Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what to do to our new obsidian blue Pilot? We turned down the super expensive "let us put some stuff on your paint and you'll never ever ever have to wax it". Maybe it's not BS, but sure sounded like it in the sales pitch.

What do you suggest?

We have about 300 miles on now and it has been washed twice so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response karlox.
I'll spend some time on autogeek soon.
In the meantime we waxed it with meguiars gold class.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been using DuraGloss products for a few years with great results.Two brother's started the company and are the Chemists and developers. Their Aquawax and 2-part Polish can be ordered for $ 30-35 shipped and will last many months.I use so much of their Aquawax, that I've started buying it buy the Gallon!As has been posted,Autogeeks can fix ya' up with everything you need, including their great Cobra Microfiber Towels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2 bucket wash -> clay bar -> paint sealant (wolfgang) -> wax

I tend to stay away from polishing as long as my car paint condition is good..

I do this about 2~3 times / a year (usually before and after winter) and do probably 2x/month hand car wash... (I do touchless car wash during the winter) I live in Canada and this really helped to keep my car paint up over the long run...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Agree -

I used Wolfgang paint sealant for the first time and was super pleased w/ ease of application and outcome...didn't bother w/ wax
I did clay after wash but didn't seem to get much addn'l off w/ the clay but Pilot was fairly new

It has lasted through a winter and getting ready to repeat

·
Registered
152 Posts
Keep it out of the sun if possible. Don't use an abraisive cleaner /polish. I am just using a spray on/wipe off express wax for now while the finish is brand new and does not require any harsh cleaning. I do this about once every 2 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any brand name wax will be good to use, and for the ones that clay bar and then say don't use polish have no idea that a clay bar is polishing their paint job.It is also abrasive

·
Registered
7 Posts
Started using Collinite wax on all of my cars about 3 years ago and have never looked back. The stuff has beading qualities that last 8-9 months. It was originally designed for boats so it's very durable. Get it on Amazon. I get Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, 16 Fl Oz.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I waxed mine with Collinite #845 wax and could not be happier. That stuff has held up great.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I tend to stay away from polishing as long as my car paint condition is good..

I do this about 2~3 times / a year (usually before and after winter) and do probably 2x/month hand car wash... (I do touchless car wash during the winter) I live in Canada and this really helped to keep my car paint up over the long run...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did this today on my 2019 and I have to say I think the "clay" step, is unnecessary, at least on brand new cars. The clay really didn't get much off nor improve the feel of the finish prior to sealing and waxing. What little it did pull out was (I think) from driving the car for 2 months before I finally got around to detailing it.

This is a good process though. I also followed some of the steps in the autogeek article linked in this thread.

I did a wash (wheels/tires, wheel wells, undercarriage first, followed by a second clean bucket of fresh suds for the paint) using Wolfgang Bathe. I then hit it with Pinnacle Clay, followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0, and finished with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran. Hit the vinyl/plastic parts with some Mothers VLR (all I had on hand) and the car is, in the words of Richard Rawlings, "shining like a diamond in a goat's ass"

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the forum, we just added a 2019 EX-L in WDP to the stables over the past weekend and I figured I'd chime in since I have some experience, I've been detailing as a "side hustle" for a few years it was actually therapy turned supplemental income..haha...
So the dealer offered protection is typically BS...its usually a sealant at best and when they "re-apply" after a year they basically wash it, apply and go. They don't take proper steps to decontaminate then correct the paint to make it look (and last) its best and for 90% of the general public its fine.
I immediately removed the pinstripe from ours, then followed with decontaminating the paint, (chemical decon with iron remover, thorough hand wash, then clayed using car wash soap a clay lube). My pilots paint was virtually defect free with the exception of a few water spots which needed to be machine polished to be removed. From there the entire vehicle including the trim was wiped down with a paint prep, then I applied one of my favorite ceramic coatings Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light after about two hours I topped it with Gtechniq C2V3 Liquid Crystal.....normally I would top it with Gtechniq EXO but the wife needed the car later in the day and she hates driving mine. For the trim I had some left over product from another job, 22ple VR1 .....keep the rich dark color of the trim and resists water/dirt in the same way a the ceramic does on paint.

I highly recommend coating because of their durability and ease of regular maintenance, your paint will stay cleaner longer and be easier to clean when its necessary to do so, and did I mention the gloss!!!. All of the products mentioned are great in their own right, before I started installing coatings Menzerna Power Lock and Blackfire Wet Diamond were my go to sealants and and I would typically top those with Collinite 845....all of which are still excellent products, to quote the great Mike Phillips "find a product/process you like and stick with it". Coatings weren't mentioned yet so I figured I'd throw it out there....hopefully my attachments show
IMG_20190630_093630.jpg
IMG_20190630_101603.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
All of the products mentioned are great in their own right, before I started installing coatings Menzerna Power Lock and Blackfire Wet Diamond were my go to sealants and and I would typically top those with Collinite 845....
Great post.

1. What would you suggest as a coating system for a DIY detailer? My priorities are reliable, difficult to screw up, and durable.

2. Why did you change to the Gtechniq line?

3. How long do you expect your coating to last before re-application?

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. What would you suggest as a coating system for a DIY detailer? My priorities are reliable, difficult to screw up, and durable. Crystal Serum Light is DIY friendly and very forgiving, its virtually wipe-on/wipe-off. Its very durable and can stand well on its own however, I recommend topping it with C2V3, I typically top it with EXO and while EXO is nearly as easy to install I don't recommend for first timer unless you have some experience with coatings. C2V3 is Gtechniq sprayable sealant super simple to use and very slick. After you have installed and topped your coating you can dilute C2V3 1:1 with distilled water and use as a dying aid.

2. Why did you change to the Gtechniq line? When I started using coatings I initially used Optimum Polymer Technologies consumer coating (Opticoat 2.0 then Gloss Coat). Optimum Gloss Coat is another uber user friendly coating but it just wasn't as durable as some others on the market at the time, but I really loved how easy it was to install. I tried/tested others (still do) but Gtechniq for me the best mix of durability,price, and ease of installation. Optimum has Pro level higher end coatings but it requires you to reach a monthly minimum product purchase level and since this isn't a 9-5 for me I could not justify the cost.

3. How long do you expect your coating to last before re-application? Gtechniq says CSL alone 3-5 years durability, topped with EXO by a certified installer its warrantied for 5+ years. This is the most frequently asked question I get from customers and there are so many factors to consider from environment to maintenance. My usual answer is it wont last long at all if its not properly maintained....I equate it to buying a Honda...we purchased our Honda's because we trust the brands reliability/dependability however, the vehicle can't just keep running on its own...it needs regular oil changes, tires, brakes etc. So coatings need to be maintained with regular and proper washes. My car is garage kept and washed regularly so I see no reason why it won't make it 3+ years....it will also topped it with C2V3 every couple of months....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts