Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished front end work on my '03. Earlier this year I replaced a torn center console cover on my '12. I need to replace the driver's arm rest in the '12, and will as soon as I find the time to take the panel off the door. When the weather warms up in a few months I'll likely do front end work on the '12

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Pictures encouraged

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts

If you can't beam 'em, join 'em.

My Fahren LED low beams and high beams just came in. As a longtime halogen holdout, especially in the early years of crappy LED light dispersal and cutoff, I'm beginning to be swayed, thanks to some members of this forum, to the notion that LEDs have come into their own, and I'm willing to give them a shot.

I'm thinking of installing them as soon as two things can happen: 1) that the mercury on my outdoor thermometer leaves its present position of -11 C and warms up to just below the freezing point, and 2), that I can do my install as demonstrated, accompanied by this Eurotrash motivational music:

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I'm still planning to install sound deadening material in the fender wells. Then possibly the doors.
Honda cheaped out and gave us thin plastic wheel well liners on 3rd gens.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
330 Posts
I plan on steam cleaning the seats, in hopes of getting the smell out. Ozone generator didn't do it, but I only did one session. Fingers crossed. Also going to vacuum out the screen for the rear blower.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on steam cleaning the seats, in hopes of getting the smell out. Ozone generator didn't do it, but I only did one session. Fingers crossed. Also going to vacuum out the screen for the rear blower.

What smell? And cloth or leather? My '03 has had 2 mice and rat die in it. I got the smell out each time with a combination of a few sessions of ozone generator, changing the cabin filter (and spraying febreeze in before installing the new filter, and leaving the windows open for 3 days - that last one was a mistake. I was lucky it didn't rain. :)

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
330 Posts
It's cloth. The sunroof drain was not going outside, so there was that. Also, I took the seats out to scrub them, and they turned green from what I assume is mold growing on them. Scrubbed them again and let them dry, and then put them back in. However, just the humidity caused them to start stinking again. I want to try to clean them again with Tide and the power washer this spring, hopefully that works.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
This year is all routine maintenance stuff... next year I'm at the appropriate age for a timing belt job, so I'll be spending a lot of time watching videos and reading how to's for that.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EX.
12 Posts
When the weather is a little nicer in few months it will be time for the timing belt and associated parts to be replaced. Currently gathering parts and tools. This site has been a huge help in knowing what to have.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
I'd say it was time for the rear blower vacuum. I forgot to take after shots, these are the before.

Ooo, with your permission I'll be adding those graphic closeup pics to my friendly admonition gallery for folks who have never vacuumed their rear blower, often leading to a burned out rear blower thermistor and the resulting no second row heat from the back of the center console. Can't rightly blame them, though, as Honda's Owner's Manual is mum on the issue.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your gears"

·
Registered
695 Posts
Where are these things? My rear heat/AC gave up long ago so I have to wonder if maybe these things are a contributing factor. Thanks..
All the rear climate control stuff is in that console between the front seats - under the storage cubbies. You kinda need to take the front seats out to get proper access.

Oh, and it is not exactly 'planned' since I have already just done it... the factory camera on my '13 has given up the ghost. And since I got an Alpine audio head, I figured I will go with an Alpine camera, HCE-C1100. I suspect OEM camera is also supplied by Alpine. Cause the factory camera bracket fit HCE-C1100 perfectly - down to aligned screw holes and a diamond-shaped cutout for the wire. And the length of wire on the camera itself was only about an inch longer than factory - so when I re-assembled the harness, there was no slack left. Another pleasant surprise was the included cable. Routed from the head unit in the dash, down to floor, along the door sills, over the sub and up the rear pillar, through rubber channel into the tailgate and along other harnesses over to camera connector, there was only about 6 inches left. Either way, new camera is definitely an upgrade over the OEM. Crisper, and much wider field of view as well.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Where are these things? My rear heat/AC gave up long ago so I have to wonder if maybe these things are a contributing factor. Thanks..
These illustrations should help.

Berfore:

Remove the driver's side panel under the center console between the driver's seat and the gas pedal by grabbing it near the gas pedal and pulling it out as you work your way back toward the driver's seat. It's just clips and they will pop out.

However, it might very well be your rear blower thermistor (aka thermal resistor aka transistor). :)

Rear Blower Motor Transistor Resistor for Honda Pilot | eBay

Thermistor installation tips:
  1. Remove wiring harness connector.
  2. Depress little black metal tab just outside housing and rotate old thermistor clockwise so notches align and it pulls straight out easily.
  3. Install new thermistor by sliding in and rotating counterclockwise so notches no longer line up.
  4. Rebend little black metal tab to hold thermistor in place if necessary. It should snap into place.
  5. Reconnect wiring harness.
  6. Test. If it works you've just saved hundreds of dollars.

After:

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Kind of like the Pilot's rear heater, if it gets too clogged it overheats and blows your thermistor. Check out the top review here from a usual suspect to learn more. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts