1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Just acquired a 2020 Pilot EX-L.

Will be doing my own oil changes.

Owner’s Guide says use Honda oil, but I’m curious as to what others are using.

With a 15000 interval, I’m assuming that any synthetic oil 0-20w would be acceptable.

What say you?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm not sure where you have come up with a 15000 mile interval? Unless the 2020 model changed from my 2019 model, you are supposed to go by the Maintenance Minder in the car. The code for an oil change can pop up usually anywhere from about 5000-10000 miles depending on how the car has been driven. The MM also only calls for an oil filter replacement every other oil change, which could result in up to around 20000 miles on the filter.

Going to be many comments I am sure about doing early oil changes and what to use or not use.

Honda owner's manual says Honda oil is recommended, but also then says any commercial oil product meeting specs can be used. Personally I have always done 5000 mile changes with a filter on all of my previous non-Honda cars. I am doing the same with the Pilot. I am NOT resetting the MM at my early changes just to keep it in sync for the other services due such as differential, transfer case, and transmission fluid.

I used Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 at my first change and a Honda A0-1 filter around 5000 miles. I just had a dealer change done around 9000 miles when the MM showed 10% life left. The dealer used Honda (Phillips 66 product ) 0W20 oil and a Honda A0-2 filter. Only used them because they had a $29.99 coupon for the full synthetic Honda oil (6 quarts) and the Honda A0-2 filter. The MM was reset and was showing the A1 service, oil change only and tire rotation. I had rotated my tires myself around 7500 miles.

My next oil change I will be using Mobil 0W20 EP and the Honda A0-1.I had purchased 6 of these filters when I purchased my Pilot. When they are gone, I will be switching to the Fram Ultra oil filter XG7317 designed for 20000 miles, even though I will be changing the filter at every oil change. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Since I do most of my own maintenance, I keep all of my receipts for parts purchased, and note the date and miles on them when installed or used. The Honda owner's site also has a very nice way to keep entries of any work you have done on the car. You can record what was done, what was used, date and miles, where done and cost, etc. Just another way to keep good records if you ever need them or to provide to the next buyer if you sell the car.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Greetings,

Just acquired a 2020 Pilot EX-L.

Will be doing my own oil changes.

Owner’s Guide says use Honda oil, but I’m curious as to what others are using.

With a 15000 interval, I’m assuming that any synthetic oil 0-20w would be acceptable.

What say you?
The owner's manual does not say, "...use Honda oil" - Copied from the manual it says, "Use a genuine engine oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient temperature) as shown in the image that follows.

Genuine Engine OilCommercial Engine Oil
● Honda Genuine Motor Oil● Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container.

Ambient Temperature

So ANY 0W-20 with an API Certification Seal on it will be fine which represents if not 100% of what's on the market then 99.999% of what's on the market. I use either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 Extended Performance with a FRAM Ultra filter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not sure where you have come up with a 15000 mile interval? Unless the 2020 model changed from my 2019 model, you are supposed to go by the Maintenance Minder in the car. The code for an oil change can pop up usually anywhere from about 5000-10000 miles depending on how the car has been driven. The MM also only calls for an oil filter replacement every other oil change, which could result in up to around 20000 miles on the filter.

Going to be many comments I am sure about doing early oil changes and what to use or not use.

Honda owner's manual says Honda oil is recommended, but also then says any commercial oil product meeting specs can be used. Personally I have always done 5000 mile changes with a filter on all of my previous non-Honda cars. I am doing the same with the Pilot. I am NOT resetting the MM at my early changes just to keep it in sync for the other services due such as differential, transfer case, and transmission fluid.

I used Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 at my first change and a Honda A0-1 filter around 5000 miles. I just had a dealer change done around 9000 miles when the MM showed 10% life left. The dealer used Honda (Phillips 66 product ) 0W20 oil and a Honda A0-2 filter. Only used them because they had a $29.99 coupon for the full synthetic Honda oil (6 quarts) and the Honda A0-2 filter. The MM was reset and was showing the A1 service, oil change only and tire rotation. I had rotated my tires myself around 7500 miles.

My next oil change I will be using Mobil 0W20 EP and the Honda A0-1.I had purchased 6 of these filters when I purchased my Pilot. When they are gone, I will be switching to the Fram Ultra oil filter XG7317 designed for 20000 miles, even though I will be changing the filter at every oil change. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Since I do most of my own maintenance, I keep all of my receipts for parts purchased, and note the date and miles on them when installed or used. The Honda owner's site also has a very nice way to keep entries of any work you have done on the car. You can record what was done, what was used, date and miles, where done and cost, etc. Just another way to keep good records if you ever need them or to provide to the next buyer if you sell the car.

I guess it's true - the old adage that you learn something new everyday! I was not aware that you could record your DIY maintenance on the Honda Owner's site. Thanks for pointing that out. I, too, accomplish the oil & filter change at 5000 mile intervals. I do very little city driving & could probably go longer, but two oil changes per year is pretty cheap maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

When I hit 1500 miles, the maintenance on the dash said “90% oil life” , so I did some assuming.

I am now at 1572, and it is saying “80% oil life”, so now I’m guessing there is some type of rounding off going on or a dynamic calculation based on driving conditions (as you mentioned) or both. Will keep my eye on it and report back later.

Additionally, between the 2 readings, I got the Honda Link App up and running, which may or may have something to do with the jump in change interval extrapolation.

The owners manual doesn’t give an interval, just refers to the maintenance minder.

As far as the first oil change goes, the service department suggested to do it at 3750. Not sure if they are trying to drum up business or that the first change should be half of 7500, which may be the interval thereafter.

Looking at my records for my prior 2004 Pilot, I did the first change at 4000 and 7500 thereafter, so I feel that that might be the way to go. I got 300,000 out of that vehicle, so I’m leaning in that direction.

Now I am leery about resetting the oil change minder early because of what you said about throwing off the other fluid minders in the process. Any one else try this?

With the 2004 Pilot, I was able to attain the Honda Technical Service manual from Honda which spells this stuff out for you in black and white. I have been unable to find any such manual for the 2020 Pilot. That manual was a godsend for DIYers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The owner's manual does not say, "...use Honda oil" - Copied from the manual it says, "Use a genuine engine oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient temperature) as shown in the image that follows.

Genuine Engine OilCommercial Engine Oil
● Honda Genuine Motor Oil● Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container.
View attachment 133415 View attachment 133410 View attachment 133411 View attachment 133412 View attachment 133417 View attachment 133413 View attachment 133414
Ambient Temperature

So ANY 0W-20 with an API Certification Seal on it will be fine which represents if not 100% of what's on the market then 99.999% of what's on the market. I use either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 Extended Performance with a FRAM Ultra filter.
I stand corrected.

My Owners manual does say I may use Honda genuine or any API certified 0W-20 motor oil.

It also says I may also use synthetic API certified 0W-20.

My understanding is that synthetic lasts longer than non-synthetic and that the Honda genuine product is synthetic.

So how does the maintenance minder know how to calculate the next interval if I am being allowed to use products of varying durability?

Perhaps the maintenance minder is smart enough to detect that somehow. That would be impressive.

Or perhaps the maintenance minder is not that smart, and I should just ignore it and do my own calculations.

I prefer the former, but remain skeptical.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
We put 108K on out old Pilot before gifting it to our daughter. Of course it still runs like a watch. Oil changed by dealer per MM which worked out to be every 7K or so. New Pilot has about 3K on it and MM says 60% left for oil life. Tuesday it goes in for them to resolve the speaker popping issue. I think I'll tell them to change the oil to get the initial change done early.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I stand corrected.

My Owners manual does say I may use Honda genuine or any API certified 0W-20 motor oil.

It also says I may also use synthetic API certified 0W-20.

My understanding is that synthetic lasts longer than non-synthetic and that the Honda genuine product is synthetic.

So how does the maintenance minder know how to calculate the next interval if I am being allowed to use products of varying durability?

Perhaps the maintenance minder is smart enough to detect that somehow. That would be impressive.

Or perhaps the maintenance minder is not that smart, and I should just ignore it and do my own calculations.

I prefer the former, but remain skeptical.
The maintenance minder has no idea what you put in it. Don’t over think it...any 0W-20 will be synthetic and fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quick Tip:

Your recommended oil type is imprinted on the oil filler cap..... most newer cars do this now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just go by the maintenance minder. It tracks your driving habits. Each driver will end up with a different number. Stop and go city driving with short trips you may end up with 4k window. Mainly interstate you may get around 8 to 9k which is what I get. Any full synthetic will be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your replies.

This forum is great.

I did some oil shopping on Amazon where there are mostly 2 types of oil available in 0w-20.

Full synthetic and synthetic blend.

Honda genuine is a synthetic blend and charges $10 a quart

Full synthetic is supposedly better and longer lasting and costs $4-6 a quart

Mobil 1 is full synthetic and claiming 15,000 intervals

I’ll probably go with full synthetic and just listen to the maintenance minder, except for the first change which I’ll do around 50% oil life.

Thanks again and happy piloting. ?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I’ll probably go with full synthetic and just listen to the maintenance minder, except for the first change which I’ll do around 50% oil life.
Go with full synthetic, but do not reset the maintenance minder if you do an oil change at 50% oil life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go with full synthetic, but do not reset the maintenance minder if you do an oil change at 50% oil life.
Hmmm ? what is the down side to early resets?

Maybe I should just stick to the maintenance minder schedule and forget the early first oil change.

I

·
Registered
447 Posts
If Honda wanted you to do early break-in oil change that would have been programmed into the maintenance minder. But they recommend normal oil interval on first oil change.

On the AWD rear differential fluid for instance, they did program an early change at 15k miles for the first fluid change which is code B16. Then 30k miles for each change afterwards.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Registered
732 Posts

Maybe I should just stick to the maintenance minder schedule and forget the early first oil change.

I
It is my understanding that if you reset the MM early, you will disrupt the normal appearance of future maintenance reminders. The rear differential fluid replacement mentioned above usually does show on the MM around 15000 miles or so. If you have reset the MM twice already before that first item is due, I am afraid it would be delayed or not appear at all, thinking the service has been done already.

Right now having just had the MM reset at 9000 miles with the A1 service due, I now have the B service showing on the MM, even though I still have 100% oil life on the just changed oil. I think that if I reset the MM in a few more thousand miles the B service will disappear and then the A will be showing, before the B16 has a chance to show up. Not real sure if this is true (someone correct me if I am wrong) but I am not taking any chances of messing up any services due showing up. I want a record of when they show up and when they have been reset.

I think a dealer can use a device to reset early changes without messing up future notices, but no need for me to even mess with it or go to a dealer to do so. I will follow the MM other than doing more oil changes with filter changes WITHOUT resetting the MM until it is actually time to reset it.

Honda did at one time offer a synthetic blend 0W20, but I believe has now gone to a full synthetic. With rebates of usually $10.00-$12.00 for 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 or Pennzoil, I see no reason to even go with anything other than full synthetic. I usually find the jugs for less than $23.00 before rebate at Walmart or Meijers. You are right that the MM does not have any idea of what oil or type you have in the car, it goes by miles, rpms, temperature, and probable a few other parameters as far as I have read. It does not analyze the oil for contaminants or other factors.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've used Castrol EDGE 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter. I change both the oil and filter every 7500 miles even though the MM still shows life left. I'm hoping this is as good as Honda oil.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I’ve used nothing but Castrol standard and synthetic oil in all of my Honda vehicles since day 1. All have had early first oil + filter changes, and those with maintenance minders had oil + filter changed with no less than 30% oil life remaining. With impeccable engine longevity, some exceeding 200,000 miles before trading in, I’m confident that maintenance with Castrol oil and Honda oil filters will result in engines capable of going well beyond 200,000 miles without any internal engine work required.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Maybe I should just stick to the maintenance minder schedule and forget the early first oil change
Since the MM tracks all regular maintenance (not just oil changes), as mentioned in another reply, resetting the MM early can upset the service schedule for other items.
Go ahead and do an early first oil change, if you wish, just don't reset the MM at that time.

It's been recommend before, to those who lack confidence in the oil change intervals calculated by the MM, to do an extra oil change when the oil life reaches 50% - but without resetting the MM. Then, do the regularly scheduled oil change when the oil life reaches 0% - and only then reset the MM.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.