Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If the next pilot has 360, pano and brake hold I'd consider it BUT don't necessarily trust the transmission if it's going to be the 10 speed. Yes it'll be their in house transmission (which honda is not known to be good at) but 10 gears, by the time I drive to the stop sign it'll have shifted so many times, I can just imagine the wear and tear on these higher geared transmission in the long run.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
794 Posts
If the next pilot has 360, pano and brake hold I'd consider it BUT don't necessarily trust the transmission if it's going to be the 10 speed. Yes it'll be their in house transmission (which honda is not known to be good at) but 10 gears, by the time I drive to the stop sign it'll have shifted so many times, I can just imagine the wear and tear on these higher geared transmission in the long run.
Considering the 10 speed transmission is a 2WD transmission only, I doubt that it will be in the offering for the Pilot, and if by chance it is, I doubt that many will buy it. The 9 speed ZF transmission, (the people that build transmission Acura, Chrysler, Fiat, Honda, Jeep, Ram Trucks, Land Rover and Jaguar for some of their vehicles) was improved quite a bit for the 2019 models, addressing the issues of the 2017/2018 builds, both in hard ware design and software. There have been other improvements for the 2020 versions.

The biggest wear and tear on a transmission isn't shifting, rather it is the driver.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Considering the 10 speed transmission is a 2WD transmission only, I doubt that it will be in the offering for the Pilot, and if by chance it is, I doubt that many will buy it. The 9 speed ZF transmission, (the people that build transmission Acura, Chrysler, Fiat, Honda, Jeep, Ram Trucks, Land Rover and Jaguar for some of their vehicles) was improved quite a bit for the 2019 models, addressing the issues of the 2017/2018 builds, both in hard ware design and software. There have been other improvements for the 2020 versions.

The biggest wear and tear on a transmission isn't shifting, rather it is the driver.

How can wear and tear be the driver? If I drive to the end of the street and it shifted 5 times and caused unnecessary wear on the clutch packs rather than a lower speed transmission that would hold the gear longer it's not the driver's fault. The biggest wear and tear on the transmission is heat, proven over and over.

As for the improved ZF addressing shift quality, I still don't trust the german zf transmission. Don't care how many people praise about the 8 speed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Already got my next car, went with a Volvo XC90. It wasn't that much more per month and it blows the Honda away in every meaningful aspect I could possibly think of.

We considered the Palisade but my wife hated the interior and felt it all looked like cheap plastic. We liked the Telluride but they were impossible to get and dealers were asking more for the lease than our Volvo. I think we would have bought the Cadillac XT6 over the Volvo but we couldn't get the car the way we wanted it equipped. We were making seating, color and option concessions that made the decision absurd considering the cost. I think the only thing I miss of the Honda was the depressed storage bin in the back.

Overall I am much happier with the vehicle, I'll never look back and I doubt I'll ever buy a Honda again.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Already got my next car, went with a Volvo XC90. It wasn't that much more per month and it blows the Honda away in every meaningful aspect I could possibly think of.

We considered the Palisade but my wife hated the interior and felt it all looked like cheap plastic. We liked the Telluride but they were impossible to get and dealers were asking more for the lease than our Volvo. I think we would have bought the Cadillac XT6 over the Volvo but we couldn't get the car the way we wanted it equipped. We were making seating, color and option concessions that made the decision absurd considering the cost. I think the only thing I miss of the Honda was the depressed storage bin in the back.

Overall I am much happier with the vehicle, I'll never look back and I doubt I'll ever buy a Honda again
Congratulations on the Volvo XC90! We will differ in advantages and disadvantages of Volvo vs Honda but as long as it makes you happy is all that counts.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That works for me.(y)

In the meantime, better reinforce the Impala's x-frame:

Have you been in my browser history? I just watched that video (and commented on it) an hour or so ago. Cool build but theirs was more gone than mine and I don't plan on taking mine nearly as far. Air ride, yes. W motor, yes. 500 hp, no. I'm targeting 300 out of the 348 I have in the barn. But I love the series.

Overall I am much happier with the vehicle, I'll never look back and I doubt I'll ever buy a Honda again.

I like the looks of the XT6 but it's based on the shortened version like the Acadia. If it was longer like the Traverse and Enclave I'd be more interested.

Also, I drove a first gen XC90 for quite a while with the turbo I6. I REALLY enjoyed driving it and outside of the lack of reliability would love to have owned it longer.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

FYI, the 10speed Honda tranny is used in both the 2wd and AWD SH-AWD RDXs. My wife has a 2020 SH-AWD RDX Tech package. I much prefer the 10speed over the ZF9 in mine. Not necessarily in shift quality but in probable reliability. I've already had mine replaced and then had to have the AT Computer swapped out a few months later the initial tranny swap. It went out on me after a rainstorm. No rhyme or reason why but a fluke they said. Pilot would not go into park so I had to get a flatbed to rescue me. Luckily it happened while I was in a parking lot and was able to get into a spot. But yeah, the 10speed seems to manage the power well and keep the car in the powerband longer. I like it and expect it to be in all their vehicles next gen. Let's hope they did a good job with them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
FYI, the 10speed Honda tranny is used in both the 2wd and AWD SH-AWD RDXs. My wife has a 2020 SH-AWD RDX Tech package. I much prefer the 10speed over the ZF9 in mine. Not necessarily in shift quality but in probable reliability. I've already had mine replaced and had to the. Have the AT Computer swapped out a few months later the initial tranny swap. It went out on my after a rainstrom. Pilot would not into park so I had to get a flatbed to rescue me. Luckily it happened while I was in a parking lot and was able to get into a spot. Bit yeah, the 10speed seems to manage the power well and keep the car in the powerband longer. I like it and expect it to be in all their vehicles next gen. Let's hope they did a good job with them.

How's the shift quality on the 10 speed? Do you notice any clunks, rough/harsh shifts like the 9speed dog clutches?

I assume that most car companies are going towards higher gears for mpg purposes but I'm still skeptical on reliability, like the honda 6 speed was great, then this 9 speed which shows it's fault and now to add another gear.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How's the shift quality on the 10 speed? Do you notice any clunks, rough/harsh shifts like the 9speed dog clutches?

I assume that most car companies are going towards higher gears for mpg purposes but I'm still skeptical on reliability, like the honda 6 speed was great, then this 9 speed which shows it's fault and now to add another gear.
The 10speed is awesome. Zero jerkiness, usually knows what gear to be in and shifts down relatively quickly when I need power from the 2.0T engine. Really really fun in sport mode..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Which version of the XC90 did you get and what was the sticker price?
I got the base T5, no need for anything more imo. Only options we wanted were heated rear seats. It happened to come with navigation and bigger wheels so it stickered for 56k. Lease was sign and drive, $598/mn 12k mi per year.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Congratulations on the Volvo XC90! We will differ in advantages and disadvantages of Volvo vs Honda but as long as it makes you happy is all that counts.
The only advantage of the Honda is resale and a lower price point to my eye. It offers nothing that puts it ahead when price is taken out but I'm open to input.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like the looks of the XT6 but it's based on the shortened version like the Acadia. If it was longer like the Traverse and Enclave I'd be more interested.

Also, I drove a first gen XC90 for quite a while with the turbo I6. I REALLY enjoyed driving it and outside of the lack of reliability would love to have owned it longer.
Agree, if it came with a bench second row I would have bought the Enclave. Traverse was nice but you couldn't get anything nice with a bench, options layout sucked.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
794 Posts
How can wear and tear be the driver? If I drive to the end of the street and it shifted 5 times and caused unnecessary wear on the clutch packs rather than a lower speed transmission that would hold the gear longer it's not the driver's fault. The biggest wear and tear on the transmission is heat, proven over and over.

As for the improved ZF addressing shift quality, I still don't trust the german zf transmission. Don't care how many people praise about the 8 speed.
Peoples driving habits are one huge determent to a vehicles. I've owned and driven dozens of vehicles over my 50 years of driving, manual and automatic, not counting the various pieces of farm machinery I have driven. NEVER had one transmission issue. Regularly got 70K + on manual clutches.

I understand that the word Stop means the cessation of motion. Slow California roll in reverse while shifting to drive is a killer. Constant jack rabbit starts, towing loads with vehicles not designed to actually tow such a load. Lack of proper maintenance of the transmission. All things that decrease transmission life.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I understand that the word Stop means the cessation of motion. Slow California roll in reverse while shifting to drive is a killer.
But then you can't do Rockford Files J-turns on your automatic transmission to impress the ladies.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts