Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2004 pilot EXL has about 174k miles and definitely is showing signs of the rusted subframe issue but the bolt has not disconnected itself yet from the subframe. I cut out the rusted area and cleaned off what I could with a wire brush wheel the inside part where the bolt is and applied several coats of Eastwood rust encapsulator. Hoping that it stops the rust from going any further and I could just monitor it going forward. Other than that, the truck runs great and has zero issues. Would you keep putting money into it to keep up with maintenance? For example, I've never replaced the thermostat and the vehicle is 18 years old. Have never had any coolant or overheating issues. Its also been about 5 years since my last coolant drain and refill. Would you even bother changing it? Or should i just keep up with oil changes until it finally does break and call it a day? I'm attaching a pic of the subframe.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends upon how much you like the vehicle.
Myself I'd do it, I prefer not to take out a mortgage for another vehicle.
But then I do my own repair work other than windsheilds, and rebuilding transmissions.
Getting too old for doing the big windsheilds, and not going to invest in the specialized tools for rebuilding transmissions.

$800.00 for the parts, and if the labor was another $800.00 would be 3-4 car payments now days. Also figure in the cost of full coverage insurance if you have to get a loan.
Where do you draw the line though? $1600-$2300 for this repair then what if the transmission goes? or something else? Then you will feel like, well i just spent 2k$ for the subframe repair, i can't not spend another $2k on it....and so forth. Don't get me wrong, this is my wife's daily driver and she loves it but there has to be a line drawn somewhere financially. If the car was only like 10 years old, then yeah I would definitely fix it. I'm the only owner and have never brought this to the dealer for anything. Have done all the maintenance on this myself mostly including the timing belt twice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It all depends on how much you love your Pilot and whether you can afford to replace it with something else. I love my 04 Pilot and have just recently did a head gasket replacement, timing belt change, the subframe welding repair, and have about $400 dollars worth of suspension recently replaced, with a handful of other mods and have new tires planned. I've only got 266K on mine so it's got plenty of life left.
You just need to decide it if financially makes sense or if you love the car or enjoy tinkering with it to justify sinking more money into it.
Where did you get the subframe repair done and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? If I could find someone in the Chicago area to do this for $300-$500 I would probably do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to stick with it as long as it keeps going with minimal maintenance. I'm confident in the actions I've taken for the subframe that the rusting will stop where its at. I've treated the inside of the cross member area as well and its actually still pretty solid. The other side by the muffler is not affected at all as well. I'll probably just do a drain and refill on the coolant and skip the thermostat unless i have an issue. Given that i also recently spent money on new shocks and struts (DIY as well) and newer tires, it still has a long way to go. Also fixed a issue that was plaguing me for a few years now with it having trouble starting, ended up swapping out the main relay and that solved it. Thanks all for you input and good advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts