Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we are, "abusing" our trusty steed. I got out of the vehicle and walked. I was scared and I didn't like to hear the thunks underneath. (I am a sissy and very protective of the Pilot)

I must say the Pilot did EVERYTHING we asked of her. She was VERY IMPRESSIVE.

This was last weekend in Gardner Canyon, AZ.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was the worst part of the trail. We thought, no problem, this trail is rated "moderate" for AWD vehicles. It turns out the rating was for all terrain bikes!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This later part of the trail was easy compared to earlier parts. Still, I was so shaken,and a little disturbed that we hadn't a clue what was trail and what wasn't, and so protective of the Pilot and her precious cargo that I moved small boulders out of the way - that I ended up hiking. Our 5yo was screaming that she, too, wanted out of the car!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here we are speeding out of this ghastly mess we'd gotten ourselves into.

Does this count as off-roading :confused:

If so, we can say we've done it! NEVER AGAIN !!!!!!!:1pat:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great pictures

I envy you! Whenever my Jeep co-worker ask me "when will you put your car on off-road". I always say "in the next six month".

:2:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would do it slow with my pilot. But from the picture that route would be no brainer for my ex-passport.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please no one call the ASPCP - the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Pilots! :13: The PPS - the Pilot Protection Society. :13: Really, she has a good home with us! Honest, we didn't hurt her! We didn't think it was going to be so bad! She actually enjoyed it... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anyone asked: You weren't scared, you were spotting for the driver!

For an AWD vehicle, that is off-roading. I'm impressed with the ground clearence of the Pilot. If you take it slow, you'll be fine. It's only rough on the equipment if you go too fast or high center.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
timchen said:
I would do it slow with my pilot. But from the picture that route would be no brainer for my ex-passport.
What can I tell you? We're wimps! ;)
We did it REAL SLOW...
So, your ex-Passport was a reliable off-road steed? What kind of trails did you take it on?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
azfansinnc said:
If anyone asked: You weren't scared, you were spotting for the driver!
Yeah, sure. My quaking :eek: would have given me away! :2: But I'll remember that for next time! Oh, yeah, there WON"T BE A NEXT TIME!!! :( I actually was feebly trying to direct this green creature bearing down on me!

For an AWD vehicle, that is off-roading. I'm impressed with the ground clearence of the Pilot. If you take it slow, you'll be fine. It's only rough on the equipment if you go too fast or high center.
What's "high center" ???:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
2GREENCARS said:

What's "high center" ???:confused:
High center is when your Pilot hits one of those rocks with something besides the tire.:3:

Strictly speaking, in four-wheeling terms it means getting the center of the vehicle body caught on something that prevents the vehicle from moving because the tires can't get traction. Picture your Pilot as a teeter-totter with the front on one side and the back on the other of the center point. :eek:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
wow...looks like you captured land rover type territory in the pilot:2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
azfansinnc said:

High center is when your Pilot hits one of those rocks with something besides the tire.:3:

Strictly speaking, in four-wheeling terms it means getting the center of the vehicle body caught on something that prevents the vehicle from moving because the tires can't get traction. Picture your Pilot as a teeter-totter with the front on one side and the back on the other of the center point. :eek:
Ah, yes. It's accompanied by a lovely sound, no?:eek: Hi centering didn't prevent the Pilot from moving, though...

BTW - how solid is the undercarriage? What would it take to puncture something? (this question kept going through my mind as I heard THE SOUND...)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
2GREENCARS said:
I thought my other 1/2 was courageous for suggesting this trail. Now I'm not sure - foolhardy comes to mind. Then again, I wasn't driving! :2:
You GO, Mrs. 2GREENCARS!! :18: :2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
You did the right thing in not going any further. If you're not enjoying it, what's the point? Having said that, I've seen much less capable vehicles on similar trails out here. We haven't had our Pilot off-road yet, but now that the heat has arrived I'm sure we'll be off to the high mountains for a few camping trips that will result in the Pilot being driven on similar trails as the one you experienced. This all makes me realize that I don't even know if the Pilot has a skid plate. My Montero does, and has provided me with a great deal of comfort while driving over such trails. In closing, there's no shame in driving the Pilot to the trailhead and hiking from there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
2Greencars-

Wow, pretty impressive. The Pilot certainly has the traction for that kind of fun, but unfortunately, it isn't really protected very well underneath. In a vehicle with skid plates underneath, those sounds you heard aren't a big deal, but the Pilot is a little more delicate.

I've tried a few trails like that and avoiding/moving those rocks is about all you can do to protect the underside. Now that your adventure is over, I'd recommend getting a flashlight and looking over the bottom side of your Pilot. Make sure you don't see any oil/gas leaks or anything hanging down. I had one of my rear brake lines snagged by a rock and pulled it down. It didn't break, just bent a bracket.

Now, if I can find some after-market skid plates like I had for my CR-V, those rocks wouldn't hurt as bad.

-Pete

·
Registered
429 Posts
I took my old Rodeo on similar trails and some much worse!:eek: And despite its lack of refinement and general cheesieness it was a very capable off-road vehicle. Of course it was a full frame vehicle with real axles and a truck style 4wd system and tons of skid plates. The Pilot has only 2 skid plates that I can see. 1 for part of the gas tank and 1 for the the awd unit. Here let me show you: :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts