Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you happen to know what type of speakers are in the Pilot? I want to replace the door speakers as no matter how I adjust the settings, it still sounds muffled and foggy. However, since I know practically nothing about stereo equipment, I worry that if I walk into a stereo shop and tell them I want better but inexpensive speakers, they might sell me junk that is similar to what I have in there now.

So I know from reading the posts that I should just ask for good 2-way or 3-way speakers, but should I go with a certain brand or model that is good quality but not super expensive? Is there one you'd all recommend?

Also, if it comes down to having to replace the head unit, is there one that fits in that space, will match the dash area and work great?

My main goal is to improve the FM stereo reception, which I hope can be done by installing an external antenna, but then I'd also like to improve the sound, hopefully by installing better quality speakers. I hope that I don't have to go further and install a new head unit in order to get better reception/sound quality because I'm sure I couldn't get anything that would match the factory head unit in terms of looks.

I know from reading the Oddysey board that the head unit is manufactured by Panasonic, and the speakers, by Pioneer. Is that the same stereo system/speakers as in the Pilot?

As I posted previously, I complained to the customer service manager for Honda about the poor reception issue to see if there was a stereo upgrade available or if they could install an external antenna. They had me drive another Pilot, but the problem was the same. They now are supposedly driving an Oddysey in the area I drive to see if the reception problem is the same (since the Oddysey has an external antenna), so I assume that the stereo head unit may be the same in the Oddysey as in the Pilot and that way they can determine if the problem is with the head unit or with the window antenna. I will let you all know the outcome.

In the meantime, I'd really appreciate any thoughts or opinions any of you have on these issues as I don't think Honda will actually do anything for me to rectify the problem. I think their customer service sucks!!! They basically told me, "We stand behind our vehicles as is," apparently even if something is lousy and doesn't perform adequately!

Thanks,

DeniseT

·
Registered
991 Posts
I believe the speakers are Alpine. I wonder if changing the speakers would solve the problem, or putting a outside antenna would be better..

·
Registered
18 Posts
check www.acuramdx.org

DeniseT,

this topic has been discussed in detail at www.acuramdx.org.

do a search and you will find alot of relevant information from upgrading speakers to head units.

good luck,

chris

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you've searched the Audio & Electronics forum, you've probably already seen this thread, but from Benie's pictures you can see that the rear door speakers are basic, "full range" 6 1/2 inch speakers made by Alpine (probably not the same quality you'd get after-market).

The front door speakers are the same, but I couldn't find the thread describing the dash speakers. The dash speakers are probably not full range, but I'm betting the cross-over is in the amplifier. Haven't seen any posts to confirm this though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What crossover??

tim.s said:
The dash speakers are probably not full range, but I'm betting the cross-over is in the amplifier.
According to the ETM, the dash tweeters are wired in parallel to the front door speakers, so they get a full-range signal that they cannot reproduce. It would not surprise me if the rear woofer also gets a full-range signal.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: What crossover??

hop23 said:
According to the ETM, the dash tweeters are wired in parallel to the front door speakers, so they get a full-range signal that they cannot reproduce. It would not surprise me if the rear woofer also gets a full-range signal.
Hmmm, if they are parallel, then are the front door speakers and dash speaker only 2 ohm?:1zhelp:

In that case, it would probably be best to replace the dash speakers too with a component set (woofer, tweeter, cross-over set). Or if you can live without them, have the dash speakers disconnected and use a co-axial speaker in the doors.
I don't think you want 4 ohm door speakers in parallel with 2 ohm dash speakers.

I'd probably go with component speakers and replace the ones in the dash, that way you'd retain the front staging.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd guess the stock tweeters are 4ohms, so putting them in parallel presents 2ohms to the head unit.

Component speakers would be great, especially if the tweeter can fit in the dash and you can position the crossovers properly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The tweeters in the dash would not need a crossover, just a capacitor protecting them from the low frequency signal. They would quickly burn out their voice coils at high volume without at least that. The value of the capacitor would determine the frequency cut-off and the capacitor could be in the tweeter assembly (I've not had one out). A full range signal could be sent to the door speakers and the woofer, though it would be good if the woofer had a coil in it's circuit to cut the highs. Anyway, the tweeters are wired in parallel, which does halve the ohms seen by the head unit.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Oh, duh, where's my brain today? :rolleyes: 8ohms in parallel (1/8+1/8=1/4) would be 4ohms.

Sure the tweeters can be protected with a highpass capacitor(<-see link) - I did that in school and it works quite well - the stock ones may already be. But when upgrading the door and dash speakers without changing the amp, we still need to know the stock speaker resistance.

If they are summing to a 4 ohm resistance (and not 2ohms) than a nice component speaker set with passive highpass and lowpass crossover would probably be a good replacement and prevent some odd-ball resistance at the amp. Yes, no?

I guess we need someone who has already replaced the front door speakers to post the front speaker resistance. I haven't heard about anybody replacing the dash speakers yet. In the thread I referenced earlier you can see the rear door speakers are labeled 4 ohms in the photo.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The front door and rear door speakers are identical, and are 4ohms. I replaced mine a few months ago, but did not disconnect the tweeters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts