Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just picked up a 2011 Pilot EX-L and over on the left side sorta next to the "VSA" button, I have this strange thing ???
It looks like the left side is a button, the middle is a blue LED light that does flash, and the right side appears to be a button..

any clues ???

ty..don

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
It’s looks aftermarket.
What causes the light to blink? What happens if you press the button?
The icons look like a phone and an upside down fence. Not sure how they relate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s looks aftermarket.
What causes the light to blink? What happens if you press the button?
The icons look like a phone and an upside down fence. Not sure how they relate.

LOL... I'm afraid to push the buttons as I don't know what they will .... HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
I doubt it’s the driver seat ejector button. But passenger beware!! ?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
177 Posts
It looks like some component of a tracking device. Some of the models are marketed as having a SOS/panic button to send some distress call via the cellular modem (not sure exactly how that would work with a data-only connection as most of these trackers are, unless it's a third party service that monitors all the data).

I bought a new Accord a few years ago and the first day I had it home I was installing a subwoofer and discovered a GPS tracking device spliced into the wiring harness under the drivers side dashboard. It was a black box about 4"x2" with a single red LED, spliced into always-on 12V power wire (not the switched ignition power), and had a cellular modem SIM card inside of it. I threw it in the trash immediately as I never agreed to having it installed. My guess is that it was a remnant of a dealer-installed tracker to prevent theft from their lot, or it was pre-installed as a tracking service that they could easily upsell to suckers.

EDIT:
FOUND IT! It's a GuidePoint Systems Stolen Vehicle Location Monitoring/Recovery. The phone button is to connect to GuidePoint for E-Call Emergency Dispatch Service, and the other icon is their Security Fence and Automatic Theft Notification. Here's a video of someone unboxing one, it has the same buttons. Good luck removing that @#$%# rats nest.

It was probably installed by a dealer, for real-time inventory management and theft-prevention, and maybe even added during the sale as an 'accessory' with a huge markup. The Accord I mentioned earlier was super easy to remove, despite the T-taps that cut the insulation on a pretty heavy gauge power wire which I didn't want. When I bought my Pilot new in 2010, it had a similar 'alarm system' installed which they tried to add on to the sale and I declined. By not buying the 'alarm' they unclipped a module from a connector that was fastened to the lower dash trim with screws. Upon closer inspection I noticed T-taps EVERYWHERE with at least 10 different wires spliced for this system. I almost cancelled the sale, but instead they kept the car another day and swapped an original unspliced wiring harness and new lower dash trim piece without drilled holes, both from a new Pilot that was just delivered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts