Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market of getting a camper trailer and was not sure what size I could run with the 2015 pilot.. Also have a 2011 suburban but I kinda want to use the pilot.
Have the factory towing package like it's gonna make any real difference ... any advice would be awesome or pics of pilots pulling something nice...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Check your owner's manual!

Generally for the 2nd gens is 4500 max bumper pull with 450lbs tongue weight.

So not much.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah That's what I was looking at in the manual even says nothing if we install a brake controller but it's safe to assume that I'm using my Burban since it has a towing cap of 8k lbs or so

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Yea the Burb is a far superior tow vehicle... pretty sure your LTZ has the load leveling air suspension, long wheelbase is great for towing, solid axle is far more reliable, etc. The Pilot's rear is a little stiffer than our Traverse but it's still pretty soft when the tongue weight gets on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2006 Trailmanor 3023 (hard sided pop up) I pull with my 2013 Pilot Touring. It’s max weight is 5000# but on the scales mine loads out at 3800# with all our gear. I do not fill the fresh water tank but find it hard to imagine another 1200# of stuff packed in there.

Tows just fine, but you do know it is back there. I use a Curt weight distribution hitch to level things out as the Pilot’s rear end is a bit soft.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those damn Smart cars out beat our Pilots! LOL

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 Trailmanor 3023 (hard sided pop up) I pull with my 2013 Pilot Touring. It’s max weight is 5000# but on the scales mine loads out at 3800# with all our gear. I do not fill the fresh water tank but find it hard to imagine another 1200# of stuff packed in there.

Tows just fine, but you do know it is back there. I use a Curt weight distribution hitch to level things out as the Pilot’s rear end is a bit soft.
My 2006 manual states that you shouldn't use weight distribution hitches. Has that changed? I am in the market for a 2015 Pilot so am trying to determine what will be needed.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
My advice would be not to tow much more than a utility trailer or a pop up if you value your investment and want to have many trouble free miles in your Pilot. Honda transmissions just can't handle much for long term, regardless what the book says you can hook on to it.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Plan on changing the ATF, Transfer Case and Rear Diff fluids on the severe service interval if you are towing 4000+.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2006 manual states that you shouldn't use weight distribution hitches. Has that changed? I am in the market for a 2015 Pilot so am trying to determine what will be needed.
I don’t have the manual in front of me but is says something like not recommended as an improperly adjusted wdh can pose a hazard. So if it it is properly adjusted then????

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't forget to check your tires for their maximum weight rating (car + passengers + items + trailer tongue weight).

The last thing you want, is a 'blow-out' while towing at freeway speeds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts