Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was just reading through this tread and the thing that most caught my attention was all this talk about car payments. No offense but if you can't pay cash for a new vehicle, don't buy it. Just save up the cash and then buy it. It's kind of like taking out a 30 year mortgage on a house, geez, 10 years, 15 years, okay, but a 30 year mortgage. If you can't afford to use a 15 year max mortgage, buy a smaller house. Live within your means folks.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,036 Posts
I was just reading through this tread and the thing that most caught my attention was all this talk about car payments. No offense but if you can't pay cash for a new vehicle, don't buy it. Just save up the cash and then buy it. It's kind of like taking out a 30 year mortgage on a house, geez, 10 years, 15 years, okay, but a 30 year mortgage. If you can't afford to use a 15 year max mortgage, buy a smaller house. Live within your means folks.
I've got a 30 year mortgage that will be paid off within the next 5 years, which would be about 8 1/2 years early. (No early payoff penalty) I checked, and refinancing to get a lower interest rate would actually cost me more than continuing as I have. Wife has gone through two boughts of cancer, and those medical bills ( $100K+ after insurance) would have paid off the house more than 5 years ago.
When we got two new vehicles in 1999, and 2000 the vehicles cost roughly half of what a roughly equivalent vehicle costs today. Being retired and on a fixed income I simply can't see paying that much for transportation, along with the higher insurance rates. Also prefer having a vehicle that doesn't have touch screen controls, those damned things don't see me.
We're living within our budget.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Someone likes the Dave Ramsey school of money... we do this for as much as we can but sometimes life just doesn't work that way and fit into that vision of spending. I don't mind the longer mortgage and the longer car loans (provided the rates aren't insane) - they give me the flexibility to pay more when things are good and to make the minimum payment when things are tight.

Sure, if I ever have an excess of money I'd love to walk into a dealer with a suitcase of cash. My grandfather did it once and it wowed me as a kid. But it took him until he was in his 50's to be able to do it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We still have our 2005 Pilot. Only 145k miles. Mostly maintained by me. In tip top shape (after some major repairs—a/c, brakes, starter, radiator in the past five years. We are retired and mid 60s. We drive a lot to visit our kids out of state. For us, it’s a matter of safety. A 17 year old vehicle just doesn’t inspire confidence when long driving—a matter of insurance, I guess. So we bought a new SUV (bigger is safer) last summer. Our pilot is our back up vehicle and mainly used for short trips/errands now. Will do no more major maintenance or repairs because we cannot afford them anymore. Fixed income we are! Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 EX
690 Posts
. A 17 year old vehicle just doesn’t inspire confidence when long driving
My opinion is I don't know why it wouldn't? Especially if you've maintained it. I drove my 93 Stealth from New York to Virginia, 700 miles. Drove my Acura CL from South Carolina to New York, and to Virginia a few times. And I've gotten stuck at a rest stop in a car three years old. Luckily it was an easy fix, but never should have happened. I guess my point is, if I maintain a vehicle, I keep it to where I would trust my grand daughter to take it anywhere, and I'm confident that it would. My Pilot has 292k miles, and my MDX has 282k. I would drive them anywhere.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,036 Posts
We still have our 2005 Pilot. Only 145k miles. Mostly maintained by me. In tip top shape (after some major repairs—a/c, brakes, starter, radiator in the past five years. We are retired and mid 60s. We drive a lot to visit our kids out of state. For us, it’s a matter of safety. A 17 year old vehicle just doesn’t inspire confidence when long driving—a matter of insurance, I guess. So we bought a new SUV (bigger is safer) last summer. Our pilot is our back up vehicle and mainly used for short trips/errands now. Will do no more major maintenance or repairs because we cannot afford them anymore. Fixed income we are! Thanks.
Ours has 276K+ miles on it, and I wouldn't hesitate taking it on a long trip. If you saw the Jeep it replaced (That only had half that milage) the rear unibody frame rail had rusted to the point the front mount of the drivers side leaf spring was ready to come through the floor. We're also retired mid 60's, fixed income, and simply couldn't see paying car payments and the higher (full coverage) insurance rates. We've taken 3 500+ mile trips without any problems. I figure not to bad for a vehicle that I paid $1800.00 for, and now have about $3,000.00 total into after doing needed mechanical, and cosmetic repairs.

I know a few people with much newer vehicles that wish they had kept their old one. One former Co-worker has a 2021 Ram truck that they have had to replace the ($1400.00) instrument panel in for the forth time. He's ready to file a "Lemon Law" claim against it so he's not stuck paying for it when the warranty expires. He says the dealer has had it for more time than he has.

Another has a 2019 Buick SUV that has a P0306 (Cylinder 6 misfire) that the dealer hasn't been able to figure out. So far they've replaced coils, spark plugs, timing chain, and gears, crank, & cam position sensors, one camshaft, ECM, and engine wiring harness. The dealer even brought in techs from GM and it still has the problem.

So for me, a $2K repair makes more sense than throwing the dice hoping we don't get something with problems like those two cases. With all of the posted recalls I've seen the past couple of years, I'm simply not willing to chance it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts