Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
170 Posts
No need to DIY it if you’re not comfortable with it. You can pay someone but $2,200 is absurd.
$2,200 is absurd I paid $1,400 at the local Acura store that treats me unusually well and they gave me a very fresh MDX to play with for a weekend.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
No need to DIY it if you’re not comfortable with it. You can pay someone but $2,200 is absurd.
$2,200 is absurd I paid $1,400 at the local Acura store that treats me unusually well and they gave me a very fresh MDX to play with for a weekend.
In the OPs defense, he did mention other work was going to be performed that made the quote $2200. I still say that if one pays $1400 for just a TB WP job, thats still over paying. I'd shop around for $800-$1000. Find a independent that will use the Aisin Kit TKH002 (like South Main Auto video). Some will let you provide the parts and coolant of your choice for even more savings.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
937 Posts
All I'll say is do not pay $600 for new coolant hoses. That is robbery. Probably don't need a valve adjustment and probably don't need spark plugs.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
All I'll say is do not pay $600 for new coolant hoses. That is robbery. Probably don't need a valve adjustment and probably don't need spark plugs.
Someone paid or quoted $600 for coolant hoses?
I'd replace the spark plugs with each TB WP service. You don't really gain anything by waiting for a needed maintenance item, unless you total the vehicle after skipping over replacing them, lol.
The misfire codes will eventually come. If you want to save $100+, learn to DIY your spark plugs.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
937 Posts
Someone paid or quoted $600 for coolant hoses?
I'd replace the spark plugs with each TB WP service. You don't really gain anything by waiting for a needed maintenance item, unless you total the vehicle after skipping over replacing them, lol.
The misfire codes will eventually come. If you want to save $100+, learn to DIY your spark plugs.
Yeah, in a different post by the same person there's a quote. $635 for a coolant hose package. I've never heard of replacing coolant hoses.
Spark plugs make sense to do, I certainly would not pay anyone to do them. Definitely a DIY thing.

·
Administrator
15,569 Posts
I was at a CarMax this weekend. So many sub standard vehicles imho that I couldn’t see myself buying there.
only got a little better at real dealerships.
To the point, I’m thinking of buying new not young used again.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Don't like getting greasy every weekend?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD
433 Posts
I was at a CarMax this weekend. So many sub standard vehicles imho that I couldn’t see myself buying there.
only got a little better at real dealerships.
To the point, I’m thinking of buying new not young used again.
Not sure which market you are in.
I'm near Milwaukee, about 1.5 hours north of Chitcago.

I looked nearly every day on CL for about 2 weeks.
a 15 LX 4WD came up, asking 15,9K for. Original owner. It was close to us too.
An individual selling it. He took it to Yuma AZ every year he had it, thus no corrosion from the road salt.
He barely scraped up 15K out of a few accounts, and went to see him and test drive it.
Like new - 64,500 miles.
We offered him the 15K, he didn't want to. I told him that's all we had, I told him I had $40 in my wallet. He calls his wife, tells her we only have 15K. I guess she said OK. 'Cause he got off the phone and said 'OK, 15, 040!
I'm happy we did it. Wife drives it mostly now- we had an 08 FWD SE we bought new when we were in TX. I since change ALL drive train fluids and installed heated seat covers, and a OEM key fob activated remote start!- for the wife or course!

All I'm saying is, maybe you have looked awhile, but sometimes you can find a really nice low mileage one!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Spark plugs are a no-brainer. As others share, do them before they set a fault code, or worse, damage the COP units.

Valve adjustments sometimes seem like excessive work. But things to wear, and while the car may run perfectly at timing belt time, the check-and-adjust you do is to keep the valves happy for the -next- 100k or so. Since you have the whole front of the engine off and plan to turn it by the nose bolt anyway to verify cam timing, the additional steps needed (remove the cam covers) to at least check the clearances are relatively minor. Edsel Murphy is my co-pilot when I short-cut stuff. Whenever I say that "it'll be fine, just let it go!", it ends up not being fine, and it just lets go. Virtually never in the workbay either; usually on the side of some lonely highway, too hot or too cold, and mrs dr bob calling me those names.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In the OPs defense, he did mention other work was going to be performed that made the quote $2200. I still say that if one pays $1400 for just a TB WP job, thats still over paying. I'd shop around for $800-$1000. Find a independent that will use the Aisin Kit TKH002 (like South Main Auto video). Some will let you provide the parts and coolant of your choice for even more savings.
I've worked on cars a bit in my past life and I'm sure I could have gotten a better deal. However, at this point in my life, "trust" is worth the premium I pay for it. I've also shopped independent shops for various jobs and find, believe it or not, the dealerships are actually competitive on many items.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll add to my comment about the dealerships being competitive. Independent shops have to pay through the nose for diagnostics from many different manufacturers(who really don't want independent shops to have access to them anyway at the behest of their whining dealerships). The independent shops have to recover those fees along with all of the other overhead they have..

That said, the older my vehicles get, the more likely I am to relinquish maintenance and repair work to independent shops when it's a substantial savings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To your original question... i think $18,500 seems REALLY high for that car. Honestly i assumed the price would in the $13,000 range.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To your original question... i think $18,500 seems REALLY high for that car. Honestly i assumed the price would in the $13,000 range.
They have held their value remarkably well. My 2013 has a trade in value of 18k and some are advertising them for sale on Auto Trader in the 23k range.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
74 Posts
I’ve been Honda owner for YEARS. From 2009-2015 I owned a 2006 Pilot that I LOVED (but it didn’t have some features I really do need like Bluetooth). So I traded it in after nearly 6 years of a perfect experience in every way. Currently I own a 2012 CRV that just doesn’t quite give me everything I’m looking for in a car. So I’m looking to go back to a pilot. I know I prefer the 2012-2015 body style over all others.

Recently I found (on CARMAX) a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring with 108,000 miles. This is one that has EVERYTHING I want in a pilot. It’s the exact color interior/exterior I want. It’s got the multi angle backup cam which I love (must have living in the city for parallel parking). It’s got Bluetooth (must have for my music as it’s what I do for a living). It’s got the DVD player for the kids. Etc etc. Etc. It’s EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for. It’s priced at $18,500.

I found the full service record going all the way back to the date it was first sold. One owner. VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF. But....it hasn’t had the 105,000 mile scheduled maintenance done yet (including timing belt/water pump). So altogether, a roughly $2200 maintenance when all is said and done. But I know that usually once this scheduled maintenance is done, my pilot will be good for a long time (sparing the normal stuff).

i just don’t know if I should pull the trigger on this. It is literally everything I’ve ever wanted in a pilot. My only hang up is this scheduled maintenance costs that I’ll incur literally the day I buy the vehicle. .

HELP!!! What should I do?
Seems a little overpriced, Monthly cost, Id likely consider a new Pilot. Better telematics, better residual value...

·
Registered
18 Posts
"...after nearly 6 years of a perfect experience in every way."

$18.5 is KBB 'ballpark.' Someone above suggested negotiating down $2K. If you keep the "new" one for 6 years, that's $333 per year. If you trust this dealer, and he is honest, and the car is in good condition, I say, it's very hard to find a 7 year old car, one owner, with a complete maintenance history, and 2013 was a good year for Pilots. Pay the man his price and ask him to throw in something, like new complete OEM floor-mats, all-around OEM splash guards, a new battery--all of that is less than $1K. I assume the timing-belt was replaced, if not, that's a good sweetener. But, I suggest you don't walk away from this one if it's what you want. Not for $333.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been Honda owner for YEARS. From 2009-2015 I owned a 2006 Pilot that I LOVED (but it didn’t have some features I really do need like Bluetooth). So I traded it in after nearly 6 years of a perfect experience in every way. Currently I own a 2012 CRV that just doesn’t quite give me everything I’m looking for in a car. So I’m looking to go back to a pilot. I know I prefer the 2012-2015 body style over all others.

Recently I found (on CARMAX) a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring with 108,000 miles. This is one that has EVERYTHING I want in a pilot. It’s the exact color interior/exterior I want. It’s got the multi angle backup cam which I love (must have living in the city for parallel parking). It’s got Bluetooth (must have for my music as it’s what I do for a living). It’s got the DVD player for the kids. Etc etc. Etc. It’s EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for. It’s priced at $18,500.

I found the full service record going all the way back to the date it was first sold. One owner. VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF. But....it hasn’t had the 105,000 mile scheduled maintenance done yet (including timing belt/water pump). So altogether, a roughly $2200 maintenance when all is said and done. But I know that usually once this scheduled maintenance is done, my pilot will be good for a long time (sparing the normal stuff).

i just don’t know if I should pull the trigger on this. It is literally everything I’ve ever wanted in a pilot. My only hang up is this scheduled maintenance costs that I’ll incur literally the day I buy the vehicle. .

$2200 seems awfully high. I’ve got a 2016 and just had the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner replaced for $700 parts and labor combined. Private trusted mechanic so I have to assume you could cut that in half at least.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L
56 Posts

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself out of it. Don't. It's got what you want. Buy it.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L
56 Posts
This is great advice. Thanks. I’m definitely going to do a compression test. I don’t have all the necessary peices for this. But I found a vid from Scotty Kilmer showing how to do a relative compression test with a multimeter and some other parts. What are your thoughts? Here’s the vid: skip to 3:25.
I hope nothing ever happens to Scotty's arms. He'll never be able to speak a word again, ever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I talked them down about $1000. Plus there’s a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I’m going to use that time to do some tests on the other systems.

I should specify, when I said the 105,000 maintenance would cost me around $2200...that’s timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, valve adjustment, trans fluid, and replaces any hoses that are corroded or looking worn. I’ve done some research and while this is expensive, my mechanic friends say this is the one scheduled maintenance that I should definitely do ASAP and it’s best to do at the dealer.

Does anyone have any further advice on what systems/parts tend to fail with the 2013 pilots specifically?

Thanks again Pilot fam!
Well if it’s WHITE you may wind up with a peeling snake. I own 2013 pilot.... love it . In 2018 the roof up to the sunroof peeled off. Honda Very Very Reluctantly paid half but put me through the ringer constantly asking for more and more documentation. Now the left side of the roof along the sunroof has peeled. The worst. I’ve owed Honda’s since 1992 this will be my last .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thank you all for your feedback. I’m doing the test drive today. If I end up getting the vehicle I’m going to do the timing belt, spark plugs, valve adjustment, and s-vcm right away. Is there anything else you’d all recommend doing RIGHT AWAY?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts