Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2006 Pilot has served us remarkably, and is pushing 250K miles. We just lost the transmission, and I've been quoted $4K for a Jasper transmission installed. That's roughly the value of the vehicle before the gearbox went south, and I'm wondering what options I might consider? At this point, I have no idea as to its value in its present condition--can't be much. I was hoping it would last us another year to get our son through his last year of high school before replacing it.

Can anyone who has been it this situation offer some insights--would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,514 Posts
If I was in your shoes, and my 248k miles 05 lost its transmission, I would bid it a sad farewell and go shopping. They really aren't worth much and it's not economic to fix.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,953 Posts
If it was my Pilot I’d move on. It wouldn’t make good financial sense to have the transmission replaced.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
331 Posts
Our 2006 Pilot has served us remarkably, and is pushing 250K miles. We just lost the transmission, and I've been quoted $4K for a Jasper transmission installed. That's roughly the value of the vehicle before the gearbox went south, and I'm wondering what options I might consider? At this point, I have no idea as to its value in its present condition--can't be much. I was hoping it would last us another year to get our son through his last year of high school before replacing it.

Can anyone who has been it this situation offer some insights--would be much appreciated.
Assuming you have to pay someone to do the work for you, your options are pretty simple:

1. Walk away and put the $4k into something else. You don't take any additional risk on your existing Pilot. If you need a "basic transportation" car for a year, you can easily buy something reliable that will re-sell for about what you paid.
2. Repair it and hope you can sell it immediately for more than the cost of repair. Probably not practical - if it sells low, you're subsidizing a new transmission for someone else. If it sells high, your potential upside on the deal is still minimal. You burn time and effort and wind up in the same place economically as walking away now.
3. Repair it with the intent of keeping it for a year (or more). If it works out, you have a good car again for not much money per year. If something serious goes wrong before the year is out, you're back where you are now after spending the $4k. Even if it works out well, you took the risk of losing the $4k and wound up in the same place economically as walking away now.

I've gotten lucky with option 3. If you're very confident that the transmission is the only problem, you might, too. Still, I'm with Rocky - I think you got your money's worth from this one. Time to move on. Spend the money on something that is more likely to take you in a positive direction.

·
Registered
828 Posts

I'm going to agree with Rocky and road2cycle: it is hard to justify a $4000 repair on your Pilot. The only way you should even consider doing the transmission is if everything else about your Pilot is exceptionally good! Do you live in a no road salt state?--rusted unibody is a non-starter. Have you kept the Pilot well maintained? Suspension all fixed up? Already have newer tires? If all the expensive stuff is in good shape, then maybe it's worth a $4k repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming you have to pay someone to do the work for you, your options are pretty simple:

1. Walk away and put the $4k into something else. You don't take any additional risk on your existing Pilot. If you need a "basic transportation" car for a year, you can easily buy something reliable that will re-sell for about what you paid.
2. Repair it and hope you can sell it immediately for more than the cost of repair. Probably not practical - if it sells low, you're subsidizing a new transmission for someone else. If it sells high, your potential upside on the deal is still minimal. You burn time and effort and wind up in the same place economically as walking away now.
3. Repair it with the intent of keeping it for a year (or more). If it works out, you have a good car again for not much money per year. If something serious goes wrong before the year is out, you're back where you are now after spending the $4k. Even if it works out well, you took the risk of losing the $4k and wound up in the same place economically as walking away now.

I've gotten lucky with option 3. If you're very confident that the transmission is the only problem, you might, too. Still, I'm with Rocky - I think you got your money's worth from this one. Time to move on. Spend the money on something that is more likely to take you in a positive direction.
To All who took the time to reply--your time and advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
Option 3 is something to consider, as I was planning to keep the Pilot to give us some flexibility with my 17 year old son in his last year of high school. We live in the country--wheels are a must for doing anything for us, and the wife and I are often traveling for work. Either way, we're looking at similar money--if not more--to replace it.
Again, thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Unless you have someone at your house .... Like I do (the boss) that drives an 06 next to nothing for rust no issues since everything already has been replaced or repaired so under neath other than the engine trans and frame is new. in our house she wants it to drive till it can not be repaired / or a million miles comes around .. I think shes got a lose screw in the head but it's her pilot. We would invest in the 4 grand even though I agree with others here myself it's a black hole money pit when will it end... 4 grand is a little high for a rebuilt ..considering at the time it was only 5 grand to purchase oem new from the dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts