Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What're Those ENGINE sounds? (EDITED)

I've noticed a few noises that happen every time I turn off my engine. They're hard to describe, but there's some popping and some other things, but I can say that I've never heard sounds like this when turning off the engine of any other car I've driven. I was thinking that maybe it's something normal and unique to the type of engine in the Pilot, but I don't know.

Do any of you guys have any idea as to what I'm talking about? I'll have to listen more closely the next time and then I'll come back and edit this post with a better description of the sounds (if I can). It's something I'll definitely have checked out when I go in for my first oil change.

[NEW NOTES] Ok, it appears that the sounds are coming from under the DASH area, but I'm still not any closer to describing them. I just need for someone to listen carefully to their own Pilot. I might also note that I'm still running my A/C here so the sounds could be associated with that once the engine is off. (I realize that many of you are in colder areas and aren't running yours.)

·
Registered
620 Posts
It may be the catalytic converter. There are little beans inside that, when hot, pop like popcorn. Not positive, but maybe???

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
It may be the catalytic converter. There are little beans inside that, when hot, pop like popcorn. Not positive, but maybe???
I've never heard a peep from the exhaust cooling and contracting on the Hondas I've owned. Other vehicles, yes. They pop and ping for 10 minutes or more, but the sound originates under the vehicle, not in the engine area.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Could be. I was thinking about it again just a minute ago and remembered a hum-like noise as well. It's probably something I will just have to have the Service Dept. look at when I go in. But just for grins, listen the next time you cut your engine. Try to do it in a quiet place, like a garage.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
gymeni said:
Could be. I was thinking about it again just a minute ago and remembered a hum-like noise as well. It's probably something I will just have to have the Service Dept. look at when I go in. But just for grins, listen the next time you cut your engine. Try to do it in a quiet place, like a garage.
Are you turning the key all the way off? If you're cutting the engine off, but leave the key in the accessory position, the electrical fan cooling the radiator will keep running.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jay said:
Are you turning the key all the way off? If you're cutting the engine off, but leave the key in the accessory position, the electrical fan cooling the radiator will keep running.
Oh, yeah, I'm turning it all the way off for sure!

·
Registered
620 Posts
gymeni said:
I'll listen when I get home tonight...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts