Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know threre are choices out there,but just curious what are the best people use on their Pilots after first oil change.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well I'm taking my Pilot in for its first oil change on Friday....I will probably try Mobil 1. One of dealer service reps told me that the Honda brand oil is actually based on Mobil 1, but I don't know for sure.

I use Quaker State on my Grand Prix and have had no problems with it. The car uses hardly no oil at all during 3000 mile changes....it has been very well broken-in due to heavy highway miles, and so has the Pilot. The Pilot has only required 1/2 quart in 5000+ miles! But since the Honda engine is a little more sophisticated, I will probably have them feed it Mobil 1.

I think anymore pretty much all oils are the same, just like gasoline.
But a lot of people I know use Mobil 1 on their vehicles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been using Castrol on my other car (has 112,000 miles) and will probably use it on the Pilot. So far I only have 1450m on the Pilot so I've got a long ways to go.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What Oil Does Your Dealer Use?

I have been a big fan Valvoline Products for quite some time. My Honda dealer use Castrol oil. What does your Honda dealer use?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
5W-20

The "mom and pop" shop that I use to have all my vehicles oil changed (including the Pilot) uses Castrol Oil. I just had my Pilot done and the guy "Joe" told me that the Pilot uses 5W-20 (I double checked when I got home and that's what the owner's manual says) and he said it was $3.00 more expensive (he added 3 bucks to the total cost of the iol change). Anybody have a similar experience???

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: 5W-20

kemosabe said:
The "mom and pop" shop that I use to have all my vehicles oil changed (including the Pilot) uses Castrol Oil. I just had my Pilot done and the guy "Joe" told me that the Pilot uses 5W-20 (I double checked when I got home and that's what the owner's manual says) and he said it was $3.00 more expensive (he added 3 bucks to the total cost of the iol change). Anybody have a similar experience???
Yes, the quick lube shop where I had my oil change done, also charged me 5 bucks xtra for the oil !!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: 5W-20

kemosabe said:
THe "10-minute" place by my house charges a few bucks more for my 02 Civic, because it uses 5W-20 as well. Not the end of the world, just a bit annoying (to me, anyway). :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you check the adds for places like JiffyLube they state the advertised price is for up to 5 quarts of 10w-30. If you request a different weight oil or a specific brand there is usually an additional charge. I believe some places also charge extra for SUV's .

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
pjb3 is correct with regards to my oil change shop... my Mustang normally costs $24.95 but the Pilot costs and extra $3 because it's an SUV and another $3 because of the oil weight so $30.95 for an oil change. Still, I'd rather let "Joe" do it and not have to muck (pun intended) with it myself...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably

I didn't ask what they put in,but on the receipt it stated "5 M1"- washer and a filter so not sure if it was 20 or 30.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TYPE OF OIL FOR PILOT

Mobil 1 should not be used on the Pilot (unless they have come out with a 5w20 recently). Mobile 1 is my favorite oil and I am not happy that I cannot use it on my Pilot...Hopefully they will make a 5w20 soon....

·
Registered
41 Posts
JMD, I thought I saw on the Mobil 1 Website that they were coming out with 0W20 for use in cars that require 5W20 in March.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: TYPE OF OIL FOR PILOT

jmd said:
Mobil 1 should not be used on the Pilot (unless they have come out with a 5w20 recently). Mobile 1 is my favorite oil and I am not happy that I cannot use it on my Pilot...Hopefully they will make a 5w20 soon....
You wre right,I checked and it was Castrol Oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TYPE OF OIL FOR PILOT

Will Honda recognize 0w20 as an acceptable oil? I would much prefer Mobil 1! However, I do not want to violate my warranty....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mobil should have the Honda spec mentioned in their tech data. Most times it will be printed on the bottle label. Read the owner's manual carefully for oil specs. Motor oil meeting the current API/ILSAC requirement is normally acceptable for use without affecting warranty.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: TYPE OF OIL FOR PILOT

jmd said:
Mobil 5W30 is fine to use in the Pilot (probably better than 5W-20). Honda is not recommending 5W-20 because it's better for the engine. It's purpose is to improve fleet mileage for Honda.

Honda recently went back many years (back to 1995 for some cars) and changed the recommendation to 5W-20. This is strickly to help improve gas mileage, NOT engine longevity.

The synthetic 5W-30 will flow great in the Pilot engine. Mileage just might be lower by 0.5%.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TYPE OF OIL FOR PILOT

IT IS NOT FINE TO USE 5w30 FOR A PILOT...HONDA'S ENGINE ARE TOLERANCES ARE TIGHTER THAN JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER ENGINE MFG. THE BETTER FLOW OF A 5w20 IS REQUIRED FOR HONDA'S.

THE DEALERS AND MFG. ARE NOT IN COLLUSION FOR CAFE MILAGE #'s.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts