Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 EX

I've noticed 3 times that when I drive through deep enough water - about 6 inches the last 2 times - my car acts funny. My gauge clister dims and steering wheel gets stiff and my car seems like it wants to turn off. I don't have a splash guard underneath, bought it like that. I don't know whats happening here. Is water splashing up under my hood or something?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,092 Posts
Simple answerer. Yes. Don't drive through water, if you have to creep through water at 4-5 mph. Engines are not sealed and you can suck water into the engine. Big repair bill if you hydrolock the engine. Wiring gets wet. When water infiltrates connections the electricity does not follow the paths it is intended to. Wet brakes don't stop as efficiently.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Also perhaps a good incentive to test and verify your alternator and cables.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Also perhaps a good incentive to test and verify your alternator and cables.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Also maybe your serpentine belt is old / loose / slipping. Has it ever been replaced, as far as you know?

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
A lot of folks replace it as the same time as the timing belt service. If a buddy told you it was loose, better earlier than later, though, especially since you may have already experienced some symptoms. Check and replace the tensioner if necessary, too.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I've had that on some cars, I lost power steering and the alternator for a couple seconds because the belt got wet and slipped. Never caused any issues but I just tried to go as slow as I could through the puddles.

Reactions: Mikerophonemike

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,298 Posts
Also maybe your serpentine belt is old / loose / slipping. Has it ever been replaced, as far as you know?
This is most likely the correct diagnosis. It also gives indication of a failing or weak battery and the engine is relying on the alternator. It may be time to replace the serpentine belt tensioner too.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
So getting a splash guard for underneath would help some..?
Splash guard is probably not going to correct the ongoing problem. I'm thinking something electrical is being affected when wet so in addition to what has been mentioned (battery/alt) look at al electrical connections including major ground connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.