Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2004 with 235k on it and giving it to my daughter and have read a ton of articles on here but not many ones recently about oil filters. From other sites, it sounds like a lot of good brands and models have gone to cheap construction and cutting corners from what they were always known for.
I'd just like to find the right (current) filter and get a case and be done.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Got a 2004 with 235k on it and giving it to my daughter and have read a ton of articles on here but not many ones recently about oil filters. From other sites, it sounds like a lot of good brands and models have gone to cheap construction and cutting corners from what they were always known for.
Thanks!
For the most up-to-date information, I'd be looking on Bob is the Oil Guy forums. While we may have some good conversations on here and some knowledgeable members, that's all they do over there.

·
Registered
2007 EX 4WD
410 Posts
I'm using the Bosch 3323 for my Pilot, and the OEM (15400-PLM-A02) for my CRV (while it's under warranty). The holy grail of filters is no longer being produced, the Honda 15400-PLM-A01 made by filtech.

With the exception of the s2000, Honda engines don't seem to picky. It seems just about any filter is fine in the J35s.

But I do agree with @cintocrunch, BITOG is loaded with opinions, some of them even based on facts.

·
Super Moderator
5,048 Posts
Things and brand quality can change over time. I typically use Purolator, Wix, Mobil-1 etc whomever is on sale. Regular oil change intervals with synthetic fluids help keep my Pilot healthy. No need to buy a case as a few on the garage shelf should suffice.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,193 Posts
After experimenting with several, Wix XP or Napa Gold are very well made filters. Made with synthetic fibers. For more bang for the buck, I use Wix 51334XP. It is about 16% larger than the 57356XP and has the same bypass valve pressure rating as the 57356XP at 9-11 GPM.
Some filters are higher (not a good thing). If the bypass doesn't open if filter clogs, there is a risk oil pump spring relief valve failure.
I avoid economy priced filters. I'd at least buy at mid price range.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,980 Posts
You can also check YouTube videos for the latest oil filter comparison. I recently watched one where the guy cut open a good handful of conventional and synthetic oil filters, and it was very educational. It showed what the cheapie filters are made from (avoid those) and that a high cost filter doesn’t necessarily mean better quality materials were used in its production.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,215 Posts
As I always say, I change my oil filter every oil change, and I use.....
Drum roll please......
SuperTech- the Walmart brand. They have good reviews, and they're cheap.

Reactions: 20Piloteer07

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
As I always say, I change my oil filter every oil change, and I use.....
Drum roll please......
SuperTech- the Walmart brand. They have good reviews, and they're cheap.
I'm not confident that this reduced size filter last 5k miles before the bypass valve will need to open.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
746 Posts
for years I used to run purolator on my Jeep. on my honda's I run fram ultra. been running the SAME filter on my civic since the first oil change was done by me and every subsequent oil change. I will have owned the vehicle 10 years at the end of the month, no oil related issues.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
746 Posts
guess I should have been more specific. not literally the same filter has been left on the vehicle for 10 years but the same part number canister is replaced at every MM dash light notification :LOL:

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
137 Posts
I stick with OEM filters. I buy in quantity on Ebay or even the dealer. They are a far better deal than what you get at Wal Mart or Autozone. I change oil every 5k, so filter media, while important, isn't a deal breaker.

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
I stick with OEM filters. I buy in quantity on Ebay or even the dealer. They are a far better deal than what you get at Wal Mart or Autozone. I change oil every 5k, so filter media, while important, isn't a deal breaker.
If I insisted on a Honda filter, I'd want to make sure it's genuine, making sure it was sourced from a dealership.
Product Font Material property Liquid Gas

Or maybe not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The oil filter that I use and serves me well is the Mobil 1, M1-110A. I use this filter in my Pilot, '12 Civic Si, and '10 CRV and it hasn't failed me yet. I've cut open a few of them and they've all been clean to what I could see. They typically see from 5K-15K per change and I couldn't be happier with them.

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
I could have sworn I saw a Project Farm video on oil filters, but for the life of me I can't find it. Need to work on my Google-Fu.

Organism Primate Terrestrial animal Toy Font

But for me it's usually Mobil-1, Wix or the most expensive Fram, whichever's on sale for cheap.

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
If I insisted on a Honda filter, I'd want to make sure it's genuine, making sure it was sourced from a dealership.
View attachment 154840
Or maybe not.
Reply to my own post.
What's interesting about this website is the photo says Made in Japan but the manufacturer is some where else.

Reactions: headknocker

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I could have sworn I saw a Project Farm video on oil filters, but for the life of me
But for me it's usually Mobil-1, Wix or the most expensive Fram, whichever's on sale for cheap.
Project Farm has tested both air filters and motor oil, but so far doesn't seem to have tested oil filters.
@Nail Grease seems to prefer the Wix XP oil filter - with the leaky pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
Project Farm has tested both air filters and motor oil, but so far doesn't seem to have tested oil filters.
@Nail Grease seems to prefer the Wix XP oil filter - with the leaky pressure relief valve.

I'm in no way for or against WixXP. I use there filter quite simply because of the synthetic fiber media, and the decent price I can get by buying in bulk quantities from RA. What I think is unfair about the test is that he plugged all the other filters, not doing the bubble test relying on their own bypass valve. He could have plugged the end of the Wix to get a more accurate comparison with the other filters. Remember too, he is forcing air in the opposite direction than the oil will flow.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I'm in no way for or against WixXP. I use there filter quite simply because of the synthetic fiber media, and the decent price I can get by buying in bulk quantities from RA. What I think is unfair about the test is that he plugged all the other filters, not doing the bubble test relying on their own bypass valve. He could have plugged the end of the Wix to get a more accurate comparison with the other filters. Remember too, he is forcing air in the opposite direction than the oil will flow.
You always try to find fault with the testing procedure when the outcome doesn't favor the products you choose to use.
Same for tire tests.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts