Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What is the WORST car you've ever owned--and Why?

34547 Views 215 Replies 143 Participants Last post by  Duckstep
What is the WORST car you've ever owned--and Why?

Reading about the "lemons" that have been mentioned in other threads made me more curious about people's worst experiences with cars. :16: In contrast, we all should feel that much better about owning a PILOT!!!
201 - 216 of 216 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
1976 AMC Pacer Wagon. Had a vibration at 55 to 65 mph that would shake the car and at night cause interior lights to blink on and off like a light show. Problem never found after many many trips to the dealer. Finally dumped after 6 months. I was young and stupid and bought it off the showroom floor without a test drive. Hard lesson learned.

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,502 Posts
Never had a bad car. But one car I disliked was the wife’s favorite. I changed my mind after it gave its life and kept my son safe when rear ended at probably 50mph by a drunk car salesman from Muzi in Needham Ma.
He’s still on their payroll.

· Registered
13,321 Posts

· Registered
5,830 Posts
Wow this is an interesting one...

My '96 Accord was certainly my most boring car, but it was my first and I learned a lot of wrenching on that car so it holds a special place.

Probably the car I was happiest to get rid of was my Civic Si. The sad thing is that thing ha absolutely my favorite engine and transmission of any of the cars I've owned, but I was so uncomfortable in it because of how small the seat is for someone as tall, wide and rotund as me that my back would be killing me after about 30 minutes of driving.

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
Jeeps are an ez target to luv/hate. Ordered my 1994 Grand Cherokee with the right color and FT 4WD options. Liked the styling, seating and ride. One good move was selecting the 7yr/70k power train warranty over the 3yr/36k. The JGC was awesome in the snow and inclement weather conditions. But the JGC failed me marvelously twice :). Ignition coil crapped out locally after a 2600 mile trip then @50k the transmission died in my driveway with no warning. Never felt the same after the replacement transmission so it had to go.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
1998 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition

I know that there are thousands and thousands of Expeditions on the road and people haven't had any problems with theirs - mine on the other hand a GIGANTIC PIECE OF S**T!

here's the list of problems:

4 new engines in 4 years.
2 new dashboards
2 A/C system replacements
5 repairs to passenger/front seat belts
3 repairs to drivers side lumbar adjuster
countless repairs on the the electronic load-leveling suspension
countless "re-torquing" of the front suspension - kept coming lose
2 replacements of the cruise control system
4 replacements on front windshield wiper/turn signal control
3 replacements of rear wiper systems - kept burning out

The only things I didn't have a problem with was the 4-wheel drive system, the transmission and the stereo system.

When I approached Ford about replacing the vehicle they laughed it off. I threatened a lawsuit - they said "if you think you have a case go for it!"

The short story is, I found a lawyer and I'm now driving a new Honda PILOT thanks in large part of Ford Motor Company money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So, all I can say to Ford is this: I was a loyal Ford guy for 16-years (6 new/2 used vehicles in that time) and when I had a problem - they gave me the finger. Now those bastards won't get another dime of my money and I will bad mouth them any chance I get!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
I've owned 2 Expeditions in early 2000s. Both were junk and had to be traded before I sank a bunch of $ in them to keep them going.
More recently, We had a 2016 F150 with an EcoBoost we bought new. The vehicle never got the milage promised (we are 90% highway miles.) On the first oil change, we found it had a rear main seal leak. This is obviously from trying to eeek out more power than a 6 cylinder should. Took it to Ford. Their solution? They did replace the seal, but they put a heavier grade oil. So their goes more fuel economy. Waranty fears got the best of me and sold it. So to own this garbage for 3 years, it cost me about 25 grand. Not to smart in my opinion. Hence is why I have a 2017 Pilot EX-L I bought at auction and rebuilt. I didn't know 3rd gen Pilots were plagued with problems, but so far it seems to be working for us.

Reactions: aggrex

· Registered
5,830 Posts
Haha those Ecoboost engines make me laugh... tons of power but tons of reliability issues and horrible mileage since they are in boost to do anything other than drive 60 on flat ground.

I'll take a GM 6.2 or even a 5.3 over it anyday. Or a Hemi. Or a 5.7 'Yota. Or a 5.6 Nissan. Or a 5.0 Coyote. Pretty much anything but an Ecoboost.

Reactions: Nail Grease

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
Haha those Ecoboost engines make me laugh... tons of power but tons of reliability issues and horrible mileage since they are in boost to do anything other than drive 60 on flat ground.

I'll take a GM 6.2 or even a 5.3 over it anyday. Or a Hemi. Or a 5.7 'Yota. Or a 5.6 Nissan. Or a 5.0 Coyote. Pretty much anything but an Ecoboost.
I've got experience with Nissan NV with 5.6 V8 engines. They are amazing commercial delivery vehicles. We've have had Chevy and Ford's, but these win big time. Very few problems except the pesky P0420 and P0430 codes when your at 160k miles plus. I saw one on Copart the other day that had over 400k miles.

Reactions: cintocrunch

· Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,186 Posts
My wife’s lemon was a 1997 Dodge Stratus. I share a large portion of the blame because she wanted an Accord but I told her we should purchase a domestic. It’s too bad the mechanicals on that car fell apart since the cabin was super comfortable for both front and rear passengers. The extended warranty paid for itself after the rear brakes had to be replaced twice along with a partial engine replacement (freeze plugs on the block failed; the vehicle was never parked outside in freezing weather). We dumped that car shortly after the extended warranty expired and are still driving its replacement (2005 Pilot).

Reactions: plplplpl

· Registered
2022 Honda Pilot AWD Sport, Silver/Black
111 Posts
'83 Renault Encore hatchback. Had trouble getting up even moderately sloped hills. Totaled it when I hit a deer coming home one late night. Thanks, Bambi, for giving me an excuse to get rid of that hunk of junk.

· Registered
2020 Honda Pilot AWD
4 Posts
First car I bought after working a few months after graduating high school. 2004 ford mustang base model. I just had to have a sports car, jacked up interest and insurance rates for being young and dumb.
Fish tailed so many times on wet roads because of how light it was (it had to have a tail fin just to compensate this problem, and yet there I was driving sideways on the highway). and the power steering was always acting up and spent many times on the side of the road doing repairs. Ford intentionally makes their vehicles with plenty of working space because of this. it finally got repo'd, best thing that ever came of that car.

201 - 216 of 216 Posts