when they bought a car or a house they got in tons of debt very quickly.

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
I'm 9 years out of college now... it was and is a struggle for sure, it's why I had to trade in my new Tacoma 1 year in and get a $8k Accord. We had kids right after we got married which was right after graduating so we never had more than a year or so to just make money and save it or blow it (we saved).

I will say we are better off than a lot of our peers who came out and started blowing the money they made so when they bought a car or a house they got in tons of debt very quickly.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I didn't marry rich but I did marry smart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 80k on my 2015 Pilot and plan on driving it until it starts starts costing too much in repairs. Then it won’t be another Honda because I prefer the more boxy style like my 15 vs. the 16 styling. After a nearly 30 year career at Honda my next buy will be my 1st non Honda purchase since 1990!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I loathe 16+ Pilot look. When my '13 gives up the ghost, I will see whats there. Might go with Chevy Tahoe or even Lincoln Navigator.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have 80k on my 2015 Pilot and plan on driving it until it starts starts costing too much in repairs. Then it won’t be another Honda because I prefer the more boxy style like my 15 vs. the 16 styling. After a nearly 30 year career at Honda my next buy will be my 1st non Honda purchase since 1990!
What if the next gen Pilot is boxy? Would you still consider a Honda?

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Me, yes, but a model with minimal nanny gadgetry destined to go wrong at some point.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't have my 16 anymore so I'm not retaliating but you guys who like the old boxy one make me laugh. Neither my wife or I would have ever considered owning that version based on styling alone. It's just unappealing on any level aesthetically.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Not even a Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid, or a Lexus LC 500h or an Acura NSX?
Nope, nope and Honda made me weep when I heard the NSX was going to be a hybrid. The beauty of the original was its simplicity, reliability and superior dynamics due to things like chassis and suspension design.

You're not the first or the last to say that. My wife loves the '15 so it's going nowhere for a long time.

I loathe 16+ Pilot look. When my '13 gives up the ghost, I will see whats there. Might go with Chevy Tahoe or even Lincoln Navigator.
Dig deep into that wallet! I can't believe how expensive the Tahoe is now, the Nav starts another $25-$30k above it!

I don't have my 16 anymore so I'm not retaliating but you guys who like the old boxy one make me laugh. Neither my wife or I would have ever considered owning that version based on styling alone. It's just unappealing on any level aesthetically.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
That is certainly an opinion to have. Many on here detest the look of the 3rd gen Pilot. I think the refresh helped the 3rd gen a lot but my wife loves the look of her 2nd gen and as long as she's happy I'm happy.

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
Every time the wife sees a 3rd generation Pilot, especially in black she comments on how it looks like a hearse. To me it actually reminds me of the Pacifica that Chrysler introduced in 2004.

61 - 80 of 211 Posts