Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what this hole by the fog light is for on a 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD? It is on both sides, driver's and passenge's. I thought It might be for adjusting the aim of the foglights from outside the vehicle. Unfortunately, if it is, I don't know what kind of tool to stick in the hole. I've tried both phillips and straight lade screwdrivers but neither seems to engage anything llke a screw head. A flashlight aimed at the hole isn't any help.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Doesn't look like it does a damn thing its also on my 2015 .. there is nothing behind it..

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The WSM shows it as access for height adjustment of the fog light. I pulled the wheelhouse liners to do that adjustment, and only saw the WSM description a few years (!!) later while looking at something else. Can't personally verify that it is actually usable for the adjustment, though.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Almost good as our Lube your shaft thread :p :ROFLMAO::p?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't look like it does a damn thing its also on my 2015 .. there is nothing behind it..
What's curious is that I can feel something behind the hole with a screwdriver on the driver's side but not on the passenger's side. I tried prying the covers off with a screwdriver and a spatula, but the fitment is so tight I could tell the paint on the bumper was going to get damaged so I decided to wait until I could get the right tool Standby!.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
For those who have a copy of the Service Manual, look on pages 22-275 and 22-276 in the Body section for Honda's description of Fog Light Adjustment. They show a tool (screwdriver) pointing in towards the lamp assy through that hole, turning to adjust up or down.

When I adjusted mine from the back via the wheelhouse areas, i just used fingers to rotate a cogged wheel a few clicks to raise the pattern off the ground immediately in front of the bumper. It appears by Honda's diagram that the screwdriver blade engages similar cogs/notches on top of the wheel.

Reactions: bradster

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
i'll be damned ...i looked yup i can agree with DR Bob on this one !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those who have a copy of the Service Manual, look on pages 22-275 and 22-276 in the Body section for Honda's description of Fog Light Adjustment. They show a tool (screwdriver) pointing in towards the lamp assy through that hole, turning to adjust up or down.

When I adjusted mine from the back via the wheelhouse areas, i just used fingers to rotate a cogged wheel a few clicks to raise the pattern off the ground immediately in front of the bumper. It appears by Honda's diagram that the screwdriver blade engages similar cogs/notches on top of the wheel.
Thanks again, dr bob … you're a treasure trove of good info. I realize this may not do you any good at this point but or any other it could help … I got a plastic trim removal tool and popped both fog light trim covers. The driver's side does indeed have an adjusting "gear" right behind the hole in the cover as pictured in the diagram you kindly provided. However, the passenger's side is another story. While the trim covers are mirror twins, the fog light housings are identical twins, so the adjusting "gear" on the passenger's side is on the opposite side of the housing than the hole in the cover!

Thinking maybe someone replaced the housing with the incorrect one, I checked the Honda OEM parts list and for the 2012 they list only one fog light housing number, although two L&R trim covers are listed. I checked subsequent years thinking Honda eventually caught up with this goof, but it wasn't until 2018 that they started listing L&R fog light housings for the Pilot. Aftermarket sources list all kinds of L&R for light housings all the way back to my 2012 and maybe beyond, so it's a known oversight.

At any rate, for anyone wanting to adjust their fog lights, simply popping the trim covers would be my suggestion as the easiest way to go. Folding back the wheel well liners an a good option, but I think popping the trim covers is as good or easier an alternative.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts