Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!
I've procrastinated long enough and it's time to replace, at the very least, the rear shocks on my 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L. Might do the front also. I'm looking for suggestions. I do little, if any, off-roading so the VTX-4 doesn't come into play very often. My wife and I do mostly local and highway driving around the big city.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Check out the KYBs at Rock Auto for a great price plus 5% off to help on the shipping. Just don't procrastinate too long on the routine maintenance (fluids/TB/WP etc) the 16yr-old Pilot needs to maintain its reputation.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
The VTM-4 system is working each time you accelerate from a stop, so it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change the differential fluid. Only use the Honda/Acura VTM-4 fluid.

KYB is what I replaced the rear shocks with many years ago. They have performed just fine.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, aggrex! I plan on making up for my lack of attention to this wonderful machine! Both my wife and I love our Honda Pilot! Back in 2005 when we purchased it new, it was the highest-rated Three-Row SUV, according to Consumer Reports. We were even thinking of trading it in for the second-generation Pilot when it came out 2 years later but, we were both a little bummed when it came out. The first-gen was highly rated and the second-gen took a tumble. No clue why Honda allowed that to happen.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The VTM-4 system is working each time you accelerate from a stop, so it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change the differential fluid. Only use the Honda/Acura VTM-4 fluid.

KYB is what I replaced the rear shocks with many years ago. They have performed just fine.
Thank you, road2cycle. I have the Honda VTM-4 fluid standing by for the change out tomorrow! Thanx for the reply!

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
You might consider replacing the fill port and drain port crush washers when you do the job. Some folks reuse the washers; I don’t. The two washers are different sizes, so don’t let the parts person give you two of the same size if you decide to replace them.

Lowering the spare tire will be necessary to fill the differential. That will be a good time to air up the spare and lube its lift cable. Many folks on here have replaced the donut with a full size spare.

My wife’s 2005 Pilot was purchased new as well, so it’s nice to “meet” another original owner.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might consider replacing the fill port and drain port crush washers when you do the job. Some folks reuse the washers; I don’t. The two washers are different sizes, so don’t let the parts person give you two of the same size if you decide to replace them.

Lowering the spare tire will be necessary to fill the differential. That will be a good time to air up the spare and lube its lift cable. Many folks on here have replaced the donut with a full size spare.

My wife’s 2005 Pilot was purchased new as well, so it’s nice to “meet” another original owner.
Hey road2cycle. Just yesterday they delivered my set of assorted Crush Washers I purchased online. I think there are 460 of them, all copper. from 28mm down. The three videos I watched on replacing the Rear Differential Oil and Sensor say you don't have to lower the spare but, you bring up a great point and anything like this that makes the job a little easier to do is well worth doing! I love the idea of lubing the cables! Great recommendation! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey road2cycle. Just yesterday they delivered my set of assorted Crush Washers I purchased online. I think there are 460 of them, all copper. from 28mm down. The three videos I watched on replacing the Rear Differential Oil and Sensor say you don't have to lower the spare but, you bring up a great point and anything like this that makes the job a little easier to do is well worth doing! I love the idea of lubing the cables! Great recommendation! Thanks again!
Which Model 2005 Pilot does your wife drive? We have the EX-L.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Which Model 2005 Pilot does your wife drive? We have the EX-L.
We cheaped out and got the LX since the only thing she wanted that the LX didn’t have was tinted windows. We paid $300 to have a shop install the tinting film. The Pilot has been by far the best vehicle we have owed.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
@Phoophan The guys above have covered some good stuff, so for now I'll just how to get the 5% discount if you get your KYB shocks and any other stuff from Rock auto. BTW, I got my KYB shocks there a few years ago and they've been fine.

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts