Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2017 Honda Pilot. I have terrible shaking when braking, I am assuming the rotors are toast. I have almost 50,000 miles.

What rotors and brake pads are you all using.

I do tow a trailer once in a while with a 1500 lb garden tractor on it, so maybe some better performing brakes and pads.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Centric rotors and Akebono pads are always a good combo. Never been disappointed.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I tell everyone how much I like the Raybestos Element 3 Rotors and Pads.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
On my 2017 Honda Pilot. I have terrible shaking when braking, I am assuming the rotors are toast. I have almost 50,000 miles.
Try braking hard several times in a row from highway speed - but without coming to a complete stop - and see if the shaking is reduced afterward.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pads
Centric Premium (Black Hat) rotors.

This is a great combo on all my cars but I think the pilot really requires a BBK. I think the brake pad OEM size is too small. A car this big and heavy should brake on a dime.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is a great combo on all my cars but I think the pilot really requires a BBK. I think the brake pad OEM size is too small. A car this big and heavy should brake on a dime.
Forget the BBK and upgrade to some stickier tires for improved stopping distance. (Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 anyone?)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I grab the centric axle packs, the most expensive solid rotor one I can get. It's treated me well so no reason to change.

Some people love Akebono pads but I hear Honda uses them for the OEM pads and pad deposits are the reason most people think they have "warped" rotors, so I'd rather stay away from them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I grab the centric axle packs, the most expensive solid rotor one I can get. It's treated me well so no reason to change.

Some people love Akebono pads but I hear Honda uses them for the OEM pads and pad deposits are the reason most people think they have "warped" rotors, so I'd rather stay away from them.
can you please elaborate on the pad deposits a bit more?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
can you please elaborate on the pad deposits a bit more?

People on this forum don't seem to do it but if you catch the pulsing pedal early you can follow a pad break-in procedure and usually remove the deposits.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try braking hard several times in a row from highway speed - but without coming to a complete stop - and see if the shaking is reduced afterward.
Do you think my brakes have some residue on them, like they need cleaned?

I know when I brake, it doesn't matter if its a hard brake or a soft brake, the steering wheel will shake and the vehicle will shake.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Do you think my brakes have some residue on them, like they need cleaned?

I know when I brake, it doesn't matter if its a hard brake or a soft brake, the steering wheel will shake and the vehicle will shake.
Did you read the link I posted?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you read the link I posted?
Yeah, So I think I may use some brake cleaner and then try some hard braking stops to see if that helps.

I am just thinking me pulling around a trailer with a heavy garden tractor could have over heated the brakes.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah, So I think I may use some brake cleaner and then try some hard braking stops to see if that helps.

I am just thinking me pulling around a trailer with a heavy garden tractor could have over heated the brakes.
Let us know how it works... my personal policy with bedding brakes is if you aren't smelling brakes and seeing smoke they aren't hot enough... And it is critical that you not come to a complete stop during the procedure or for 10 mins or so afterward. I usually do my bedding on a road that links up to I95, then I go 10 miles down and back up 95 without stopping.

Reactions: Jimmyt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, but I do not have new brakes, I have the originals. but I will try the brake cleaner, unless the Honda rotors just suck to begin with.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts