Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm narrowing down a knocking noise and was hoping someone could identify this part. It's the one next to the power steering pump. Where you can see the 2 bolts
Pipe Suspension part Suspension Nut Engine
Carmine Machine Nut Fuel line Engine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're referring to the two bolts on either the silver part or the two bolts on the black part both are parts of the passenger-side motor mount
Yep that's the one I was talking about. Would their be a knocking sound possibly coming from there?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yep that's the one I was talking about. Would their be a knocking sound possibly coming from there?
The two bolts on the silver part should be snug low torque and no movement between parts. The bolts on the other part could make some noise if the motor mounts are worn. When does the knocking sound occur?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two bolts on the silver part should be snug low torque and no movement between parts. The bolts on the other part could make some noise if the motor mounts are worn. When does the knocking sound occur?
It's a low noise constantly, but if I give it a lot of gas, like pulling into traffic, it knocks loudly and like a motorcycle almost. But once I get to a cruising speed or about 3rd gear, its quiet again. Slow acceleration its quiet too. I have video but cant figure out how to upload it. It says the site doesnt support it

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
740 Posts
It's a low noise constantly, but if I give it a lot of gas, like pulling into traffic, it knocks loudly and like a motorcycle almost. But once I get to a cruising speed or about 3rd gear, its quiet again. Slow acceleration its quiet too. I have video but cant figure out how to upload it. It says the site doesnt support it
Post videos to YouTube and provide a link

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
The video was inconclusive to me, but that engine mount can be easily disassembled to inspect, to see if its broken. Place a jack under the oil pan to support the engine. Remove the large 17mm bolt that runs perpendicular to the engine. Then remove the 14mm bolts (2x) that attach the mount to the the engine mount bracket. Once you remove the top portion of the mount, you will be able to see if the rubber in the mount is broken. The mount itself may be loose, not secured to the frame.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
If you have a bore scope you might be able to visually inspect it for a year before removing it. Also look for a brown stain underneath it. I recall mine leaked.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just FYI if you inspect that passenger side mount and discover it's bad, your front motor mount is likely on its way out as well, unless it was recently replaced.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Does it make the noise if you rev the engine in park? If it does, can you make a video of that side of the engine with the hood up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The video was inconclusive to me, but that engine mount can be easily disassembled to inspect, to see if its broken. Place a jack under the oil pan to support the engine. Remove the large 17mm bolt that runs perpendicular to the engine. Then remove the 14mm bolts (2x) that attach the mount to the the engine mount bracket. Once you remove the top portion of the mount, you will be able to see if the rubber in the mount is broken. The mount itself may be loose, not secured to the frame.
Ok, I'll check that next. I did have my wife rev it up while I listened and the motor moves up and down quite a bit. Idk if that's normal or not. I'd say a 3-4 inches
Does it make the noise if you rev the engine in park? If it does, can you make a video of that side of the engine with the hood up?
No. in park or neutral it doesn't make the noise unfortunately. In idle it's like a low engine knock noise, but coming only from.the passenger side

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I'll check that next. I did have my wife rev it up while I listened and the motor moves up and down quite a bit. Idk if that's normal or not. I'd say a 3-4 inches

No. in park or neutral it doesn't make the noise unfortunately. In idle it's like a low engine knock noise, but coming only from.the passenger side

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I'm afraid that it's your timing belt tensioner going bad.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
That was going to me my suggestion. It's located right behind/below that motor mount.
This is when we're supposed to say... Stop driving this vehicle until it's fixed. Sorry for the diagnosis @Bbolan 😮. Is a timing belt water pump job something you can DIY?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
On the other hand, be grateful it was caught before it completely failed, destroying the interference engine with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the other hand, be grateful it was caught before it completely failed, destroying the interference engine with it.

View attachment 142928
Sorry for the delayed response. It WAS the timing belt and water pump. It was worn really bad. I got lucky!

View attachment 142928

Yep. It was the belt lol. I got lucky it didnt break. I got the whole kit and replaced it. Runs like a champ. Thanks for all the help

1 - 20 of 25 Posts