Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What's your average MPG in mixed driving?

• Less than 14 MPG and I\'m bringing it in for service to get checked out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than 14 MPG

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • 14 - 16 MPG

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • 17 - 18 MPG

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • 19 - 21 MPG

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • 22+ MPG

Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of mileage are you getting on average?

Been reading some posts on here that range from 14MPG to 23MPG in mixed driving.

That's sounds a bit odd. Then again, some people may have lead feet :)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
brooklynpilot said:
What kind of mileage are you getting on average?

Been reading some posts on here that range from 14MPG to 23MPG in mixed driving.

That's sounds a bit odd. Then again, some people may have lead feet :)
The 14MPG seems a bit low, but then their "mixed driving" is probably different than mine. :)

We took a 650 mile trip this last weekend - mainly 65 mph roads, but about 100 miles of it was in snowy conditions. Also a LOT of very strong head and side winds. Only 3 passengers most of the trip, but the Pilot was loaded with other gear (including 3 dogs). Our average was 21.7MPG for the entire trip. I consider this pretty decent considering the conditions and fully expect in the mid 20's under more "normal" driving at highway speeds.

YMMV

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm getting frustrated with my 16 MPG. I recently got as low as 12.9 MPG. As far as I can tell, there is nothing unusual about my route or driving habits. Is there something that I should have them look for in my 7500 mile checkup?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I get about 15 mpg, but most of my trips are 2 miles or less (I live a very short distance from my work).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Ferdball said:
I'm getting frustrated with my 16 MPG. I recently got as low as 12.9 MPG. As far as I can tell, there is nothing unusual about my route or driving habits. Is there something that I should have them look for in my 7500 mile checkup?
Don't laugh - but have you checked your tire pressures? Many dealers under-inflate tires on new vehicles to make them ride softer (even though there have been reports of over-inflated tires from the factory). I run 36-38 in mine and am more than happy with the ride.

YMMV

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've only used up one tank so far - 15mpg. Mostly country roads at about 45mph.

Anyone using reformulated gasoline????????

In Louisville were stuck with it and it typically lowers your efficiency by 2-3 mpg.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
boiler1991 said:

In Louisville were stuck with it and it typically lowers your efficiency by 2-3 mpg.
We have oxygenated fuel from Nov to Feb each winter here in Colorado. Typically, on each of my vehicles, I see about a 10% drop in mileage. Performance does not seem to be affected.

YMMV

rod

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been now hitting about 17mpg in mixed driving and my tires are at 33psi. I have about 1800mi on my Pilot.

Would inflating them to 36psi, as suggested, improve the ride but have a negative effect on handling, safety, etc?

Will this really improve MPG?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
brooklynpilot said:
I've been now hitting about 17mpg in mixed driving and my tires are at 33psi. I have about 1800mi on my Pilot.

Would inflating them to 36psi, as suggested, improve the ride but have a negative effect on handling, safety, etc?

Will this really improve MPG?
I think you will see some minimal improvement AT BEST from 33 to 36psi. When I suggested that people check their tire pressure, it was more for those that may be down around 26-30psi. I doubt you will feel much (if any) difference in handling/ride either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
boiler1991 said:

In MA we use RFG also. When we first went to it I do remember noticing a decrease in MPG but it was so long ago I don't even remember what I had for a car. The one really noticable difference is the smell.
I get 18.5 average MPG (with a lead foot)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 1800+ miles on my Pilot. I've been pretty disappointed so far- only averaging around 16 mpg, mostly city driving. However, today I filled up after driving 311 miles. Only took 13.2 gallons. This put me at 23.5 mgp!! I just don't get it! I wish I'd get 23.5 all the time though, that's for sure! BTW, about 100 of those miles were straight freeway driving, using cruise control.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Poor gas mileage

I also use RFG in Louisville and have beenn getting only 15.6 MPG average despite how I drive - light or heavy foot. I complained to the District Service rep with no response...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here in CT with the cold Winter (with my wife warming up the car) and mostly short, around town type of trips, we are getting 15 mpg after 2,500 miles. The mileage has improved from when it was new, but it seems to have leveled off now. I am some what disappointed and will ask the dealer if there are any adjustments that can be done. I am encouraged that many of you are getting 17+ mpg around town.

Everyone please post your MPG in the poll at the top of this thread and maybe we can use this info when talking to service depts about some of our poor results.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There was a thread sometime back that I copied and emailed to my Service Manager to prepare for the next District rep visit...

Mileage

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dirt, Thanks for the link to that old thread. It was instructive to read again. The Reader's Digest version of that lengthy thread is: some people get decent to good MPG and some people don't. Various possible reasons were given, but no one answer why the Pilot should have such a large variance, except that people drive differently and in different traffic conditions. My low MPG is still frustrating though - I guess I need to manage expectations a little better . . .

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Weight

Since you are moving a lot of weight, driving style and conditions have a lot to do with your milage.

Short trips, stop signs, lights and even curves burn fuel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everyone please post your MPG in the poll at the top of this thread and maybe we can use this info when talking to service depts about some of our poor results

Everytime I try to "vote" in a poll, it tells me I cannot do that because my sessions is invalid.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I doubt you get any help

There is not much the service guy can do to help your mileage.
If something in the fuel or ignition system is far enough off to affect the mileage the "Check Engine" light will come on.

So that leaves; Tire inflation, Winter gas, and Driving style.

I would like to hear back from anyone with a different experience.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Was getting 14-16 at first... After 4 months now getting 18 to 20. Same driving conditions. I need a life... :p

1 - 20 of 37 Posts