Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Standard dealer timing belt job is timing belt, water pump, and coolant. Add-ons appear to be tensioner, cam seals, and serpentine belt. I could see the thermostat and hoses being suggested to change during a radiator replacement,

And the lower radiator hose should be cooler than the upper after and extended drive since the radiator is removing heat from the coolant.
Yes, lower hose is much cooler as I just did find out this morning! Huh? I'm surprised tensioner doesn't come with
TB replacement! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just called the dealer this morning. They replaced my TB in 2011 (at 97k miles/6 years). Their computer would not show the record as far back but they told me that their recommended TB replacement service includes tensioner, water pump, drive belts and coolant for $1,100 (still). Thermostat is extra $200 (they did not recommend this to me in 2011). I think that they feel the cost is too much already for a lot of their customers (and mostly balk at the "unnecessary/extra work/cost") that they do not recommend to add thermostat (just my guess) unless the customer asks for it. This is understandable since thermostats hardly become an issue (?). BTW, anyone knows how to reset driver's side auto window up/down?Thanks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The thermostat can be replaced w/o doing the TB. It is on the transmission side of the engine.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Watch youtube - a picture is worth a 1000 words.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In case I find myself needing a thermostat, what's the best thermostat for my Pilot? I called the dealer and they quoted me for $105. Amazon has Aisin brand for $17 plus $4 for gasket. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
With that much of a difference in price, go for the Aisin. Resistance to Amazon is futile.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In the order of preference I would go for Aisin, Denso, or Gates.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Anyone here replaced his thermostat without draining the coolant? The youtube video did not suggest to drain the radiator! They just let the coolant splash out when they pulled the hose that houses the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The thermostat is on the lower hose, so you do have to drain. Or you can splash antifreeze all over the engine and tranny and later start looking for the reasons why you are experiencing all sorts of failures. Of course you can pinch the hose but I would not do that to a hose as old as ours.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Even after I fully drained the radiator at least a quart of coolant came gushing out when I pulled the thermostat. Be prepared for that. I wasn’t.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The thermostat is on the lower hose, so you do have to drain. Or you can splash antifreeze all over the engine and tranny and later start looking for the reasons why you are experiencing all sorts of failures. Of course you can pinch the hose but I would not do that to a hose as old as ours.
I agree. Will drain the coolant. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Even after I fully drained the radiator at least a quart of coolant came gushing out when I pulled the thermostat. Be prepared for that. I wasn’t.
So, still a quart spilled? Hmm, did it splash eveywhere? Any problem with the engine and other parts getting wet? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Even after I fully drained the radiator at least a quart of coolant came gushing out when I pulled the thermostat.
Of course! It was doing its job being closed. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the block for this work but most DIYers and mechanics do not use it. One trick is to leave the heater on maximum heat before turning off the engine. Then when you open the drain plug on the block, almost 100% of the coolant would come out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Of course! It was doing its job being closed. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the block for this work but most DIYers and mechanics do not use it. One trick is to leave the heater on maximum heat before turning off the engine. Then when you open the drain plug on the block, almost 100% of the coolant would come out.
Aha! Of course, it follows, right? As coolant heats up, the lower hose (thermostat) opens to prevent overheating by directing the coolant to radiator!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
No issues with coolant spilling over the top of the tranny. I did rinse it off with a slow stream of water after I completed the job.

I guess next time I’ll try the engine block drain ports. I was paranoid I wouldn’t be able to tighten them back up correctly and they would leak. Or that I would break one off and be really screwed.

What is the direction of coolant flow? I would guess engine to top hose to radiator to bottom hose to thermostat back to engine block. That would support the lower hose being cooler than upper hose after a long drive.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts