Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I am looking at a 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L this weekend to possibly purchase. The vehicle has 149k on the clock and is in good condition, with no mechanical issues. The timing belt and water pump were replaced at 110k miles.

My mom has one of these with 460,000 miles :grin: (yes, four-six-zero) on the original engine and transmission that she still drives daily, so I'm buying for reliability.

Any particular things to look for or ask about for the 2003 EX-L? I've read that there are some trans recalls with certain 2003 model Pilots (obviously not my mom's...) as well as airbag recalls.

The owner is asking $3800 for the Pilot.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
100 Posts
get the VIN and check for outstanding recalls. The only ones i know of are the oil jet for the 2nd gear and the airbag recalls..
Also depending on your location, there could be rust issues with the radiator/transmission cooling lines that could lead to ATF contamination.

At 149k you will have few suspension items to take care of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2003PilotEx-I just asked for the VIN from the owner, and I will run it through the government recall database to see which repairs are needed/the vehicle is eligible for. I'll be sure to check out those cooling lines since the vehicle used to be a New Jersey vehicle, thanks for the info.

xGS-Your question seems a bit off-topic seeing as the original question is about a 2003 model, but yes, I CAN afford to buy a 2006-2008, though I am not currently interested in doing so because I'd rather not spend the extra $$. If you have information as to why it may be worth my while to save up a bit more and look at later models, I'm open to hearing it. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
xGS-Your question seems a bit off-topic seeing as the original question is about a 2003 model, but yes, I CAN afford to buy a 2006-2008, though I am not currently interested in doing so because I'd rather not spend the extra $$. If you have information as to why it may be worth my while to save up a bit more and look at later models, I'm open to hearing it. Thanks for your reply.
In general - and despite your mom's good luck with a 2003 - there have been fewer issues with the 2006-2008 model years versus 2003-2005.
Look at the list of recall for each model year here: Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

2005 Pilots also had an issue with the radiator failing, which allowed the engine coolant and transmission fluid to mix potentially causing severe damage to the transmission.
If considering a 2006-2008 Pilot, get one with 4WD/AWD to avoid the VCM type engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts