Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Sage EX yesterday after haggling with the dealer all day, literally, we got there when they opened and left just before they closed. We ended right where we started, at MSRP, but he gave me some price breaks on options. I showed him the prices from handa-accessories.com and he matched them, after shipping costs, for RES and tow package with that price including installation, they both are to be installed after they receive them at the dealership.

Now we signed a piece of paper in finance saying that the DVD and tow work needed to be done within 30 days. When he informed us of what our payment would be (we got 3.99% from them) we were surprised. We expected it to be about $40 a month more than he told us, but we weren't complaining. At that point we were ready to take our Pilot and leave. As we were signing the papers with the total cost, my wife specifically asked the dude several times if the price shown included the accessories. He responded in the affirmative every time. After that we signed the rest of the paperwork and left.

We got home and the whole price thing was messing with my mind so I pulled out the paperwork and started going through the math again. (I know what you all are thinking, "he should have read them at the dealer." Well I did, but it didn't click until I got home). Anyway, nowhere does it specifically say that the RES and tow package is included in the total price. It does say on the Retail Installment Contract that "Cash price for Vehicle (including accessories, delivery, and installation charges).....29371.00", which as you know is MSRP. On that page it has no place to list accessories, but that seems to imply that we then received the accessories for free. But that is where it gets interesting.

On another page with no specific title to it it goes through the breakdown of costs again with a place to list accessories and their respective costs, but nothing is listed. It is signed by us, but not by the manager in the "Approved" line.

Finally, the page I mentioned specifying that the work must be done within 30 days? Well, it is not signed in the "manager approval" line either.

The icing on the cake is that we walked out of the dealership completely forgetting to pay our $2500 downpayment. They forgot to ask us about it and we forgot to pay it.

So, the $64,000 question is what do I do? Should I go back to the dealer tomorrow and show them all of this and ask what is going on? I have the sinking feeling they promised these great prices on the accessories to get us to close the deal and then "forgot" to put them in the contract and they planned on charging us full price after they were installed (the argument against this is that we were negotiating on accessories essentially until we went into the finance office and maybe that screwed up their system of checks and balances).

If that isn't the case maybe they did accidentally forget to put them in the contract. Do we then assume that they are free? What about the downpayment? While I would love to walk away with $4500 of savings, I don't think it is right. In any case, I am stumped about what to tell the dealer tomorrow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Having said all of this, my wife and I LOVE our Pilot. It is a fantastic car.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and your patience with this rambling post. And I know I am an idiot and should have realized all of this yesterday at the dealers.

Tyler

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome to the board!

OK, let me go get some popcorn and read that again.....:lurk:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to belabor the point, but two things I missed.

On the Retail Installment Contract there is a place under "Automobile Equipment Included" to list "Other dealer installed options" and nothing is written there. Finally, that document is not signed either. That means the dealer signed 2 of the 7 document we left with that have places for him to sign.

What does this mean? Do we own our car?

Tyler

·
Registered
276 Posts
OK, I think I understand now.

This needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. If not, it could backfire in the future.

Here's the thing.....if your salesperson/dealership is honest, they should acknowledge that it was their mistake not getting the manager approval on your papers. After all, they are after customer satisfaction ratings (I would assume....)

However, some dealers (even Honda) like to give the rest of them a bad name. They might come back and screw you royally for not having a "manager approval" on the papers, thereby voiding all previous verbal agreements between you and the salesperson.

Contact Jerry Murray (right?) on this board, he is a nice person and is also a Honda dealer! Let's hope he sees this and can give you some advice.

Happy Piloting!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you have the title to it? I'd say if you had that, then you're free to go. :8:

·
Registered
18 Posts
i doubt he has the title since it was financed.

i am in no way an expert on this, but FWIW:

go back to the dealership and get it all straightened out. though it would be nice to keep your downpayment and all, eventually they'll see their mistakes and better to get it all squared away now, then have to face angry dealers who you might have to deal with again if something goes wrong with the Pilot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure I will go back tomorrow and just lay it all out. I know that they would figure out the downpayment before long and I would rather be able to have that be something I initiate than have them call me on it. It should show my willingness to work this out in good faith.

And no I don't have the title, as 1314 said.

Anyway, I will be glad to have this mess behind me and just get to enjoy the car.

Tyler

·
Registered
23 Posts
dealer

Good Luck! I have not had much success with my dealer in getting something resolved after I walked away with the car and the money delivered. But since you are financing it maybe you still have some time. Unfortunately, because I checked, Oregon does not have a lemon law. Once you sign the paperwork it is very hard to "undo" the deal. Although if the manager didn't sign, I wonder if it is not a completed deal.

I know that we are probably not supposed to list the dealership here in the forum, but I would be interested, since I bought in Oregon as well. Can you tell me which city? I am just curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now for the happy ending. After much overreacting on our part everything is taken care of. They did forget to charge us for the options, but that has now been remedied. They said that they would have figured it out.....eventually.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Tyler

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice to hear that everything worked out for you, Tyler!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
388 Posts
:) glad to hear ytou got it all worked out , i usually have all the line items figured out before i go into the dealr so i know what the bottom line should say before i sign!

·
Registered
64 Posts
duckdude said:
So now for the happy ending. After much overreacting on our part everything is taken care of. They did forget to charge us for the options, but that has now been remedied. They said that they would have figured it out.....eventually.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Tyler
Sorry, but I just found this post.

I have aquestion...WHO spends ALL day trying to buy a car? If we did that here, our CSI would drop like a man hole cover from 10,000 feet!

I started in the car business in Portland 6 years ago. I know how the dealers there operate...it just wouldn't fly back here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One thing left out was whether you paid the $2500 down payment? Second, I am with Jeff on this one, we open @ 9am and close @ 9pm. Seems a long time to work out MSRP! I feel no need to comment on the paperwork since it is resolved.

Congratulations on your new Pilot, I am positive you will still be grinning months to come!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pilothead,

Definitely a valid point. We had the numbers worked out prior to entering the dealers that morning. I'm pretty confident I can add in my head, but after 7 hours stick a fork in me cause I was done.

Jerry,

Thanks for responding. We certainly had NO intentions of staying for over 7 hours. However, that included almost 2 hours with the car. We test drove it for a while, including a bumby dirt road to listen for additional squeaks I read about here. After that we sat everywhere and moved our kids' car seats around and did a thorough inspection on the car. Then we started negotiating. We worked for a while on trying to lower MSRP, obviously unsuccessfully. Then haggled over our trade in, we were upside down on it (something I will NEVER let happen again) and finally since we couldn't budge them from MSRP we worked on options. Since they only had 1 finance guy working we had to sit for almost an hour while the people in front of us finished. We had expected no more than a couple of hours at most.

hubb45251,

yeah we made the down payment. We considered not saying anything and hoping for free options and not down payment. However, I didn't want to feel guilty everytime we watched a movie or towed something.

Anyway, we LOVE our pilot. We are not letting our buying experience ruin our driving experience. I can't believe I waited this long to buy one.

Finally, though I may seem to buy an idiot, I only play one in this forum and while buying this car.

Tyler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts