Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Touring with the 20" wheels, and I was wondering what tires I should purchase after the originals go bad. The original ones are pretty quiet and smooth so I'm thinking about getting the same ones, but is there one that is even better than those? I never go off road so I don't need those tires.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I'm not a fan of OEM factory tires. What did it come with?
Just know that there is no need to spend a $1000 on a set of tires, and if you already need new ones for your 2020, I highly recommend these High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 directional tires. My Crosstour is on its 2nd set after putting 60k miles on the first. TireRack rates these at #3 in the high performance category. It has a higher PSI inflation value so with a few pounds of air extra in each tire, you can actually take some of those high speed turns without having to let off the gas. Not to mention the better weight rating if you tow.

V SPEED RATING

For this price, you can put new tires on every 2 years. I just put a set of 18s on my 17 Pilot EX-L.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I'm not a fan of OEM factory tires. What did it come with?
Just know that there is no need to spend a $1000 on a set of tires, and if you already need new ones for your 2020, I highly recommend these High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 directional tires. My Crosstour is on its 2nd set after putting 60k miles on the first. TireRack rates these at #3 in the high performance category. It has a higher PSI inflation value so with a few pounds of air extra in each tire, you can actually take some of those high speed turns without having to let off the gas. Not to mention the better weight rating if you tow.
View attachment 136556
V SPEED RATING View attachment 136557

For this price, you can put new tires on every 2 years. I just put a set of 18s on my 17 Pilot EX-L.
OP wants a quiet tire.
About that Sumitomo tire, Tire Rack says "A little less road noise would be appreciated."
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=221

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
OP wants a quiet tire.
About that Sumitomo tire, Tire Rack says "A little less road noise would be appreciated."
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=221
My tires are quiet. The OEMs were terribly noisy. Besides, I'll give up a little noise for handling. As I discussed in my own thread, on OEM tires, I could not hold a 70 mph highway dept rated curve without dropping to 60 mph or put it in the wall. High Performance with better speed rating with 38 psi cold fixed that.
ADDED: This is not an XL truck tire. SL rating is for a passenger vehicle. This tire in not rough riding nor does it beat you to death like in some of those Michelin threads that have been posted recently.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I found the rough riding Michelin tire post at $200+ each.
New Tires rough ride
In all fairness to the squishy OEM tires (Bridgestones) that came with my 2017 Pilot, I can't blame all the noise I had on the tire. A lot of my noise cleared up after replacing front and rear engine mounts. But the Bridgestone Duelers could not take a curve without rolling over on the sidewalls. It was very unsafe tire. The Pilot curb weight is 4200Lbs. It needs a tire with s stiffer sidewall.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
My tires are quiet. The OEMs were terribly noisy. Besides, I'll give up a little noise for handling. As I discussed in my own thread, on OEM tires, I could not hold a 70 mph highway dept rated curve without dropping to 60 mph or put it in the wall. High Performance with better speed rating with 38 psi cold fixed that.
ADDED: This is not an XL truck tire. SL rating is for a passenger vehicle. This tire in not rough riding nor does it beat you to death like in some of those Michelin threads that have been posted recently.
Did the OP complain about or even mention handling?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
If you are a street/highway driver and don't live in heavy snow country take a look at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Smooth quiet riding tire, except on surfaces that have been surfaced for high friction. But then no tire is quiet on a road with a high friction surface.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Based on the factors that the OP identified.
He described his tire as quiet and smooth and that he has no use for off road tires. So am I out of line to offer a lower priced, moderately quiet high performance tire that offers more safety?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It's not due for tires yet, but I was just bored so I started searching. Lol.
May I ask, what tires came on your Pilot?
So did you find anything said here that interest you?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't really care about handling too much. I drive like a normal Pilot owner does :p. I want a tire that isn't overpriced, but has the same factors that I listed above. I live in Texas so I don't have any snow, and I live in an area that doesn't have bad roads.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
Continental makes good products. The Continental CrossContact LX Sport is what came on my 2020 Passport Touring. They have been great so far. When the time comes I will take a look at the available options and go from there. Tires are upgraded and changed fairly frequently. Since I do a bit of off roading with the Passport, I may end up looking for something with a little more aggressive tread at the expense of a bit quieter ride. It will depend on what I am doing at the time I need new tires.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts